What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We could've had Wayne Bennett as coach, we opted for Ivan Cleary

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It is so dumb all round. 2 years under Bennett would finish off the player development

Why do I get the feeling you don't like Cleary. Didn't realise it went back as far as 2012.

I'm not a Bennett fan. I saw from close range what he did to the Knights. It was nasty, Very nasty.

Why do I get the feeling you don't like Cleary. Didn't realise it went back as far as 2012.

I'm not a Bennett fan. I saw from close range what he did to the Knights. It was nasty, Very nasty.

Bennett's recruitment at the knights was terrible, but he didn't need to recruit here. Would've been a short term thing.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Bennett's recruitment at the knights was terrible, but he didn't need to recruit here. Would've been a short term thing.

He was horrible on so many fronts for the Knights. Ripped the guts out of the junior pathways. Wouldn't allow the team to engage with the local community.

Newey and the riff are very similar. Both feed off local committment, juniors, and engagement with the community.

Bennett almost single handedly destroyed the joint.

franklin2323

Immortal

I am sure Ivan is nice guy but he is terrible as coach. I just don't see what others see in him.

Look at his age. He is a short term coach so you'd keep him at arms length from the roster management

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I am sure Ivan is nice guy but he is terrible as coach. I just don't see what others see in him.

Look at his age. He is a short term coach so you'd keep him at arms length from the roster management

I'll give him the length of his contract. Franklin you were bagging him almost from the very beginning. It's OK to say you don't like someone (even if you don't know them) :oops:

2012 that's within the first couple of months of Ivan arriving, when the squad was filled with journeyman players and the place was in the foundations of it's re-build.

I personally wouldn't let Bennett within an avo of the Panthers academy.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'll give him the length of his contract. Franklin you were bagging him almost from the very beginning. It's OK to say you don't like someone (even if you don't know them) :oops:

2012 that's within the first couple of months of Ivan arriving, when the squad was filled with journeyman players and the place was in the foundations of it's re-build.

I personally wouldn't let Bennett within an avo of the Panthers academy.

My feelings on Ivan are based purely on coaching. He lacks a plan B, C and D. Is too friendly with the players and doesn't drop under perforning guys enough

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
My feelings on Ivan are based purely on coaching. He lacks a plan B, C and D. Is too friendly with the players and doesn't drop under perforning guys enough

and you worked out all of this between Mid March and July when Penrith were 'recovering' from ME era and the salary cap was in a mess.

This is the same bloke who took the Warriors in 2011 to their first grand final. You know that no one has had as good coaching numbers with the Warriors since.

Yet he can't coach.

I'll correct myself the 3rd best coach of the warriors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Warriors#Coaches

Be honest you just don't like the bloke for whatever reason, and your undies are twisted because you Like Griffin.

franklin2323

Immortal
and you worked out all of this between Mid March and July when Penrith were 'recovering' from ME era and the salary cap was in a mess.

This is the same bloke who took the Warriors in 2011 to their first grand final. You know that no one has had as good coaching numbers with the Warriors since.

Yet he can't coach.

I'll correct myself the 3rd best coach of the warriors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Warriors#Coaches

Be honest you just don't like the bloke for whatever reason, and your undies are twisted because you Like Griffin.

Ricky Stuart has a decent record yet I don't rate him as a coach. Look at his record without Freddy in his team.

Neil Henry and Ivan are the guys you get if you want to get a bad team to an average team. Not guys to take an average team to being good

Where did I say I like hook? We never got to see him with a settled spine etc. So never got to see IF the side could be taken further.

Look at injured guys we had out in the final series he got us too. So key outs. Lack of decent spine both years

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Bunnies have a better team on paper than we do. None of our props bend the line and get quick play the balls regularly like the Burges twins do. The closest to that we have is Kikau but he generally doesn't play the ball quick and Cook is a mile above Egan or Katoa.

The Bennet coached Broncos were thrashed in the finals last year by a Dragons side that had Widdop and JDB injured during the game and was on the slide down the ladder for almost half the season. I'm not saying we wouldn't 100% would be going the same with Bennet but I'm not convinced he's the coach for us. When it truly mattered last year Bennet's team was playing like a bottom 4 side. They were defending like one and Bennet is all about defense above everything. The grass is always greener on the other side.

With that said I'm not convinced Ivan is the right coach for us either to say the least.

