What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC 2nd Semi Final Australia v England - Birmingham 11/7/19

JJ

Immortal
Well don’t forget we were 5/90 agai st both Winidies and NZ before they both bottled it.

I wonder if that was a cunning move by Kane - keeping a team he knew we had the measure of on top of the table...

Considering there was a thought we'd make up the numbers at this World Cup makes it pleasing we were 2 on table and lost to the eventual champions in a semi.

Ouch, that reads a bit like Sachin's good luck message to Dhoni... we're playing too remember!

JJ

Immortal
I'm just suggesting that Sir Baz wasn't the first captain to decide to score quickly. Probably the first to claim it though.
for the record I am no uber fan of Saint Baz - although I do think he was a fine leader for NZ cricket

vvvrulz

Coach
I'm just suggesting that Sir Baz wasn't the first captain to decide to score quickly. Probably the first to claim it though.

It's not just Sir Baz going on the tonk though. He instilled a few parts of the package such as getting the nation behind him, the whole 'aggressive-but-nice' shtick, consistent / faith selections, fielding out of your skin (even more than New Zealand's previously good standards), bowling out your best bowlers early with no mid-innings respites. He also got better use out of his mid-range players who took turns finding form.

Williamson hasn't quite done the same, we were better four years ago, but you can tell the same thinking is there.

JJ

Immortal
Williamson hasn't quite done the same, we were better four years ago, but you can tell the same thinking is there.

Williamson is a different character - TBH his captaincy was very passive most of the WC, but I thought he was tremendous in the semi... I also think we're probably a better side than last time overall - except the openers who are diabolical this time- and Latham has done little...

But to me Neesham is a step up over Elliott/Anderson, and Colin is at least equal, Santner has done a Vetorri like job but is better with the bat, Boult and Henry have been excellent, Ferguson is a step above Milne (then Henry in 2015) - and Williamson and Taylor are unquestionably world-class - that semi win had a lot to do with their cricket intellect imo

Last time TBH we were lucky to beat RSA - this time we looked India in the eye and took them down... a tight, scrappy, ugly game... it was brilliant!!

Travitoh

First Grade
England more than deserved last night's result. I didn't see them bat but the job their bowlers did on the Australian top order really exposed the passengers in the Australian side. Morgan's captaincy was great and Woakes has quietly had an outstanding World Cup.

Too good England.

JJ

Immortal
God bless Andrew Flintoff.

He won us an Ashes in 2005 as a player; and he's won us a further 4 since due to the PTSD and penis envy he imposed on the Aussie selectors.
But was he an elite professional athlete like Marcus? Hell no!

Bazal

Post Whore
Ah well. Poms too good with the ball. Bloody hard to come back from 3/dick all against a side that can score runs for fun.

On the plus side we will have a first time winner. That's pretty cool

Timbo

Staff member
It's a bit of a joke that Roy didn't get a ban. You can't stand at the wicket and shout 'f**king embarrassment' at an umpire regardless of the decision. Especially given the game wasn't even close to being tight, so he can't use the excuse that the tension of the moment got to him.

JJ

Immortal
It's a bit of a joke that Roy didn't get a ban. You can't stand at the wicket and shout 'f**king embarrassment' at an umpire regardless of the decision. Especially given the game wasn't even close to being tight, so he can't use the excuse that the tension of the moment got to him.
Agree 100%

Latest posts