What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"We will definitely be out to make him pay" - Webster

Wiki

Juniors
Oh dear god, this match promises to be a cracker!! :)

'He'll wish he played for us'
By Steve Mascord
May 2, 2006

NEW Zealand players last night lined up Karmichael Hunt for choosing Australia over the Kiwis, with second rower Frank Pritchard declaring "just wait for the Test - he'll wish he played for us".

The Kiwis were stunned by the Auckland-born fullback's selection as Anthony Minichiello's replacement yesterday.

Just three weeks ago, Hunt again turned down the chance to play for the country of his birth.

The Kiwis made it clear the Brisbane custodian would feel their wrath at Suncorp Stadium, with winger Jake Webster saying: "He's made his bed - now he's got to lie in it."

Asked how his players felt about Hunt, 19, playing against them, New Zealand coach Brian McClennan said: "Karmichael's got to find that out for himself on Friday night."

Penrith's Pritchard told The Daily Telegraph: "I said to (McClennan): I'm Australian born -- I'm more Australian than him. He came over here when he was 14. If he feels like he's Australian, what can I say? He's forgotten his roots.

"Just wait for the Test - he'll wish he played for us."

The Kiwis learned of Hunt's inclusion when McClennan got a text message while on the mini-bus back from training at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast late yesterday morning.

"Most of the guys just started laughing," McClennan said..

Advertisement:
"It's just the way it is, isn't it? He's going to have enormous amounts of pressure on him.
"We would have been looking to put pressure on Minichiello but if the guys get the chance to put a big tackle on Karmichael, of course they're going to do it."

Kiwi-born former Australia forward Brad Thorn was the subject of heavy treatment when he chose the green and gold over New Zealand, but Pritchard said Thorn had more right to call himself Australian than did Hunt.

"Thorn, he's done a lot, he played for the All Blacks as well," the 22 year old said.

"He always said he wanted to play for (Australia). Fair enough, he went and did it. He played State of Origin for Queensland."

Kiwis star Benji Marshall said he tried to talk Hunt into playing for New Zealand.

"I'm a bit disappointed," Marshall said. "I've always expressed that I wanted him to come and play here. He's only been over here for five or six years."

Asked if Hunt could expect extra attention early in the game, McClennan told a media conference: "Not the early moments - the whole game.

"(But) he's allowed his choice. We've got (Cairns-born Brent Webb) playing for us, and he's proud to play for the Kiwis and we're proud to have him."

Webster added: "I didn't expect him to be called into the team. I thought there'd be a few before him.

"If the chance comes for one of us to get stuck into him a little bit, I'm sure we will."

Halfback Thomas Leuluai said: "I was pretty shocked."

The Daily Telegraph

Wiki

Juniors
Kiwis to put heat on Hunt
Mick Daly

May 02, 2006

AN angry New Zealand has lit the fuse for Friday's trans-Tasman Test by vowing to punish Australian fullback Karmichael Hunt for turning his back on the country of his birth.

The Kiwis gathered on the Gold Coast yesterday as news of Auckland-born Hunt's elevation to the Australian squad filtered through the camp.

Hunt, who moved to Australia from New Zealand when he was 10, earlier this year considered making himself available for the Kiwis after his chances of representing Queensland in State of Origin appeared slim.

The Kiwis tried to be diplomatic when told of Hunt's selection in place of injured fullback Anthony Minichiello, but several players were privately seething at his perceived lack of loyalty.

It was too much for young Kiwi stars Jake Webster and Frank Pritchard – both Australian-born – who said Hunt would finish the Test wishing he had never made it on to the field.

Melbourne Storm winger Webster claimed Hunt would "pay the consequences" for his swinging allegiances.

"It doesn't look good for him and I think he's going to find that out," he said.

"He's going to get it. You can't do what he has done and expect to get off lightly.

"We will definitely be out to make him pay. He'll get his share of treatment.

"It's pretty ordinary, really. A lot of the boys will be out to touch him up. I know I will be."

Pritchard, the Penrith Panthers second-rower, claimed Hunt had proved he only cared about himself by failing to commit himself to one country or the other.

He said there was no place in the New Zealand squad for players who were unsure where their loyalties rested.

Several Kiwi representatives have made their choices. Fullback Brent Webb was born in Cairns, Webster in Melbourne, while Pritchard and the Cayless brothers, Jason and Nathan, were born in Sydney.

"It's his decision. Come Friday, just bring it on," Pritchard said.

"All the boys, out of respect for the black and white jersey, are going to show him what he has turned his back on."

Hunt said he was expecting a backlash from the Kiwis as he prepares to become one of Australia's youngest debutants.

"I'm expecting it quite a bit, even the dirty stuff," he said yesterday after he was rushed into the Australian camp following Minichiello's withdrawal because of a lower back complaint.