GongPanther

Referee
Sums up our utter mismanagement in my view

Ah yes...the timing is all so important with articles such as this. And right before we play the Tigers, along comes a journo who wouldn't be out of place at News Corp to try to upset the apple cart.

I wonder if it was this "individual" who Ivan had a spat with during Saturday's press conference?

mxlegend99

Referee
Ricky Stuart has a decent record yet I don't rate him as a coach. Look at his record without Freddy in his team.

Neil Henry and Ivan are the guys you get if you want to get a bad team to an average team. Not guys to take an average team to being good

Where did I say I like hook? We never got to see him with a settled spine etc. So never got to see IF the side could be taken further.

Look at injured guys we had out in the final series he got us too. So key outs. Lack of decent spine both years
Thats was through his own doing. He couldn't make his mind up on our 5/8th and he didn't like hookers that wanted to run the ball.

Ivan had some pretty big key outs when we finished top 4 and made week 3 of finals too. We were on our 5th choice 5/8th and our backrow was depleted.

Hook in 7 seasons as coach of the Broncos and Panthers has a 0% record in finals matches against top 4 teams. Gus could finally see his limitation. As could our board.

Ivan is far from perfect. But he has taken Warriors to a grand final. Defeating top 4 sides along the way.

He took us to week 3 of finals. Defeating the minor premiers along the way.

So he atleast has proven he is capable of winning against the better teams in the finals. So our chances at progressing have increased a tiny bit. Although when Gus has landed Wayne Bennett... and the board opts for Ivan Cleary that is a huge f**k up.

We should have secured Bennett on a 2 year deal and committed to Ivan for when that ended. Letting him know this roster is in great hands and giving him a fully developed roster to take over. His deal would only be 3 years and not such a huge gamble.

The only coach worthy of being guaranteed 5 years is Craig Bellamy. I know we will just pay him out if he fails. But we're just pissing away money doing that.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Gus did not want Cleary back at all. He saw that he does not train the players hard enough and he is weak tactically.

This is on Dave O'Neill. As it has been mentioned, Gus has stepped back from being involved in the team and is letting it play out.

franklin2323

Immortal
Thats was through his own doing. He couldn't make his mind up on our 5/8th and he didn't like hookers that wanted to run the ball.

Ivan had some pretty big key outs when we finished top 4 and made week 3 of finals too. We were on our 5th choice 5/8th and our backrow was depleted.

Hook in 7 seasons as coach of the Broncos and Panthers has a 0% record in finals matches against top 4 teams. Gus could finally see his limitation. As could our board.

Ivan is far from perfect. But he has taken Warriors to a grand final. Defeating top 4 sides along the way.

He took us to week 3 of finals. Defeating the minor premiers along the way.

So he atleast has proven he is capable of winning against the better teams in the finals. So our chances at progressing have increased a tiny bit. Although when Gus has landed Wayne Bennett... and the board opts for Ivan Cleary that is a huge f**k up.

We should have secured Bennett on a 2 year deal and committed to Ivan for when that ended. Letting him know this roster is in great hands and giving him a fully developed roster to take over. His deal would only be 3 years and not such a huge gamble.

The only coach worthy of being guaranteed 5 years is Craig Bellamy. I know we will just pay him out if he fails. But we're just pissing away money doing that.

What so hook wanted TMM released with no replacement? Or to go into a semi in Canberra without the 3 top centres? Stuff happened that was out of the coaches hand so I think we over achieved

Here's thing though to beat the top sides in the finals... You 1st need to make the finals. So to step back to a coach with just as many questions as too whether they can get a team to the top is dumb

Dufmack

Juniors
Cleary is an ok coach
Bennet is the greatest coach of all time.

I’d love to be proven wrong but the quality development Wayne could’ve offered our team is literally priceless and this will be one of the clubs biggest ever mistakes.

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary is an ok coach
Bennet is the greatest coach of all time.

I’d love to be proven wrong but the quality development Wayne could’ve offered our team is literally priceless and this will be one of the clubs biggest ever mistakes.

I agree. It was a chance to finish the development off.

Ah well there is always 2025 when Ivan is gone

Bob

Juniors
Gus did not want Cleary back at all. He saw that he does not train the players hard enough and he is weak tactically.

This is on Dave O'Neill. As it has been mentioned, Gus has stepped back from being involved in the team and is letting it play out.
Hey Daz, do you know if Gus is staying or going?