What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need a fullback next year.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I wouldn’t want Papenhuyzen, he hasn’t really nailed down the fullback spot over Hughes, and Dufty has played plenty of match winning, highlights reel starring roles for us over the years himself. We need someone with a bit of size. I think over a full season the Pap would get man handled and worn down just like Dufty.
I personally would take someone who is not super flashy but extremely good under the high ball, good defender and good support player. A Ben Hornby type player maybe.

Como Connection

First Grade
I wouldn’t want Papenhuyzen, he hasn’t really nailed down the fullback spot over Hughes, and Dufty has played plenty of match winning, highlights reel starring roles for us over the years himself. We need someone with a bit of size. I think over a full season the Pap would get man handled and worn down just like Dufty.
I personally would take someone who is not super flashy but extremely good under the high ball, good defender and good support player. A Ben Hornby type player maybe.
Lomax hey.
CC

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Personally, I'd go for Niko. He's 21/22 yrs old 193cm 97kg's, can play fullback, wing and centre. He also is a goal kicker, the leadng try and point scorer in CC this year. He's currently behind CNK for fullback spot (I believe its his preferred position).

Carlton

Juniors
Personally, I'd go for Niko. He's 21/22 yrs old 193cm 97kg's, can play fullback, wing and centre. He also is a goal kicker, the leadng try and point scorer in CC this year. He's currently behind CNK for fullback spot (I believe its his preferred position).

He may or may not make it but this is the sort of player we need to be looking at. He looks like he can play, has size, speed and has no opportunity at the moment due to the incumbents. The skill is giving him a proper go at the position without persisting with him too long if he is not the solution.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
He may or may not make it but this is the sort of player we need to be looking at. He looks like he can play, has size, speed and has no opportunity at the moment due to the incumbents. The skill is giving him a proper go at the position without persisting with him too long if he is not the solution.

I'd like to see Jason Saab given a chance at full-back next year- after an off season working on putting on about 5kgs in the torso. . A 2metre tall, athletic guy with a great vertical leap and loads of speed and the looks of a young, black version of Tommy Turbo has got to be worth a try!

Walpole

Juniors
What about Nick Meaney from the dogs. He's contracted to them for the next two years but we all know that means nothing.

21 years old, 6'2, 90kg, very quick. Won player of the year for the Knights in NYC and reserves when he was coming through, also played NSW U20s and can kick goals. Since they bought DWZ the dogs have Meaney put on the wing with DWZ at fullback. Meaney would no doubt prefer to be playing fullback himself.

Of course, we'd still require someone to coach him.

BLM01

First Grade
So apparenttly Euie & Dufty now told to look for new clubs next year.
Sounds like to me they got Dufty's & Lafai's email address mixed up or is Timmy's letter still to come in the mail.
Dufty will come back to bite us if that is the case right on Timmy's arse.

Ahhrrgghhh does it really matter who we have. The coach....."you are the weakest link"

giboz71

First Grade
What about Nick Meaney from the dogs. He's contracted to them for the next two years but we all know that means nothing.

21 years old, 6'2, 90kg, very quick. Won player of the year for the Knights in NYC and reserves when he was coming through, also played NSW U20s and can kick goals. Since they bought DWZ the dogs have Meaney put on the wing with DWZ at fullback. Meaney would no doubt prefer to be playing fullback himself.

Of course, we'd still require someone to coach him.

This the problem.

We don't have a structure where a fullback can shine, His only involvement in our attack is in our standard block play where he's playing miles behind the line and defences just eat him up. The better fullbacks are always sniffing the ball and pushing up the middle looking for opportunities. Tedesco is the master at it, Turbo and Ponga not far behind.

Every time Mcinnes snipes, he's on his own because our fullback is setting up for the next play instead of following ball. Quite clearly he is coached to do this. The poor bloke is always on his own when he makes a half break.

So no fullback will ever shine whilst Mary is coach (Duges, Mann and now Dufty have been shown the door) and I'm pretty sure players and managers know this so I doubt we'll get a big name fullback.

BLM01

First Grade
This the problem.

We don't have a structure where a fullback can shine, His only involvement in our attack is in our standard block play where he's playing miles behind the line and defences just eat him up. The better fullbacks are always sniffing the ball and pushing up the middle looking for opportunities. Tedesco is the master at it, Turbo and Ponga not far behind.

Every time Mcinnes snipes, he's on his own because our fullback is setting up for the next play instead of following ball. Quite clearly he is coached to do this. The poor bloke is always on his own when he makes a half break.

So no fullback will ever shine whilst Mary is coach (Duges, Mann and now Dufty have been shown the door) and I'm pretty sure players and managers know this so I doubt we'll get a big name fullback.
No..he will manufacture one out of Norman, Sailor, Saab and Lomax who belong in other positions.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
No..he will manufacture one out of Norman, Sailor, Saab and Lomax who belong in other positions.

Agree with Norman and Sailor- Lomax and particularly Saab have the basic physical attributes to be successful in the modern full back role- with a few extra kilos.

BLM01

First Grade
Agree with Norman and Sailor- Lomax and particularly Saab have the basic physical attributes to be successful in the modern full back role- with a few extra kilos.
Saab I may give you..
Lomax is no where quick enough across the ground to cover and defends better in the front line

qld redvee

Juniors
I would like us to make a play for young Billy smith from the roosters CC he is a centre but looks the goods would prefer Lomax to have a go in the centres as I dont think he has the pace to be a devastating fullback BUT if supercoach stays like previously mentioned our fullback is only in the team to run it back on kick returns

nontime111

Juniors
Talking of Saaby, Im watching the game right now I notice hes not in the team as named? anyone have any news on why he didnt take the field or named this week?

Latest posts