At 19 years and 169 days, Hunt will be the youngest Australian fullback in 95 years and the fifth youngest national team debutant.

Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall said he had accepted Hunt's decision but was far from happy.

He said he had previously tried to convince Hunt to play for NZ in the belief the Kiwis could dominate the international game with him in the team.

"I'm a little bit disappointed to be honest, but that's life," Marshall said.

"I've always expressed that I wanted him to play for New Zealand."

Marshall can also expect to be targeted, with Australian players yesterday admitting they would test the condition of the young star's suspect shoulder.

Thomas

First Grade
Excellent.

I hope the kiwis focus all their energy on getting Hunt and forget about Lockyer and co.

Roos by 20+

I will say, as much as I hate him, his inclusion along with the naming of SBW and benji has certainly raised the profile of this game immensely. Everyone is talking about it, and its going to have PLENTY of feeling.

This is great given that prior to this all the talk was about qld selections etc and if benji or sonny bil would play, which was starting to dim my enthusiasm. Now im as pumped as i was post trinations.

Wiki

Juniors
Thomas said:
Excellent.

I hope the kiwis focus all their energy on getting Hunt and forget about Lockyer and co.

Roos by 20+

Thats the only thing I'm scared about. If they lose their cool, go after Hunt and thats the ball game.

We have to keep focussed. But with Wiki and Bluey there, I'm confident we will keep focussed and give Hunt a pounding in the process :)

miccle

Bench
Talk it up Kiwis. Wasn't Bryce Gibbs doing the ol' trash-talking before the Tigs met the Doggies a few weeks back? Yeah that's right, they got ABSOLUTELY HAMMERED! Always seems to be the way when people have mouths bigger than their abilities.

Seriously, I do hope the Kiwi's concentrate on hunt. They can feel all big and tough by belting a 19 year old kid, while Joey, Locky and Bedsy can have the time of their lives putting the points on. Hunt to get a bit hurt, Roos to have a field day.

Wiki

Juniors
miccle said:
Talk it up Kiwis. Wasn't Bryce Gibbs doing the ol' trash-talking before the Tigs met the Doggies a few weeks back? Yeah that's right, they got ABSOLUTELY HAMMERED! Always seems to be the way when people have mouths bigger than their abilities.

Seriously, I do hope the Kiwi's concentrate on hunt. They can feel all big and tough by belting a 19 year old kid, while Joey, Locky and Bedsy can have the time of their lives putting the points on. Hunt to get a bit hurt, Roos to have a field day.

Sorry but what was the score the last time we played you?

:cry:

brooksy19

Bench
miccle said:

Incorrect, he never said a thing.

xstasy

Juniors
Well Come On Then You f**king Kiwis!

Show Us What You Got
Don't Be Crying If You Get Your Asses Kicked Though!
Then We'll See Who's All Talk!

salivor

First Grade
All their comments are bloody hollow when their brother in arms is a dinky di Australian in Brent Webb. All those comments will be doing is getting the back up of the Australians when the Kiwis are threatening to belt up one of their mates. Just a bit of extra motivation for the Australian forwards to protect him, as if they didn't need enough motivation to play well being on home soil and trying to seek revenge for the Tri Nations.

I've got an uneasy feeling we could get belted in this match. You never keep an Australian side down for long.

screeny

Bench
salivor said:
All their comments are bloody hollow when their brother in arms is a dinky di Australian in Brent Webb. All those comments will be doing is getting the back up of the Australians when the Kiwis are threatening to belt up one of their mates. Just a bit of extra motivation for the Australian forwards to protect him, as if they didn't need enough motivation to play well being on home soil and trying to seek revenge for the Tri Nations.

I've got an uneasy feeling we could get belted in this match. You never keep an Australian side down for long.

I disagree; what's made them angry is his hesitancy and seeming change of heart a few weeks ago, only for him to come out and say 'it was Australia for me all along'.

Webb went Kiwi as it was best chance for int'l footy, he didn't play silly buggers with the NZRL or the NZ public (or Test team).

DeeGan

Bench
I am sure Karmichael is flattered by the attention - we will be sure to let all the folks in Moonee Ponds, VIC (where Webster was born) know that your after Hunt the turncoat :D

freeridermx

Juniors
it makes the kiwi`s look pretty stupid cause the blokes talking up it a both australia, webb and pritchard. so it looks stupid probs why the papers done it to have a go at the kiwi`s anyway . it should be coming from if any a full kiwi born and bred not an australia born australian raised kiwi who plays for the kiwi just makes them to sound like idiots.

Iafeta

Referee
Last year McClennan and his charges said somethings that were a bit iffy. Some of his comments they clearly followed, others appeared to be smokescreens.

IMO, McClennan will use the situation to put some passion into the jumper for sure, but will largely use the cutie ambush as a smokescreen hiding the true plans he will put in place. In retrospect, I don't think cutie will get anything that the other 16 Australian players aren't in for.