What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weightloss surgery

Weightless operations

• Agree

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Dont care

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Cliffhanger

Coach
Overweight people are a massive burden on our health system, giving them an easy way out is the last thing we should do. Let natural selection run its course, if they're not willing to work on their health, then why should we waste our precious and limited medical resources on them.

Their disease is one which can be effectively treated with lifestyle changes. For the first time ever a generation will live shorter lives than the one that preceded it, the population is shrinking and rather than taking the cheaper preventative methods to these diseases we're offering people an easy way out.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Also I think anybody who chooses to spend thousands of dollars on weight loss surgery so they can get overnight results, rather than fix their lifestyle is unlikely to be able to keep their new body.

billy2

Juniors
What do you guys think of this process I've just done it the success rate is high

Discuss
It's one of the few things that actually works for people have fallen into the morbidly obese range.
Nathan Tinkler had it done and looks like he has dropped 30 or 40kg.

dogslife

Coach
It would obviously be more beneficial for you to lose the weight naturally through diet and exercise. I assume you're talking about lap band surgery? I don't know enough about it to comment, but to me, doing it through diet and exercise seems like a more beneficial approach long term. You'd be able to get yourself into the habit of eating healthy and exercising regularly whereas you're more likely to regress if you take the surgery route. And obviously it would be better for your health long term doing it naturally. I think because it's the tougher option it gets overlooked too often

griffo346

First Grade
Cliffy is people like you who don't have a open mind to things hom people dislike

Im not fat due to eating unhealthy mine was a medical issue which I choose to not disclose it started when I was young and I won't lie I wasn't big on exercise either

And for you to sit there n say that people won't tick to it and say its overnight results I say is incorrect chek your facts before posting.

My operation was a gatic sleeve op and it's a minimum 2 month recovery they cut 3/4 of the stomach out and you have to o through different levels to get back to eating properly and ultimately healthy as I see this is not a over night result.

There are others like the gastric banding which can be cheated if your not dedicated to a change.

Penny wise mate my op costed $10,000 So with the op that took place there is no chance of gaining weight as your stomach doesn't grow back.

I heard tinker had the banding and if your dedicated the band will work

MatthewA

Juniors
Each to their own in terms of the surgery.

I'm over weight and I considered it many times, but it's not something I'm willing to do. Not at the moment anyway.

As strange as it is to disclose such personal info on a rugby league forum, I'm seeing results so I'm not ashamed to speak.

I was sent to a dietician last August-early September and also joined the gym. I worked hard and dropped nearly 20kg in a couple of months. Since about mid-December I stopped seeing him, stopped regularly attending the gym and went into a party kind of stage with a lot of my mates, who influenced me to go out and have a good time rather than concentrate on what I was doing. It wasn't their fault, it was mine for stopping and I gained all of it back through heavy drinking and eating habits that got me to the overweight stage I was to begin with.

But last week I decided to get back into and do things right this time around. I'm back at the dietician, had my first hit back at the gym today and am feeling motivated :)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Overweight people are a massive burden on our health system, giving them an easy way out is the last thing we should do. Let natural selection run its course, if they're not willing to work on their health, then why should we waste our precious and limited medical resources on them.

Their disease is one which can be effectively treated with lifestyle changes. For the first time ever a generation will live shorter lives than the one that preceded it, the population is shrinking and rather than taking the cheaper preventative methods to these diseases we're offering people an easy way out.

You're a f**king idiot with no f**king idea. Grow up.

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
You ask for people's opinion on a matter and they are single minded for having a differing view to yours? Pot meet Kettle. Why bother asking the question if you're just going to tell people the "correct" answer. Douche.

Danish

Referee
It definitely works.

2 people on my wife's side of the family have had the band put on in the last 5 years. Both lost 50kg in about 2 years.

Only issue is that they need to be managed very carefully. One of them ended up having to get it taken out due to complications, while the other had it set too tight and ended up vomiting a lot because she would try to eat too much food. This led to her getting some pretty serious esophagus problems and some cancerous growths in her intestines.

Both have put some weight back on since getting them removed, although not back to their old weights.

