What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We can hold our heads up!!

yy_cheng

Coach
It was a good loss.

Before the game, I guessed it would be either Monaghan or Stewart to rip us appart.

I hope we lose again like that against the dogs. Why? Then we will realize that we HAVE to play for the full 80, not just say it. Then we can go onto the finals with more mettle in our minds.

The Bronco's loss was real bad. We played crap in the 2nd half and won. Psychologically, the player's will have in their heads @Oh, we win it later@

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
wasn't really much in it, especially when you look at tries they were awarded and tries that we fluffed

I'd be happy to play Manly again in the finals with Caylo and Yoshi back

Eelementary

Post Whore
Extenuating circumstances, people. How easy do you think it would be to get really fired up for a game of footy when your captain and good mate is going through hell?

It's not an excuse, but it does (at least to me) give a good reason as to why a lot of the blokes may not have been 100% focused on the job. It's just footy. But Mrs. Cayless' passing was a tragic event and far more important. I'd be willing to bet that guys like Nathan Hindmarsh, PJ and others were probably not 100% focused on the game because they were thinking about the sad events.

Also, an in-form Yoshi was a late withdrawal, and we had to make Fui (a brilliant impact front-rower) start the match and make 32 tackles.

We were also missing the NRL's top points-scorer and goal-kicker, and arguably one of the best support fullbacks in the game.

All this, and we only lost by 8 points to a red-hot, in-form, full-strength Manly side. Give the boys a break.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
JOB 3:14 said:
Our defence was very weak. To concede over 30 pts at home, and two tries, identical in nature, when the match hung in the balance, is very poor. Every time Manly ventured into our own half they scored. Very disappointing. There is no reason to hold your head high with a defensive performance like that. What the hell is the go with that stupid sliding defence when we are on our own line and we start to shuffle backwards? By the time our defenders are ready to make a tackle they are standing inside their own in goal for F*%^s sake!!
Manly supporters can hold their heads high. That was a great performance by them, even though they got the benefit of the doubt from the ref on most occasions.

I would like to know about this also Job.

yy_cheng

Coach
Eelementary said:
Extenuating circumstances, people. How easy do you think it would be to get really fired up for a game of footy when your captain and good mate is going through hell?

It's not an excuse, but it does (at least to me) give a good reason as to why a lot of the blokes may not have been 100% focused on the job. It's just footy. But Mrs. Cayless' passing was a tragic event and far more important. I'd be willing to bet that guys like Nathan Hindmarsh, PJ and others were probably not 100% focused on the game because they were thinking about the sad events.

Also, an in-form Yoshi was a late withdrawal, and we had to make Fui (a brilliant impact front-rower) start the match and make 32 tackles.

We were also missing the NRL's top points-scorer and goal-kicker, and arguably one of the best support fullbacks in the game.

All this, and we only lost by 8 points to a red-hot, in-form, full-strength Manly side. Give the boys a break.

Ele, if that was the case, we should have lossed by alot more.

It was just the same old thing week in week out this lapse in intensity. It wasn't the whole game. If we went out flat and got thrashed,
then I would say they were preoccupied by something else. But we were in the game for a good long time.

Look, I don't know about you but alot of people when their minds are occupied, they aren't really thinking about loved ones.
It's only when they have some time to themselves that the grief hits them.

I doubt that when you are knackered, and have big burly forwards running at you, you suddenly reflect on Mrs Cayless.

If it did, they would dig deeper and do it for her.

Maroubra Eel said:
I would like to know about this also Job.

I was screaming at the TV for them to move up....couldn't for the life of me figure out what the hell was going on....

Oh and yeah Suity...another thing I was screaming at the Tv was for someone to run with Feliti...happnened so many times that it nearly was funny....except we were being beaten by Manly.

I notice Hages mentioned that there are things that crept in that they need to discuss...hopefully goal line defence and support play are tow of them.

We should have won that game yesterday.

V1er

Juniors
Our support play was terrible yesterday. A player should always follow the ball in case of offloads and it shouldnt just be the fullbacks job either.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
V1er said:
Our support play was terrible yesterday. A player should always follow the ball in case of offloads

True, you've gotta do everything in numbers and not just in case of offloads either - if you can get the defence thinking about the support runners they don't get as much chance to gang up on the ball carrier.

Suitman

Post Whore
V1er said:
Our support play was terrible yesterday. A player should always follow the ball in case of offloads and it shouldnt just be the fullbacks job either.

Exactly - it can be any one of the other 11 players on the field.

Suity

V1er

Juniors
It also seems once with give it to a runner, we just set up for the next play, no one even bothers to loom up in support just in case he passes the ball.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I can't believe people don't follow Mateo everytime he takes a hit up. He looks lioke he can get the ball away at will. i've being saying this all year and the only time we really did it was against the Tiger's.

yy_cheng

Coach
I like the way that Paulo or (Weller) slipped a pass to Hayne on our own line. Manly were trying to gang tackle Junior/Weller and Hayne was away.

This is the stuff we should do more of. We have Caylo, Cordoba, Paulo, Feleti and even Hindy who can slip balls away.

Maybe the likes of Inu and Tahu should also follow them.

yy_cheng said:
I like the way that Paulo or (Weller) slipped a pass to Hayne on our own line. Manly were trying to gang tackle Junior/Weller and Hayne was away.

This is the stuff we should do more of. We have Caylo, Cordoba, Paulo, Feleti and even Hindy who can slip balls away.

Maybe the likes of Inu and Tahu should also follow them.

Yeah it was Paulo that slipped that pass. I thought He and Weller went very good considering how much 1st grade time they've had. Future looks really good with those boys and Cordoba.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not to say that Hauraki and Paulo can't play but I'm sure their flaws were a big part of our poor goal line defence yesterday.

That said, Weller Hauraki runs hard and deserves credit for that, and Paulo showed good confidence to pop that ball inside our 10m.

yy_cheng

Coach
I really think we should try it for 20mins in a game.

Burt, Hayne and Inu's footwork and speed off the mark would get them into open spaces so much more than our usual backline movements.

Have a 20 min period where they just follow the likes of Feleti, et al roaming free.

richo74

Juniors
on Luke Burt i think it is not only his support play but his general play kicking as well, after watching the game again most of our big clearing kicks went straight to players where Burts tend to find open space

hippy

Juniors
Despite yesterday’s result I think Parramatta put in a noble and valiant effort. Initially I was very concerned because without our Courageous Captain Caylo and Josh we were lacking some real fire up the front but I was very proud of the effort.

There were some tremendous individual performances yesterday. Inu was very good, as were Weller and Paulo. Timmy was SENSATIONAL. The kid needs his own thread. He was enthusiastic, wobbling his head, barking instructions and there were so many good kicks from Tim that I lost count. GO TIM! Hindy, although I know will be disappointed was wonderful and Benny put in too.

We are missing some really important players at the moment and are not close to full strength. We were unlucky too with calls and bounces of the ball. Although some of the tries were let in were disappointing, these are things that can only improve.

We are SO on the right track!