What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weightloss surgery

Weightless operations

• Agree

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Dont care

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I intended to offend as much people as possible, there were tactful ways to express my opinion, but this issue is one that just pisses me off.

You've lost me...
You are a very sad young woman that shows great lack of sensitivity, humility, intellect and common sense.
Grow up fool :(

Cliffhanger

Coach
You've lost me...
You are a very sad young woman that shows great lack of sensitivity, humility, intellect and common sense.
Grow up fool :(
Wow, you can make a judgement about someone's character based on nothing other than what they post online.

Tell me what does my future hold? Don't be shy, go ahead tell me I am going to die alone because no man could put with someone as overbearing and outspoken as me and that I am going to end up in some shitty job because I was too arrogant to start at the bottom.

You know if you took your own advice and read your posts before clicking submit, you would realise that you are showing a great deal of arrogance and hypocrisy and a lack of common sense.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I never said it won't make you lose weight, I said there were better options and that I don't see how people who've had problems sustaining healthy diets, will suddenly have luck sustaining one with this simply because the risks are higher. To qualify for these surgeries you're already at a ridiculously high risk. Last year a friend of mine died in her sleep because of her weight and she was only 21. I don't understand how this slightly higher risk because of a stapled stomach will cause them to make tangible changes.

Who knows maybe the quick the results motivate them. Maybe the cost of the surgery makes it so they cannot afford their food bill any more.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
For those saying it won't work etc

I've lost 12.5 kilos in 2.5 weeks

There is no doubt it is extremely effective in the short term. The risk with any surgery options is that it encourages people to not make the lifestyle changes required to maintain a sustainable healthy lifestyle. It's a quick fix for a more serious underlying issue that is often ignored.

I hope it works out for you, like it does for many others. However, I tend to agree with Cliffy, all narcissism aside. It should absolutely be a last resort, and shaking the bad diet habits in conjunction with lack of exercise is a far bigger task than getting the surgery...

A 12.5 kilo loss could be attained in around 3 or 4 weeks, with simple diet changes assuming you're around the 140-150kg mark.

Cliffhanger

Coach
All dickheadedness aside, I hope it works out for you griffo.

It's something I hope I never have to reccomend for my future clients, but I don't know your case, or how desperate your situation was and your medics are far more knowledgeable than I.

Danish

Referee
For those saying it won't work etc

I've lost 12.5 kilos in 2.5 weeks

Sounds good so far mate.

The key won't be the first 12 months though. You'll lose weight over the next year without an issue. The real battle comes between 1-3 years after the surgery. Thats when you'll really need to make sure you've not only just been eating less food, but eating healthier food as well.

An auntie on my wife's side who had this surgery lost a tonne of weight, but just kept eating whatever she wanted. For a while it just meant not eating much, then every now and then she'd eat too much and vomit. That led to a whole range of health complications normally seen in bulimic patients, so stomach ulcers, an enlarged esophagus (she basically grew a 2nd stomach) and a few other things.

So yeah, congrats on it going well so far, just make sure you are also making changes to your diet and incorporating some exercise in there as well. Doesn't have to be much, just starting off with a walk around the block once a day is all thats needed to start building the right mindset.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
What are the actual crieteria for being able to recieve weightloss surgery? Does weight loss through less invasive means have to be impossible for you through other means, or do you just have to be above a certain obesity level?

Cliffhanger

Coach
It's not impossible for anyone to lose weight via other means, it's never impossible. There are very basic principles to weight loss which pretty much apply across the board.

I think it's based on BF percentage.

_snafu_

Immortal
I am sitting on a train opposite the biggest dude I have ever seen. He's tucking into a 50 piece feed from KFC stinking out the whole carriage. I am physically ill just smelling that shit.

But it's all good. He's drinking Pepsi Max.

Not a candidate for weight loss surgery.

Hooch

Juniors
An auntie on my wife's side who had this surgery lost a tonne of weight, but just kept eating whatever she wanted. For a while it just meant not eating much, then every now and then she'd eat too much and vomit. That led to a whole range of health complications normally seen in bulimic patients, so stomach ulcers, an enlarged esophagus (she basically grew a 2nd stomach) and a few other things.

Yeah.

It really is a bizarre surgery. There is nothing wrong with the stomach that is being operated on. It is a perfectly fine, fully functioning stomach. Something that you're lucky to have.

All it does is provide a sense of having a full stomach, but if you eat less regularly your stomach will shrink up a bit. But a sense of fullness is a hormonal response (that becomes greatly distorted with long term disordered eating), not just a sensation of having full guts.

Caveat emptor I suppose.

Mikey Robbins had it done and is putting it back on slowly. Not there's anything wrong with him carrying extra weight, it's just that he didn't have to have someone opening his stomach up. The consequences can be severe, there was one lady in the paper who had it done up this way and ending up having to have a large portion of her stomach removed after infection or something. Once you're at that stage you realise what's really important.

My big problem with this sort of surgery is it's motivated by body image, and I think reinforces the whole negative and destructive stereotype that there is something wrong with you if you are overweight or even obsese (which probably leads a lot of people to feel shit about themselves and comfort eat).

Perhaps one day they will try brain surgery to fix up a distorted body image. Destructive surgery has been done in the past plenty for mood disorders and the like.

You could just as easily have your hands amputated so you can't pick up a fork.

I'm not having a shot at Griffo, I'm simply pointing out there are a lot of reasons not to have this sort of surgery. Unless you are bedridden, you can lose weight by changing your diet and activity. These are the only things that work long term anyway.

Heck, any surgery has risks. General anaesthesia I don't think is deeply understood by science. A small percentage of people remain conscious through the procedure, and some remain conscious, unable to move but have full pain sensation. Google anaesthesia awareness. It's not a nice thing.

You've got to be a really informed medical consumer.