What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

we need a reserve grade comp again..... here is one reason why..

_snafu_

Immortal
Funny that they have shunned playing in the NSW Cup on the basis that it's a nuffy comp, to play in the nuffy Shute Shield park yawnion competition.

The problem is that the quality of a reserve grade game would be about the same as a NSW Cup game.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
the quality of the game may be the same, but wearing the same uniform as the 1st grade team, travelling with the 1st grade team, playing the same club as the 1st grade team and having a clear progression path for the guys provides so much more motivation for young / fringe players..

Godz Illa

Coach
Whoa..._snafu_ you stole that post right out of my head, almost word for word. Spooky. What am I thinking now?

watatank

Coach
This is old news. They didn't want to go play NSW Cup or QLD Cup like everyone else who are too old for NYC and not good enough for NRL so they decided to leave. Young players are always going to slip through the cracks and they are no different, even if they go on to play for the Wallabies some day. They weren't even that good anyway so no big loss.

flanker 07

Juniors
I agree thatt we should have a reserve grade side. There's too much talent slipping through to other clubs, overseas or rugby. The two positions they covered fullback and five eight are two area where we do have problems, more so if we continue playing our best fullback at half.

boxa777

Coach
As Snafu said, there will be minimal difference in terms of playing standard between the current NSW cup and a reserve grade competition. I don't see the argument..

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Who cares, neither of them were ever going to make it to first grade anyway. That's why they switched, not because of the "nuffy" nsw cup. Unfortunately being a good touch footballer doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good league player. They could be brilliant one day, then woeful the next. They threw some freak backhand passes, but couldn't throw a decent cutout consistently. And their kicking, well that wouldn't cut the mustard in first grade, nor the defence. I'm shattered that they gave way to the likes of Beau Henry :lol:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
As Snafu said, there will be minimal difference in terms of playing standard between the current NSW cup and a reserve grade competition. I don't see the argument..
That isn't necessarily true, if there were to be a proper reserve grade comp, teams would be forced to put all their reserve talent into one team, at present, many fringe first graders can be scattered over a few teams for the one club. Not to mention playing teams who are a feeder to no one.

Player talent would be more focussed in a reserve grade competition. That being said, the opportunity also exists for players who are not in the NRL club scope to more easily be scouted with the comp as it stands

Potsie

Juniors
BRING BACK RESERVE GRADE NOW!!!!

remember how great it used to be watching all three grades of the SAME teams.

Kiki

First Grade
i love that they aren't good enough to play first grade NRL but they seem to thrive playing union. bahahaha. reason #546 why rugby union is crap.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Were they Sydney kids or Illawarra kids?? Saints should have an affiliate in civilisation so that people don't have to travel to Shellharbour if they're not in the NRL squad...

Saintsman

Juniors
You wait your time in the Shellharbour team. Costigan got rewarded for scoring 3 tries in the first week by finding himself in the first grade team for week 2.

Jasdragon

Juniors
the quality of the game may be the same, but wearing the same uniform as the 1st grade team, travelling with the 1st grade team, playing the same club as the 1st grade team and having a clear progression path for the guys provides so much more motivation for young / fringe players..

agreed.

Jasdragon

Juniors
What idiot changed it in the 1st place??? I deadest wonder how these f**king idiots get jobs in the 1st place!

Latest posts