What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Are Not Number 1!!!

carlnz

Bench
While he could not imagine the Kangaroos being considered underdogs, Mason declared the Kiwis the No.1 team after ending Australia's 27-year unbeaten record in a series or tournament with last year's 24-0 thrashing in the Tri-Nations final at Elland Rd.

I'm sick of all this talk that we (Kiwis) are the number won ranked team in the World. Since last years final we have played 6 games winning only two.

We have lost 3-0 to Australia so i believe Australia are the number one team and the fact they have won the last 6 World Cups. Even if the Kiwis win this Weekend i still believe you have to win the World Cup to be number one.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I think NZ are number one at the moment because unlike union for example the world cup is the biggest achievement in the game, leagues best 3 countries play in the tri nations so you are number one if you win it. Histortically Kangeroos will probably be the best league team of all time though.

miccle

Bench
NZ - the Tri Nations Champions, for another few days. Definitely still the big #1 around their necks for a few more hours.

bobbis

Juniors
The Kiwis are TriNations champions, at least till the weekend, however they're not ranked no.1.

hutch

First Grade
bobbis said:
The Kiwis are TriNations champions, at least till the weekend, however they're not ranked no.1.

i agree. the number 1 ranking has to be earnt over a period of time. how long, i dunno.

bartman

Immortal
I'd always rated the Kiwi's number 1 based on their performance in last year's tournament. Like tennis rankings, that outcome shouldn't be "erased" until the completion of this year's equivalent tournment.

I don't count the mid-year tests for Kiwis, because they can't field a full strength choice without club releases in the opposite hemisphere. Sure, they're only going with one northern hemisphere player at the moment, but that's beside the point.

Having said that I'd still rate Australia to be favourites for this final game, and should they take the Tri-nations obviously they'd take my number one ranking into next year.

Jeffles

Bench
I tried to bet on the Kiwis today and the bookie turned me away. "No bookie in the world will be stupid enough to take your money. They're dead certs to beat Australia. They're the number 1 team in the world."

No pressure NZ! :p

Hindmarshfan

Juniors
NZ are #1 , they won when it counted.. if they do it again on sat they will still be no1.

good luck to them if they do.. hope Roos regain it though

Micistm

Bench
It's a nice feeling to be Tri Nations champions...and it would be awesome for Kiwi fans to see it again this weekend (Although our media will still not really give them the credit if they do, instead doing the usual All Black raving and going on about 'Grannygate'). However, #1?! Yeah right. Take out the officials adjusting rules to suit themselves, and the fact remains the Aussies are the yardstick all other League teams measure themselves against. Of course they're favourites. The Kiwis would need to consistantly win tournaments for a few years to get that kind of mana. Lose this weekend, no matter how close, good, or tough the game is- And out will come the knockers, saying how last year was a flukey one off.