What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 finals - game day thread Eels v Knights

Happy MEel

First Grade
Im looking forward to our 2022 back 5 being
Gutho, Hayze, will, Waqa and Russell. Make the decision now how we will line up next year and work this combination tirelessly over the preseason.
That’s a small back 3. I’d be looking to bring in a bigger body instead of Russell (Cotric perhaps), with Russell being Gutho’s understudy.

oneguy

Juniors
The penalty try and the win has taken the spotlight off the decision to allow the Knights try despite what I thought was a straight out shephard. DBrown was impacted, only by a step or two, but he was impacted.

Also credit where it's due, Arthur's decision to rest all the players against Panthers last week paid off I thought. Especially in the heat.

And what a mammoth task if Parra could defy the odds and finally crack the premiership. they take on Panthers, Storm and then most likely Rabbitohs. Tough run. They deserved the premiership and would make up for the long wait if they can pull it off.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
That’s a small back 3. I’d be looking to bring in a bigger body instead of Russell (Cotric perhaps), with Russell being Gutho’s understudy.
Russell is taller than Cotric, but lighter at only 90kgs. I think he will be plenty big enough once he turns into a man. He already looked heaps bigger than I remembered when he played against the Panthers. Haze is also taller but lighter than Cotric.

hindy111

Post Whore

Russel is not small. He is 188cm and 90kgs. He has a fairly big frame. I'd imagine by end of the off season he hits around 96kgs. And his natural playing weight will sit just under the 100kgs. Being he is still only 19yld he will fill out.
Waqa is 190cm and 98kgs in comparison.

Dunster's different. He is 22 and turns 23 in March. His body would be fully developed frame wise. He could add a little muscle. Not short but not a huge frame. He is 187cm and 90kgs.(These are fairly old weights and they don't seem to adjust them) He will probably end up around 94-95kgs. And will naturally get stronger due to playing NRL. Gym will do so much. He needs game time strength which I can already see him improving over last month. Being all the disruption over the last two seasons he hasn't had a heap of game time.

Some players come into NRL and look great. Pensini is one of them. But other's need time. I reckon about 40-50 games gets them to where they need to be physically.
Gym work is similar to the real world. A lot of labourers or farmers wouldn't go to the gym and may not squat 200kgs but still would be naturally stronger then half these gym junkies due to working all the smaller muscles weights don't focus on.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Russel is not small. He is 188cm and 90kgs. He has a fairly big frame. I'd imagine by end of the off season he hits around 96kgs. And his natural playing weight will sit just under the 100kgs. Being he is still only 19yld he will fill out.
Waqa is 190cm and 98kgs in comparison.

Dunster's different. He is 22 and turns 23 in March. His body would be fully developed frame wise. He could add a little muscle. Not short but not a huge frame. He is 187cm and 90kgs.(These are fairly old weights and they don't seem to adjust them) He will probably end up around 94-95kgs. And will naturally get stronger due to playing NRL. Gym will do so much. He needs game time strength which I can already see him improving over last month. Being all the disruption over the last two seasons he hasn't had a heap of game time.

Some players come into NRL and look great. Pensini is one of them. But other's need time. I reckon about 40-50 games gets them to where they need to be physically.
Gym work is similar to the real world. A lot of labourers or farmers wouldn't go to the gym and may not squat 200kgs but still would be naturally stronger then half these gym junkies due to working all the smaller muscles weights don't focus on.
Dunster has been more effective than Sivo coming out of our own end. He seems to run at the gap between defenders well and wriggles though a bit more.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
Great news..fines for jnr and Marata...bring it ON
How good …. Was not expecting that

And yet for the Paulo shot they went back past the play to award a crucial penalty that could have been very costly

Waqa was not even cited

yy_cheng

Coach
The penalty try and the win has taken the spotlight off the decision to allow the Knights try despite what I thought was a straight out shephard. DBrown was impacted, only by a step or two, but he was impacted.

Also credit where it's due, Arthur's decision to rest all the players against Panthers last week paid off I thought. Especially in the heat.

And what a mammoth task if Parra could defy the odds and finally crack the premiership. they take on Panthers, Storm and then most likely Rabbitohs. Tough run. They deserved the premiership and would make up for the long wait if they can pull it off.
I thought Paulo was a but overused in the heat.
He did come off but somehow I didn't see it

There's still many weeks to go against no weak teams going forward.

I hope Junz is not burnt out

That Newcastle try was criminal. The whole season they disallow that try and then all of a sudden it’s a try.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yeah maybe. I am surprised how Dunsters yardage has improved. I didnt think he would ever reach the numbers hes currently achieving but hes certainly surprised. Russell on the other hand looked really good in his first appearance. I thought he looked better suited than Hayze so Id be happy to give him first crack.

Gazzamatta

Coach
E_EjSCQUYAMiWdp
"Fu*c off Bradman with your 99.94 average missed tackles on our Will"

Gazzamatta

Coach
I thought Paulo was a but overused in the heat.
He did come off but somehow I didn't see it

There's still many weeks to go against no weak teams going forward.

I hope Junz is not burnt out
I agree. Its a BA trait to overuse his starters. Maka was going ok and Carty had precious few minutes. Its as if he dosent trust his reserves. And whats going on with Matto? Surely he trusts him?

pazzaeel

Juniors
Sorry if this has been discussed, I haven't had time to read the whole thread.

Did anyone think anything of Newcastle's high amount of HIA's yesterday and subsequent free interchanges? Some were definitely legit but others just seemed well timed. I also thought they did some time wasting in pretty key moments (frizzells 2nd substitution behind the deadball line comes to mind).

anyone else think this?

Noise

Coach
Sorry if this has been discussed, I haven't had time to read the whole thread.

Did anyone think anything of Newcastle's high amount of HIA's yesterday and subsequent free interchanges? Some were definitely legit but others just seemed well timed. I also thought they did some time wasting in pretty key moments (frizzells 2nd substitution behind the deadball line comes to mind).

anyone else think this?
Yea but we have been the kings of suspect HIA interchanges in the past. The rule is there to be exploited.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Dunster has been more effective than Sivo coming out of our own end. He seems to run at the gap between defenders well and wriggles though a bit more.

Sivo was bog average most of this season, if not worse.

Rucking it out, he just runs directly at three forwards, and gets smashed. Then either drops the ball while standing up to play it, or take about 15 minutes to play the ball. Then complains to the ref.