What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCC - Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm

Didgi

I have to agree, I would have liked the ARLC put some caveats around the extra $4.2mill NRL grant that included a min spend on Jnrs and a closer link up with the VRL.

We have developed more Jnr talent out of WA than Victoria and they have the benefit of a NRL team and many millions of $'s funding

And direct competition from what, 8 more AFL systems, 2 soccer clubs and 2 rugby clubs. I'm probably one of a few but I don't think we should be that harsh on the Storm. Kids in their area are brought up on AFL, fair enough it's been close to 15 years but it might take a bit longer for the production line to really kick in. It's encouraging to me that they bring through players from their junior grades, over time naturally they'll fill up with Victorians and then we'll see a steady stream.

Harrigan

Juniors
As far as modernising Headingley goes, they built the Carnegie Stand and were meant to be doing the southstand last year but had to pay the RFL £1m for some reason I can't remember. This put it on the back burner. Then they decided to prioritise the pitch.

The Southstand will happen in the next couple of years as a larger version of what Warrington have. They even knocked the supporters bar down in the southstand car park in preparation for it. There was a vote to see what type of stand we were going for. The Leeds fans voted for an updated, all standing area instead if a seating standing mix. Originally Leeds wanted it to hold 12k instead of the 8k it holds now but residents around the area stopped the 4m rise in the height so it'll be a similar size to what it is now.

Then the main, north stand will be last. It can't be done though until the cricket side decide to do theirs as its the same structure and both parties have to have the money to complete it together. I can't see that being too long though because its the only area of the cricket side that hasn't been redone in the last decade.

As for the Western Terrace, it's the only part of the ground that can't have much done with it. Directly Behind the terrace is a public walkway. About 2 metres the otherside of the back of the terrace are people's gardens. Maybe 10/15m or so away from the terrace are people's houses. That means we can't go higher and can't really roof it. There was talk a year or so ago that Caddick (owner of Leeds and owns a big construction company) was going to buy the houses to demolish them, but I'm not sure how real that was. There is a brand new scoreboard and a permanent big screen (10m by 10m) on there though which all adds to the game day experience. Even non televised games are shown on the screen with replays after incidents and tries and have been for the last 3 years. I don't know any other team in the league that has, or does that.

I agree, it does need modernising and is in the process. It doesn't just happen over night though and it costs money. The size is good though. Leeds haven't had a 20,000 crowd in 4 years but are always between 75% and 90% full.

thorson1987

Coach
And direct competition from what, 8 more AFL systems, 2 soccer clubs and 2 rugby clubs. I'm probably one of a few but I don't think we should be that harsh on the Storm. Kids in their area are brought up on AFL, fair enough it's been close to 15 years but it might take a bit longer for the production line to really kick in. It's encouraging to me that they bring through players from their junior grades, over time naturally they'll fill up with Victorians and then we'll see a steady stream.

Exactly.

We have had SG ball for a couple of years (majority of players from Melbourne) who lost the grand final to Bulldogs in 2012

This year we also have a Harold Matts side where most of the players would have been born the year before we came into the comp.

I'd say we have done pretty well considering it isMelbourne.

And PR, how many players who have played all their junior footy in WA are in the NRL?

Teddyboy

First Grade

Melbourne is working and I just wish London Bronco's where the same.

Didgi

Melbourne is working and I just wish London Bronco's where the same.

Don't mention London! They have Dan Sarginson, who was born in Perth, and now we'll have PR in here tooting their horn again. Although given he's just about the only thing to come out of Perth he hasn't mentioned, maybe I've just alerted him to the fact.

Back on topic... London are starting to (very slowly) crank into gear as well, in that some junior talent is starting to come through. Sarginson is one, Dixon and Krasniqi are others, from memory all England Academy players which shows they can produce the talent easily enough. If they had the support the Storm have had, instead of battling financially and playing in front of 5k max, I reckon they'd be doing really well. How many big soccer clubs are there in London, not to mention the Rugby. Over here League is probably second in Melbourne, whereas in London it would be a far third at best.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly.

We have had SG ball for a couple of years (majority of players from Melbourne) who lost the grand final to Bulldogs in 2012

This year we also have a Harold Matts side where most of the players would have been born the year before we came into the comp.

I'd say we have done pretty well considering it isMelbourne.

And PR, how many players who have played all their junior footy in WA are in the NRL?

Well players who started their Jnr footy in WA (then had to move as we had no SG Ball until 2010) are:

Bronx&Bryson Goodwin
Jon Green
Curtis Rona (first SG Ball product)
Le Tee Marri
in SL
Cory Patterson
Daniel holdsworth

We also have about a dozen WA Jnrs now playing in Q'land and NSW cup teams

I agree Storm are finally getting it together re jnr development but shame it has taken them a decade to do it!

Perth Red

Post Whore
ps Former South Perth,Perth Kiwi and State player Scotty Jones ,has signed with the Canberra Raiders so chalk up another one for WA!