What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need to weed out the poor defenders...

Parraren

Bench
There's been alot of focus and discussion on the selection of Wagon at 5/8th but seriously guys an equally critical issue is our woeful defense. How shocking has our defense been over the past 2 seasons! We used to be renowned for our defensive strength back in the early years of Smith's leadership. I can remember us holding sides to under 12 points consistently. What has happened?

Defense is a real test of a players attitude & commitment to the side. Watching the replay from Sat night, attitude and commitment to defense was our biggest downfall. I know it sounds like a cliche, but you really DO need to set the platform early in defense in order for your attack and gameplan to have any chance for success. We failed to do this from the outset and then we got frustrated and started pushing passes, dropping ball and it went downhill from there..

I don't like singleing players out but I feel after such an atrocious performance, Smith really needs to make an example of a few blokes. The worst of all offenders on Sat night was Vella. He just looks far too slow in defense and tends to try and reach out and grab at players rather than move laterally and get into position to make a tackle or a solid one on one hit. He looks good going forward but we really need to weed out the poor defenders in our side. Vella's head should be the first to fall as an example to the rest to shape up or ship out.

Some other observations....

Dave Vaealiki must be in the side. His positional defense, whether it be in the centres or at fullback is exceptional. He calmed the ship when he came on and he has great strength. Will never let you down. Would have done a great job on Sonny Bill Williams if given the opportunity.

Kativerata whilst he tried very hard and gave 100% is just not up to NRL level yet. He doesn't know when to come in or stay out on his wing. They ran down his side all night and the had a field day. He looked out of his depth. Let him develop his defense in Premier League.

Pearson also looked very slow getting back in the defensive line and is another target for dummy half runners. Just doesn't look agile enough. For an experienced player he made some shocking hospital passes and tried offloads when they weren't required. Perhaps he would be better utilised off the bench. Stapleton & Cannings looked far better than Pearson & Vella both in attack and defense. They are more mobile and made better metres.

Cayless was struggling big time in the second row with his fitness. It will take alot of time for him to adjust but I expect he will get better with more game time there.

Wagon is one of our best defenders but he stalls our attack at 5/8th (blatantly obvious and pointed out already by everyone on this forum). Will do a fine job for us at lock.

The Peterson/Vaealiki combo that worked wonders for us last year needs to be reinstated! Peterson looks more comfortable and safer on the wing (why would you move him to the centres?) and he has an outstanding strike rate playing outside Dave V. Peterson & Vaealiki combined late in the game out on the left side for a try to big Dave.

I don't think there needs to be wholesale changes to the side. We just need to weed out the defensive liabilities, plug up a few holes and we'll be OK.

bartman

Immortal
Without a fullback at the moment I feel that Vaealiki needs to be there, with Burt on the wing, where he'll do fine. That means Petersen either stays in the centre for a while, until Ash comes back, or until they promoted Prince or Wade as a fullback.

Once we've got someone strong at the back, we can revive the Petersen/Vaealiki combo.

Otherwise I agree with all above points, P-ren.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Luke deserves to saty at fullback for now, have you forgotten how well he used to play at fullback.

He has been out for a year, give him at least another couple off weeks, I believe he can do it.

Besides last Sat Nite showed us that players need to be in their familiar positions. Freshie in the centres and Sideshow on the wing, and Kat in premmy league.

Luke O'Dwyer was know for his defensive capabilities up here when he played for the Seagulls.

If Smithy wants defensive 5/8, then he should give this kid a go. He is much more attacking than Wags.

Wags was one of our top defenders on Sat Nite, surely if Smithy is a stat man, he can see that Wags belongs at lock.

stuke

Bench
vaealiki's performance for the kiwis last year showed up his shortcomings at fullback . why weaken one area to strengthen another. put vaealiki back into the centres where he adds some strength and aggression and i'd put peterson outside of him. grothe and lyon on the other side and show some faith in burty - he'll be back.

Parraren

Bench
We need proven performers in the centres. Lyon & Vaealiki give us security in this department. We can't afford anymore bloody experiments. Our centre/wing defensive lapses is what led to the first few tries and line breaks v the dogs. We need to plug up this gaping hole or else we are screwed v bronco's. Lockyer will tear us to shreds out wide. I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to change something that was working last year. Peterson/Vaealiki works. Leave it that way. We've lost Moodie as Lyon's wing partner but Grothe looks more than capable to cover his wing position. Burt had an unhappy night but I'd prefer to see him given another crack to redeem himself. He wasn't that bad. Our main problems were outwide. If Burt is dropped i'd rather see Prince get a crack than Vaealiki. We need Dave in the centres! Geez, i'm starting to sound like Garry Freeman... :lol:

bartman

Immortal
True I am forgetting Luke playing weel at Fullback, as I can only remember him playing really well on the wing.

David isn't the fastest fullback, but at least he's a chance of making a one on one tackle there, and contesting the ball on kicks in the coming weeks.

But ideally when Ash is back he'd be my fullback, with Burt, Lyon, Vaealiki, Petersen and Grothe fighting out the other backline spots.

Whatever the lineup, lets hope we put in and have a game up at Brfisbane!

bradeel

Juniors
i just want to say that that is a great post Parraren. No bitching and moaning. Just some really constructive and well thought out criticism with some positive changes that can be made. I am shattered from what happened on Sat night but its great to see a level head evaluating the options available to us.

I hope we can bounce back next Sunday against the Broncos.

thedux

Juniors
Grothe is another option at both centre and fullback. He actually started in the Harold Matts as a FB and played a bit of centre for the roosters last year. As long as he is comfortable with the defensive pattern, it wouldn't be too tough an ask.

Dean

Juniors
I thought Parra's wing defence would have been sorted when they got rid of Richards last year, But Kativerata makes Richards look like the most sound defensive winger in the game. I couldent believe some of the decisions Kativerata was making. I couldent help but laugh towards the end of the game. It was genuinly comical.

Oh, and Vella was terrible. He needs a spell in Premier league after saturdays effort.

Latest posts