What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We can't deny it - there is a problem in Sydney

RL1908

Bench
lol sounds like superleague and ARL but at different times of the year. maybe AFL is doing it wrong then. Get the players into just 2 melbourne teams and beef up the rest of the country. I think many AFL melbourne fans would be up in arms and not support the clubs.

Also, hasn't it been suggested our elite players are getting too much footy. If they are expected to play in two comps (in order to keep interest in the two comps, plus origin, plus play for Australia I don;t think they could do it. One or the other comp would have to suffer the loss of the elite players. Young players coming through would not have the opportunity to play with them and against them which might suggest the standard of players coming through could suffer.

Don't get me wrong I think these debates are healthy and positive.

I do think expansion is definitely needed and perhaps over time reduction in Sydney teams if they cannot meet pre defined criteria within pre define timetables.

Yes sounds a little like super league plan for 2009.

Just don;t bring back that ugly big 'S' on the jersey's please!!

The proposal was to simply divide the season, not to make the season any longer or to play more games (apart from the equivalent of a Super 14 semi and final, and obviously not every player will be in those 3 games).

Pigskin

Juniors
If you guys are suggesting that "marquee" players play the first half of the year in Adel/Perth/SC/NZ etc and then the second half the year in Brisbane/Sydney which is being suggested ... ummm think again

Oink !

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Stop believing ALL THE CRAP spewed out by the media, it's just creating hysteria.

This is what is wrong with league:

- News Ltd involvement resulting in self interested decision making.

- lack of a plan for the next 5-10 years eg. future growth etc

- NO LEADERSHIP in the best interests of the game

It's not because there are too many teams in Sydney:roll:

Well said man spot on

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
nah no problem at all in sydney...same mediocre teams playing in empty stadiums...propped up by shrinking leagues clubs revenues.....nothing to see here...move along...dont take away my team..im the last fan left.....

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Lets speak rationally and not emotionally. Does anybody in their right mind think that Adelaide, Perth, Darwin will support Rugby League? I know the Western Force are in Perth but their crowd is made up mainly of ex-pat South Africans and English. We tried with the Western Reds. We had the Adelaide Rams. If you shrink the Sydney clubs down and the experiments into these other cities fail, what then?
Melbourne have been an exceptional beacon to hold up to the people of Victoria as an example of RL and they still dont get it. If News Ltd pulls out as many have suggested, whats left in Melbourne?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Clubs are replacing pokie revenue by getting developing other sources of income eg. look at the Balmain redevelopment, Cronulla's proposed redevelopment etc.

Clubs won't sit around waiting to roll over, fair dinkum. All the hysteria about this issue has been createdby playing on people's emotions (through their love of their football team) so as to put pressure on the government.

Crowds are actually UP in Sydney this year, the average for 72 games being 14,454 compared to out of Sydney (not including the Broncos) at 15,760 for 60 games and 17,614 including the Broncos 7 games.

More games are being played at Stadium Australia which has created a negative perception because of it's vast size. On top of this we have clubs playing here away from their traditional areas/main support also alot of games are on a Saturday night when the games are live on TV.

Mediocre Sydney teams? You mean the 5 who are in the top 8?

Penrith and the Roosters are actually the worst drawing Sydney teams and have been for a couple of years, now would you suggest they move along?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This is the only question we need to answer.

Is it worth more to the NRL to have a team in Perth and/or Adelaide getting decent support/exposure or is the game better off without it.

Using past clubs in these areas as a guide to how new teams might fare isn't going to do us any good. They were basically f**ked from day one due to circumstances beyond their own control. It's a similar situation with the GC. The previous team struggled for many reasons, yet the new team is a raging success because we've learnt from our mistakes.

If this means that a Sydney club or two needs to relocate or be relegated then so be it. Personally I don't see why it needs to happen, we can support the current Sydney teams and expand to WA and SA.

adamkungl

Immortal
This is the only question we need to answer.

Is it worth more to the NRL to have a team in Perth and/or Adelaide getting decent support/exposure or is the game better off without it.

Using past clubs in these areas as a guide to how new teams might fare isn't going to do us any good. They were basically f**ked from day one due to circumstances beyond their own control. It's a similar situation with the GC. The previous team struggled for many reasons, yet the new team is a raging success because we've learnt from our mistakes.

If this means that a Sydney club or two needs to relocate or be relegated then so be it. Personally I don't see why it needs to happen, we can support the current Sydney teams and expand to WA and SA.

wow a QLDer who isn't intent on destroying Sydney RL. Seemingly a rarity on these forums. Perth would succeed imo. With considerable time and money, both could. They won't be an instant roaring success like Gold Coast, but in time, would work.

bluesbreaker

Bench
so for someone like me it would mean

watch my team get kicked out, then get to see guys like greg bird and paul gallen playing for other clubs after watching them come from nothing through the ranks to play for nsw and aus.

Oh yeah, must've been a proud day watching Greg Bird come through the ranks... At Newcastle.

TITAN1

Juniors
The game will not be truly National until there is at least one team in every state/territory

TITAN1

Juniors
Yes,believe it or not there is a market for the NRL in those areas.
And your dismissive attitude is unfortunately shared by many in power of the league.

Special K

Coach
Signed with us as a 17 year old, came up through reggies we did not want him to play flegg unline your mob. Played NRL at 18, people wanted him shot at 19 now he is one of the best players in the game and if you cut him open he would bleed black white n blue!
Oh yeah, must've been a proud day watching Greg Bird come through the ranks... At Newcastle.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
So the AFL isn't national?

This is garbage, we are in more of the top 20 Australian cities than AFl, we have reach into NZ, the Pacific and PNG, and this all with an administration that doesn't help us but HINDERS us.

It's just an excuse so they don't have to pay us what we are truly worth.

MEATWAD

Juniors
Ditch the salary cap. The strong will survive.

Otherwise all other fiddling with "criteria" are always biased towards certain targets (like Souths in the late 1990s). The only way to do it fairly is to remove the artificial financial constraints on player payments, and the market will sort it out in a natural way.

However, I don't think either should be done.

In-goal

Bench
Maybe the Salary cap needs to go and a 50% rules should be inforced, by this I mean 50% of club revenue can be spent on players no more. This way the clubs that make money spend more money.