What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE ARE THE REAL DEAL

Datramp

Juniors
2018 was all power game. Our bench rotation has been better so far. Our selections have been better. I have yet to see a winger picked as a prop.

We have huge amounts of salary cap out. McGuire, de Belin and McInnes and we have forward coverage.

Based on the first 5 rounds, subject to injury, we will be competitive in every game.

My expectations have risen from a 12-16 finish to a 7-11 finish.

My reasoning is:

Our Canterbury Cup forward depth is non existent with the exception of Ford and perhaps Chalker.

Wyshart/Clune back up hookers.

Macca and Bird have had their injury issues in the past.

The important thing is the team has the right mentality. They realise they have some way to go to compete with Penrith and Melbourne and they are hungry to improve.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Early days, but certainly the signs are encouraging under Hook. Injuries and luck will also have some bearing on how the mighty Dragons fair in season 2021.
I really enjoyed Hook’s interview on NRL 360 last night with his straightforward no bullshit honesty.
His last answer to where you see the Dragons this year:
“A team that plays for each other, that enjoys their footy and that the fans can be proud of”
Boom boom....nailed it & anything extra is a bonus!

Walpole

Juniors
It's amazing what a game plan, good use of the bench and a bit of confidence can achieve. Realistically you'd probably think Penrith, Melbourne and Souths are a cut above us but the Roosters have plenty of injuries, Canberra and Parramatta aren't as good as their fans think, Titans are in the same boat as us and the rest are all very beatable. Injuries and inevitable form slumps over a long season will play a part but damn, we've got a team worth following again!

kit66

Bench
This week is our biggest test thus far. Being favourites.
We all know how that has ended up in recent history.

This could be the hardest game of the round to pick.
The Warriors are always a tough one, they're so unpredictable. They could come out one week and beat this years Penrith team and the next week get flogged by this years Doggies, so inconsitent, so hard to know what version of themselves they're rolling out each week.
I love the way Hook's game plans unfold each week, he had us playing such simple footy last week, playing straight and focusing our attack up the middle over and over and in defence getting quickly off our line and hitting as hard as possible. Long kicks and a great kick chase. Each week I'm seeing subtle differences in the game plan, hard to pin point exactly what without finer analysis but you can sense it. Hook & Co do their homework on our opposition, hope they've got some secret weapons for the boys this week.

Illusion

Bench
The Warriors are always a tough one, they're so unpredictable. They could come out one week and beat this years Penrith team and the next week get flogged by this years Doggies, so inconsitent, so hard to know what version of themselves they're rolling out each week.
I love the way Hook's game plans unfold each week, he had us playing such simple footy last week, playing straight and focusing our attack up the middle over and over and in defence getting quickly off our line and hitting as hard as possible. Long kicks and a great kick chase. Each week I'm seeing subtle differences in the game plan, hard to pin point exactly what without finer analysis but you can sense it. Hook & Co do their homework on our opposition, hope they've got some secret weapons for the boys this week.
RAV ......

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Early days, but certainly the signs are encouraging under Hook. Injuries and luck will also have some bearing on how the mighty Dragons fair in season 2021.
I really enjoyed Hook’s interview on NRL 360 last night with his straightforward no bullshit honesty.
“A team that plays for each other, that enjoys their footy and that the fans can be proud of”
I reckon Hook would be great poker player the expressions on his face never change....doesnt let his right hand know what the left is doing........I was a bit amused and dont know if you noticed it but early in the interview on NRL 360 he kept referring to our club as Saint George..,then after a few references he must have thought shit hang on its St George Illawarra and you could see he balked a bit then added the Illawarra bit from then on.....and as you say what a refreshing change and no bullshit interview a bit different from what we encountered with the other bloke

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I reckon Hook would be great poker player the expressions on his face never change....doesnt let his right hand know what the left is doing........I was a bit amused and dont know if you noticed it but early in the interview on NRL 360 he kept referring to our club as Saint George..,then after a few references he must have thought shit hang on its St George Illawarra and you could see he balked a bit then added the Illawarra bit from then on.....and as you say what a refreshing change and no bullshit interview a bit different from what we encountered with the other bloke
He’s a man who knows what’s correct..

possm

Coach
Based on the first 5 rounds, subject to injury, we will be competitive in every game.

My expectations have risen from a 12-16 finish to a 7-11 finish.

My reasoning is:

Our Canterbury Cup forward depth is non existent with the exception of Ford and perhaps Chalker.

Wyshart/Clune back up hookers.

Macca and Bird have had their injury issues in the past.

The important thing is the team has the right mentality. They realise they have some way to go to compete with Penrith and Melbourne and they are hungry to improve.
Yes reserve grade is a bit thin but will get stronger as the season goes on. I feel sure we still have enough cap left to recruit what we need to do the job.

I am still predicting a top 4 finish.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yes reserve grade is a bit thin but will get stronger as the season goes on. I feel sure we still have enough cap left to recruit what we need to do the job.

I am still predicting a top 4 finish.
Wow thats a big call Poss.....my post was in relation to we arnt the push overs from yesteryear......but I like your thinking mate

Crush

Coach
Just on injuries, I think the player who we most rely on to stay fit all year is McCulloch. If he goes down I think we struggle.
Also don’t want to lose Bird, he seems to be our motivational leader for the young blokes like Ramsey, Rava, Lomax Duff.
I reckon Bird is the reason Lomax is hitting like a Mack truck these days.

Edit : Touching wood, please don’t let anyone get injured, thanks :pray:

itsme

Juniors
Can some of the smarter posters here tell me the difference between the first 6 games of 2018 and now ? Why won't we burn out ?
Very good question.

My fear is that this high intensity and very physical style may not be sustainable over a long year.

Time will tell...

blacksafake

First Grade
I wouldn’t be surprised if Elliot is the one devising the attacking plan & analysing our opposition. He is very cluey when it comes to this part of the game.

Maddragon99

Juniors
So as things stand we have one roster spot available for this year plus one held open for JdB.

You’d think Hook is looking for a player who’s a utility that can cover dummy half in case McCullough picks up a injury.

JdB is back in court this week with a decision due in 3-4wks. If he’s found guilty then we’ll have enough money for another middle forward.

Anyway watch this space more announcements to come.

Crush

Coach
I knew they were talking about 2nd Brisbane team but I didn't think they'd be basing it in Wollongong
Haha, I like that.
How’s the mood up there with Kevin?
Reckon he can lift you out of another wooden spoon contention?

Latest posts