What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We lost...

sydraider

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
stick has done pretty ordinary this year
but something is going sour at the chooks, you dont go from being a top coach to a sh*te one that quickly, no doubt sticky has contributed largely to it but i think the chooks problems are far deeper seeded then the coach... they have an allstar team, and f**king great coach... they should be premiership contenders

Lack of forwards with cajones could be an answer. Another might be having too many cooks who cant cook in the organising department. As much as I have a lot of time for sticky, the legend player he was, I have to say that Bellamy sh*ts all over him as a coach.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I remember sitting in Queanbeyan watching Ricky go round in reserve grade and commenting that he read the game better than anyone I ever seen. I also remember speaking to a friend who was in his PE class at St Eddies, who described him as the most arrogant human being he had ever encountered.

I see both of those traits at play in his coaching style, and I think the latter diminishes him badly.

Ricky will retire as the most respected coach in the game, but he has a lot of downs to endure in coming years.

Would love to see him in Canberra again one day, but I hope it`s 2017 rather than 2007.

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
Trying to make Bay udnerstand a reasonable arguement is simply not possible.

I wonder what the reason will be next year? Henry still putting the fires out from Elliot, I guess.

How can you just tell that our friend Bay has never laced on a pair of rugby boots.

rugby boots :lol: ,,,, yep for once youve got something right TR

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
I remember sitting in Queanbeyan watching Ricky go round in reserve grade and commenting that he read the game better than anyone I ever seen. I also remember speaking to a friend who was in his PE class at St Eddies, who described him as the most arrogant human being he had ever encountered.

I see both of those traits at play in his coaching style, and I think the latter diminishes him badly.

Ricky will retire as the most respected coach in the game, but he has a lot of downs to endure in coming years.

Would love to see him in Canberra again one day, but I hope it`s 2017 rather than 2007.

I'm sure Ricky would be very interested in sitting down with you TR to discuss how he could improve on his coaching style ... maybe you could bring your doctor friend with you :lol:

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
stick has done pretty ordinary this year
but something is going sour at the chooks, you dont go from being a top coach to a sh*te one that quickly, no doubt sticky has contributed largely to it but i think the chooks problems are far deeper seeded then the coach... they have an allstar team, and f**king great coach... they should be premiership contenders

Elliott did between 2003 and 2004 ;-)

legend

Coach
pantherz9103 said:
Raiders fans are harsh on Elliot. He's done a very good job to take you to 3 finals series in the past 4 years isn't it??

Nice stats you'd think but he is yet to register a finals victory in four outings.

aussies1st

Staff member
Elliott needs to bite the bullet and drop Smith. We were going just fine with Carney and Withers as the halves. Then Smith comes back and we start falling apart.

aussies1st

Staff member
The Smith and Carney combo just doesn't work. Smith is starting to play like his age instead of below it like last year.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I really don't like Carney's organisational skills. I'm not saying that Smith did much better on the weekend, but without Smith in the team I just don't see where the tries are going to come from.

Christ, next year is going to be a lean one.

dubby

Bench
I was dead set ready to renounce my love of this club after that game. The game plan was very plain. We have used it all year and the opposition clubs know what it is now, so we will struggle to win more games unless Elliot decides to give the ball some movement.

TR, since Smiths return we have not looked as dangerous in the backline. TC was really starting to grow in confidence and maturity as 5/8, and could kick the ball better than Smith. Since Smiths return, TC has gone back to being ordinary. Bad passes, lack of involvement, generally looking unsure of his place in the team. Bring back the Linc-Todd halves, and Germ at hooker gives us much more spark in attack IMO.

The effort was there but our execution was poor. It is hard watching these guys put in so much effort and getting it wrong still.

Why is it that teams like Parra/Penrith seem to find form against us anyway? Why do we select players like Turtell and Howell when they obviously struggle in the top grade? I admit that the WOlf makes a decent winger but that try Campbell scored on him shows his lack of pace.

God help us, it looks like we have started our typical end of year slide down the ladder again.

thickos

First Grade
Something noticeable on the tv coverage of the Parra game last week, and something I saw first hand on Sat night, was the lack of organization in those first 2-3 tackles in our set. We'd field the kick from Penrith, and the speed at which the rest of the team crawled back onside was embarassing. You could throw a hankerchief over the side for 3 hitups as everyone was cluttered around the play the ball, looking for the oneup stuff. Meanwhile Campbell was standing out on his wing marking NO-ONE while FINALLY someone spread out a bit to form an attacking line...

Did the ball actually make it out that far though? Of course not.

It was an embarassment of a game, I thought Penrith were poor too but at least Elliott would have got a feel of his new surrounds for 2007... hope he enjoyed the beach too :x

dubby

Bench
At least i wasn't the only one who was angry...Thickos was too! And you're normally so nice Stu....

Tokyo_Raider said:
I really don't like Carney's organisational skills. I'm not saying that Smith did much better on the weekend, but without Smith in the team I just don't see where the tries are going to come from.

Christ, next year is going to be a lean one.

Did you see all the tries he set up on saturday night????????? He's done nothing but a couple of inside balls to the fullback. There has been no scope for change in the one structured move they set up for each match, his kicking game has been useless...and we were winning games without him there.

As to next year, you will be very surprised at the difference that will be made.

Lime_Green

Juniors
I was at the match too and yeah I've never felt so frustrated post-game.

It felt like there were a few simple things Elliott could have done to avoid that result:

(1) Let them throw the ball around, at least a bit.
(2) Drop the Turtell. We watched him closely when he was on our side of the ground. One of the tries he let in was utterly amazing. So little effort.
(3) Smith has to go to the bench at least. He looked very ordinary and was often back behind the line huffing and puffing. Carney has to have the 5/8 jersey and do the majority of the kicking.

I'm looking forward to the Dobson/Carney/Neil Henry combo next year with great anticipation.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Lime_Green said:
I'm looking forward to the Dobson/Carney/Neil Henry combo next year with great anticipation.

Just out of interest, have you actually seen Dobson play this year?

I've been watching ESL with interest, and, while he seems like a talented young player, I wouldn't get too excited just yet. I would guess that Dobson will be ready to make a real impact in the NRL at or about season 2008.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Yep I've watched a couple of his matches in ESL.

I think he's up to NRL quality PROVIDED he can stay fit. My main worry with him is his size and the fact he's rather injury prone.

And if Stacey Jones has big wraps on him he can't be too ordinary.

I agree he's only going to get better over time, but it doesn't mean he'll be useless next year.