What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE ARE THE REAL DEAL

TruSaint

Referee
images

tenor.gif

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Can some of the smarter posters here tell me the difference between the first 6 games of 2018 and now ? Why won't we burn out ?
Not sure if i quality for your category Denis, but a couple of things come to mind. Firstly, i’m not sure that our representative contribution will be as high; (unless we keep winning); our overall game plan has more options and not as limited as it was then; healthy competition for positions in both backs and forwards where as position were then guaranteed irrespective of form; more overall talent and skill in the backline both defensively and in attack; better rotation and more effective use of the bench. Stronger kicking game. Greater motivation to play for the coach and superior coach staff all round. Higher motivation level as many players have their final opportunity to impress for either contract extension or before retirement. Better balance of youth and experience in the team. Players that are injured can now be replaced where as we continued to select DeBelin despite his obvious hip injury. Finally, arguably fitter.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I have been down this road way too many times with Mary to get excited yet but we are playing a good brand, albeit a brand that looks hard to sustain. Hopefully we have a bit of evolution in our game and can really start to control possession with repeat sets etc to save some juice. In saying that its Monday and I'm counting down the days until our next game already and especially the Anzac clash.

kit66

Bench
Not sure we have the quality and depth in the forwards to be the real deal and not fall away later in the season. But I am hoping wholeheartedly that I am wrong.

I just came to write the same thing. Our depth in the backs and halves is pretty good but an injury or two to our starting pack and we're in the pooh I think. McGuire will strengthen our stocks and JDB would be handy but apart from that our reserves aren't great. Our NSW cup team in the last two weeks have been flogged 40-6 and 40-8 letting in 15 tries and scoring just 3. I don't know why we haven't made a serious play for A.Fifita for the rest of the year, maybe $$$ is the issue but I'd feel a whole better with him or similar there as well. Also if McCullough goes down before Hunt is back we'll suffer badly with no experienced or decent back up. Sounds gloomy but just look around at other teams to see what a few injuries can do.
On the bright side we've banked some handy wins and should be able to add to that with 3 very winable games over the next 4 weeks against Warriors, Doggies and Wests, we might even surprise everyone on Anzac day too.
Basically, it's a bit early to be popping the champagne corks but by all means hook into those long necks, we deserve a few of those.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Not sure we have the quality and depth in the forwards to be the real deal and not fall away later in the season. But I am hoping wholeheartedly that I am wrong.
As I said IF we can play like we did in the first 40 at Bankwest ( and obviously that wont happen every week) then we will be a competative outfit deep into the season....like any teams in the comp injuries, suspensions etc will play its part....and as you rightly say depth may be an issue, but right now we are the real deal based on our expectations at the start of the season

smi962

First Grade
As I said IF we can play like we did in the first 40 at Bankwest ( and obviously that wont happen every week) then we will be a competative outfit deep into the season....like any teams in the comp injuries, suspensions etc will play its part....and as you rightly say depth may be an issue, but right now we are the real deal based on our expectations at the start of the season

We win the comp if we always play like we did in the first 20 mins. We were flawless but as you mentioned, the challenge is playing somewhere near that level consistently

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I have been down this road way too many times with Mary to get excited yet but we are playing a good brand, albeit a brand that looks hard to sustain. Hopefully we have a bit of evolution in our game and can really start to control possession with repeat sets etc to save some juice. In saying that its Monday and I'm counting down the days until our next game already and especially the Anzac clash.
Mate being the real deal doesnt mean we will win the comp or even be in the 4...but it does mean atm we are the real deal and are competative when you compere it to where weve been of late

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Look let me state this when I created this new post it was stated with no illusions that we could win the comp or even make the 4, Ive been around this club long enough to know its early days yet and it would be naive and foolish to suggest we should start popping the champagne corks....my post was based purely on the facts thus far in that we have exceeded all our expectations and wont be the easy beats of the comp and wooden spoon contenders that was predicted by many....hence my We Are The Real Deal

Gareth67

First Grade
Maybe we all think differently about what being the real deal is. I think about it as meaning we are very serious premiership contenders

Yes that is a long way of - being serious premiership contenders . At this point we are becoming a good rugby league team , however as said by many if injuries begin to take a toll on the Dragons then we could find ourselves in a bit of bother .

In saying that , I do believe that should the team continue to go from strength to strength then the Big Red V will become serious contenders for a semi final spot at season’s end .

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Mate being the real deal doesnt mean we will win the comp or even be in the 4...but it does mean atm we are the real deal and are competative when you compere it to where weve been of late
Of course but under Mary we have been on similar, and actually better runs. We have led the comp early in several years. I don't mean to be a downer but these are facts. Hook isn't getting ahead of himself nor should we. Personally I feel we will at least make the 8, but I won't be celebrating yet. We still need a lot of luck. We are very light on depth.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
What contributes to us heading towards being the real deal is Jack Bird. He is a class player and lifts the game of others around him. He and Lomax will be a driving force for the improvements we will see in our backline this year.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What contributes to us heading towards being the real deal is Jack Bird. He is a class player and lifts the game of others around him. He and Lomax will be a driving force for the improvements we will see in our backline this year.
I agree, I stated some weeks back that Birdy just adds that bit of aggression and X factor to our backline and I think his presence in the backline lifts the young blokes like Dufty, Ramsay and Lomax....he is older and wiser now albeit a bit slower than he was pre injuries but when he gets more confident in his body he will prove a handful

BLM01

First Grade
Ive stated on here a few times over the past few weeks that I wasnt getting to carried away with our wins ....BUT if we can replicate in particular that first 40mins against the Eels I will be getting excited.....based on that performance no team will hold any fears for us....as I said last night to win against packed opposition stadiums is a good testiment of our resolve, belief in our selves and game management.....well done Hook and staff for turning this club around and putting back some spirit and hope to not only our players but our supporter base as well
This week is our biggest test thus far. Being favourites.
We all know how that has ended up in recent history.

BLM01

First Grade
Not sure if i quality for your category Denis, but a couple of things come to mind. Firstly, i’m not sure that our representative contribution will be as high; (unless we keep winning); our overall game plan has more options and not as limited as it was then; healthy competition for positions in both backs and forwards where as position were then guaranteed irrespective of form; more overall talent and skill in the backline both defensively and in attack; better rotation and more effective use of the bench. Stronger kicking game. Greater motivation to play for the coach and superior coach staff all round. Higher motivation level as many players have their final opportunity to impress for either contract extension or before retirement. Better balance of youth and experience in the team. Players that are injured can now be replaced where as we continued to select DeBelin despite his obvious hip injury. Finally, arguably fitter.

No the media shortsightedness has started.
Heard on MMM tonight they reckon Vaughan and Sims would walk into origin if it was picked today.
Here we go again!