My take on it is that any weight loss surgery will only work temporarily, and if you want the weight loss to stick you need to make plenty of lifestyle changes at the same time. If you don't make diet changes and start exercising, then while you will still lose weight while the band is in, it won't be sustainable for anything more than a few years.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Cliffy is people like you who don't have a open mind to things hom people dislike

Im not fat due to eating unhealthy mine was a medical issue which I choose to not disclose it started when I was young and I won't lie I wasn't big on exercise either

And for you to sit there n say that people won't tick to it and say its overnight results I say is incorrect chek your facts before posting.

My operation was a gatic sleeve op and it's a minimum 2 month recovery they cut 3/4 of the stomach out and you have to o through different levels to get back to eating properly and ultimately healthy as I see this is not a over night result.

There are others like the gastric banding which can be cheated if your not dedicated to a change.

Penny wise mate my op costed $10,000 So with the op that took place there is no chance of gaining weight as your stomach doesn't grow back.

I heard tinker had the banding and if your dedicated the band will work
Obviously I was not referring to people who were overweight due to a medical condition, but people who get so fat that exercising them would be extremely difficult . Also while medical conditions and body type can make it easier to gain weight very few people are purely fat because of a medical condition. There are always poor lifestyle choices at play.

My point was I cannot see how someone who is too lazy to exercise and too ill-disciplined eat right to lose weight will suddenly change after surgery because of the adverse affects, f**k sake they were always at risk.

I am not sorry if your feelings are hurt and I am indifferent to the fact your surgery was a success. I wish you no luck with your recovery either.

Cliffhanger

Coach
You ask for people's opinion on a matter and they are single minded for having a differing view to yours? Pot meet Kettle. Why bother asking the question if you're just going to tell people the "correct" answer. Douche.

I know I mean you would expect it from a middle-aged man who makes status updates about how lonely he is and how he wishes he could just have someone to hold. Oh wait.

griffo346

First Grade
Again Cliffy I don't care if you not wish me good luck etc I can pove to you just how many sucess's there is you are just so close minded about it

Cliffhanger

Coach
Not saying it's never going to be successful. I am saying the results will never be as good as losing weight by making tangible lifestyle changes and that I find it hard to believe that there are so many success stories.

It's not about being close minded, I think there are far better options and while I know someone has to be in a pretty desperate condition in order to qualify for the surgery, I still think they should seek other options. You asked for an opinions and you may think I am being harsh, but when there's some parents who have to pay 60,000 a year to care for their autistic child because he's just not autistic enough the government to help out and then people are having these surgeries paid for (and I am aware you paid for yours) then that just pisses me off.

I would also rather our medically trained professionals treating people who don't have non surgical options.

billy2

Juniors
A tiny, tiny percentage of morbidly obese people manage permanent weight loss through diet and exercise.
A lot of them can lose weight for a short time, but they can't keep it off.

People who are 10 or 15 kg overweight shouldn't consider surgery, but people who are 50kg overweight - it's probably the only proven way to give them a good chance at life.

Cliffhanger

Coach
They can keep it off, they just don't. We as a society need to work on stopping people from getting morbidly obese in the first place.

As someone who's lost 40kg before, without surgery, a personal trainer or a nutritionist and kept it off for nearly six years now, I whole heartedly disagree that surgery is the only way to give these people a good shot at life.

It can be done, you just have to have the patience, discipline and will power to make it happen.

Hooch

Juniors
I am not sorry if your feelings are hurt and I am indifferent to the fact your surgery was a success. I wish you no luck with your recovery either.

I dunno. Everyone thinks you're a good kid in your way, if not pretty extensively f**ked up, but that's a pretty cruel and pointless comment to make to someone who wasn't having a go at you, and is recovering from a reasonably serious operation. But I suppose that's just your go hey. Bit dissapointing really when you wanted to turn a corner and all that.

As for lap band surgery, it won't change behaviour, and I dont think people understand how devastating the complications can be from this sort of operation. I certainly would never consent to having my stomach cut open in order to drop weight.

OP I hope you got better days ahead, and remember there's more to life than how many kg's you're carrying. It's probably better just to focus on being healthy rather than getting sucked into how you look, even if it is human nature to do so.

Cliffhanger

Coach
He seemed offended by my response, I just wanted to make it clear how little I cared about his feelings and his operation.

Wow, "extensively f**ked up" I never realised so many people on here had diagnosed me. *ego expands*

Last edited: