What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 down, whats the thoughts?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
My thoughts are - only one game was exciting to watch all the way to the end - Tigers vs St George. The others were mis-matches and became dull and predictable by halftime. TV commentary is woeful - I watched 90% on mute. Gus & Rabs need to be put out to pasture. The reffing has been pretty bad, very messy rucks in both Tigers/Saints and Storm/Knights games. Way too much holding down. Another thing I've noticed is how many forward passes are allowed, particularly if they are from dummy half. There are dozens in every game. It seems that if it's only slightly forward the refs let it go.
Most impressive sides were Broncos & (choke) Manly.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Tigers & Broncos stand out for me.

Saints are up against all sorts of shit next weekend. Lack of form. Lockyers last game in QLD. We'll be the villains in the media and to the refs. We won't get a f**king thing.

We'll have to play like we did this time last year to be a chance.

We're a chance because we are there, but thats it. Can't see us winning. Just don't have the form or the energy it would seem.

Tigers V Broncos GF for mine with the Tigers taking it out.

undertaker

Coach
My thoughts are - only one game was exciting to watch all the way to the end - Tigers vs St George. The others were mis-matches and became dull and predictable by halftime. TV commentary is woeful - I watched 90% on mute. Gus & Rabs need to be put out to pasture. The reffing has been pretty bad, very messy rucks in both Tigers/Saints and Storm/Knights games. Way too much holding down. Another thing I've noticed is how many forward passes are allowed, particularly if they are from dummy half. There are dozens in every game. It seems that if it's only slightly forward the refs let it go.

Not to mention the Storm's markers consistently being caught offside, yet the ref doing bugger all about it. Fair enough, the Storm were the better team today, but I really hope the refs really crack down on this over the next couple of weeks

Red Bear

Referee
Tigers excellent. Manly's second half supurb. Melbourne did enough but will need to lift.

Brisbane were good but I wonder how the game would've gone if the Warriors didnt drop so much ball/so many stupid offloads. For much of the match they were making extremely good metres, Matulino and Lillyman in particular, but they never capatilised because they kept f**king up. Attack wise Brisbane very impressive.

St George have the intensity, fairly good defence but arent playing with much confidence in their attack. Hope they lift for the Broncos game.

Warriors, well. They cant play worse than that. They've been impressive much of the year so I hope they fire up next week but I think they're done. Expecting big things from them the next couple of years though.

Tigers to win the comp I think, although Melbourne in the prelim will be very tough

Melbourne: Still very strong, but no where near as dangerous as they were 07-09 (for obvious reasons). Beatable, but you need to beat them, they won't lose the game playing poorly.

Manly: When they're on a roll, they're hard to stop, but can be very ordinary at times. If they get to the grand final (and in turn get their whole squad back, minus Wolfman), they'll probably win it, but I don't think they'll make it.

Brisbane: Very tough to beat. Have plenty of strike on the fringes and will punish you if you make mistakes. If you give them nothing, you'll probably beat them, but if you turn over cheap possession, they'll thrash you. Historically get harder to beat the deeper they go.

Tigers: They only need to be on for a short period of time to win. If they get on top, all you can do is try and minimise the damage. If their defence holds strong they'll be tough, but can leak lots of points. Can definitely go all the way, but the biggest threat to them is themselves.

Dragons: Probably won't go all the way, they seem to lack the belief and the punch in attack. They probably should have lead by more at halftime on Friday but took some negative options. They'll try to grind out the wins, but their defence isn't nearly as good as it was last year.

Warriors: Wildcard, if the passes stick, they can beat anyone, if they don't they can't beat anyone. They can't play as poorly as they did against Brisbane again, but they have a huge gap to close by Friday if they're to beat the Tigers. Don't think they can win it, but stranger things have happened.

Seedings:
1. Broncos
2. Tigers
3. Storm
4. Sea Eagles
5. Warriors
6. Dragons

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
Broncos looked impressive for mine, as an eagles fan i will enjoy watching Broncos/Saints
should be an absolute cracker with both teams hopefully bashing the bejesus outta each other
Tigers looked good, but winning so many straight makes me think a loss is due
Melbourne played as well as they had too against the knights

stormbati

Bench
Melbourne and Brisbane have met in every finals series since 2004 until 2010 when neither made the finals.
Only once has Brisbane won..bastards. Could well meet again!

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Melbourne are in easy. Tigers or Warriors will need a miracle on the day to beat them, especially down there.

Dragons are goooooonnnnneeee. I give them no chance...but stranger things have happened, like Souffs making the 8 a few years ago.

Manly are also in, but the Broncos won't give in as easily as Tigers/Warriors will to Storm.

Ignoring the salary cap scandal, the best 2 teams of the last 5 years fight it out again. Manly vs Melbourne, too tough to call. Slightly favoring Manly with G.Stewart back in the team.

LazyDreamer

Bench

The Cowboys were up 8-0 at halftime....

Hutty1986

Immortal
Melbourne are in easy. Tigers or Warriors will need a miracle on the day to beat them, especially down there.

Dragons are goooooonnnnneeee. I give them no chance...but stranger things have happened, like Souffs making the 8 a few years ago.

Manly are also in, but the Broncos won't give in as easily as Tigers/Warriors will to Storm.

Ignoring the salary cap scandal, the best 2 teams of the last 5 years fight it out again. Manly vs Melbourne, too tough to call. Slightly favoring Manly with G.Stewart back in the team.

:lol:

mongoose

Coach
I have a funny feeling the Dragons will lift this week and beat the Broncos and then get done by Manly the following week. Wayne Bennet will not let the Dragons exit so meekly in his final year with them. I can see the master coach getting them up for one last great performance before he leaves. Ironically it will be Lockyers last game and his career will come to an end at the hands of Bennet.

counterpuncher

Juniors
If the Dragons get out of Brisbane with the goods, Manly would face an extremely hostile Dragons heavy crowd in Sydney which I think would almost certainly outnumber their own by quite a large number.

...that being said, Dragons would need to lift a long way above Fridays effort to even get to the dance

Kiwimation

Juniors
Warriors will thrash tigers then the storm. They will meet broncos in final and the scores will be reversed. Warriors first grandfinal win comming up...

Shit did i just type that :-0

Gmac

Juniors
I feel for us NRL fans. Only once in the past 22 years was there an entertaining finals series, with the mighty Rabbitohs involved! And even then, it was just for one game!

Think manly ruined that one too from memory