What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We could've had Wayne Bennett as coach, we opted for Ivan Cleary

franklin2323

Immortal
Yet Nathan has more try assists than anyone else in our team. Jimmy is yet to get one in 3 rounds of footy. Our fullback has only setup tries for the opposition.

Also Carty has no try assists this season. I don't think he had many if any last year either. Although he would be very handy to have right now. I also think surrounded by the kids he grew up with he would be better in our jersey than any other.

2 Questionable try assists. Lets see where he ends up. He won't get 15

Bryce lacks the basics. No where near worth what we paid him

Exsilium

First Grade
Nathan has composure and ability but that doesn't always equate to control and vision.

Having said that, our forward pack has been average at best. Our service out of dummy half has been slow. These two factors alone make it near impossible for a half to have time on the ball to create opportunities.

We are in desperate need of a better hooker. Fix that and I think we improve out of sight.

chrisD

Coach
Same could be said about Bryce's deal. Still he'd create more tries in the one month he played well than Nathan does in a season
They were talking Bryce at like 500k a season, that's more than fair for what he was providing, even if his defence meant we would have had to play him off the bench in the longterm. Moylan was on the super cheap at like 700k, which seems to be why we lost him as much as Griffin and him not getting along.

franklin2323

Immortal
They were talking Bryce at like 500k a season, that's more than fair for what he was providing, even if his defence meant we would have had to play him off the bench in the longterm. Moylan was on the super cheap at like 700k, which seems to be why we lost him as much as Griffin and him not getting along.

Not for his lack of defence. You need the higher paid players to still be topping the hitup and tackle list. As for Moylan given Gus' comments recently the issue there was also not being on the same page as far as positions

age.s

First Grade
Can you imagine the uproar if we were 1-2 under Ciraldo?

"We could have had Bennett! We could have had Cleary! We opted for Ciraldo!"

TheFrog

Coach
Maybe that is what is needed. Get an outsider in to assess
That happened three and a half years ago with Griffin, who was acknowledged even by Gus to have brought in junior structures that were much improved, a la Broncos. I thought this was the main reason for employing Griffin, to set our pathways up to be like the Broncos. Surely it doesn't need to be done again?

TheFrog

Coach
Can you imagine the uproar if we were 1-2 under Ciraldo?

"We could have had Bennett! We could have had Cleary! We opted for Ciraldo!"
We reach for the sharpest available object when 1-2 under any coach. Understandable given the last defeat, but we gifted them well over half the 30 point margin (as did the Broncos last night by bombing a hatful of tries) so things are really only half as dire as they seem. What is bad is the way they gave up.

franklin2323

Immortal
That happened three and a half years ago with Griffin, who was acknowledged even by Gus to have brought in junior structures that were much improved, a la Broncos. I thought this was the main reason for employing Griffin, to set our pathways up to be like the Broncos. Surely it doesn't need to be done again?

A lot of the guys Ivan knows either from coaching or watching in the lower grades with Nathan. He isn't an outsider

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’m Glade we didn’t get Bennett, I’m not completely sold on Cleary, but I think Bennett for 2 years would have been pointless.

As many know I'm not a Bennett fan. I'm OK with Cleary. The boys will turn it around. Tonight would be a good beginning point.

A good few players are comming off surgery too, DWZ, Cleary, Edwards, Jimmy. That's almost the spine here.

I wish I was able to get down for the game tonight. Sadly I can't.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
We reach for the sharpest available object when 1-2 under any coach. Understandable given the last defeat, but we gifted them well over half the 30 point margin (as did the Broncos last night by bombing a hatful of tries) so things are really only half as dire as they seem. What is bad is the way they gave up.

Especially after watching the Broncos last night. It is not as bad as many fear. We just happen to be 'flavour of the mouth / year' regarding the media.

Winning shuts the media up. Simples.

Das Hassler

Bench
Every year.

But to be fair you've invited the media to camp outside the door since Ivan was booted...not just the coaching sagas as with the Tigers but also Gus's media profile combined with the constant spruiking of the facilities...juniors. ..finances etc ( all true and fair) has stamped immediate success expected on the club, so like it or not you're going to stay in the media's crosshairs untill a premiership comes and it will only get worse the longer that takes The club's brought the constant scrutiny on itself. Not a criticism...just the way it is

age.s

First Grade
Reckon we dodged a bullet in Brennan ftr. Titans look like they've never met each other.

kinghippo

Juniors
Reckon we dodged a bullet in Brennan ftr. Titans look like they've never met each other.
Have to agree with that, although after watching the titans today I couldn’t help thinking they looked a lot like us.
Errors and penalties killed them, Gordon at the back does nothing for them and as soon as they got in the attacking zone they lost their head.