What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Pneuma

First Grade
It’s stretched the depth of playing talent for the 3 qld sides
May have been the case. Won’t in the future. Storm have a clear pathways for local juniors now and it is starting to pay dividends. Participation is definitely growing and the quality with it. They get huge pay tv ratings and are an essential part of the comp. All jokes aside Perth has greater potential to flourish quickly.

Colk

First Grade
A "niche' that's bigger then all the NRL clubs bar the Broncos. C9 have shown the NRL and the Storm live for over a Decade now, before there existence the game had Zero presence here.

The Storm don't have any special device that gives them access to QLD juniors that every other club doesn't.

The Storm aren't owned by News anymore and without them we are an insular competition with only Auckland outside NSW and QLD.

WTF is your obsession with "sell outs" in a 3rd world shithole? Why would that be great for the game? Oh look we generated $12 today through ticket sales!

Bit harsh to call PNG a shithole. I feel sorry for their people. Nevertheless, I do agree with everything else you say.

We should only care if clubs are well supported, not the circumstances surrounding it. The Storm are popular and probably more popular than people would have expected when they were incepted. That’s a really good thing for the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
you realise they had a potential fan base of 5m people?
Thrown in with a very good successful roster

The new stadium opened mid 2010,

They have averaged:

2011 - 14,246
2012 - 12,684
2013 - 16,302
2014 - 14,894
2015 - 13, 453
2016- 18,079
2017 - 18,375
2018 - 17,295
2019 - 18,230
2022 - 18,390

Seems pretty consistent but a niche following in the city, They have a 30k seater too so it isn't even they are too popular for the ground
If Niche is top 4 memberships, top 4 attendances and top 4 tv audiences then I'd hate to see what the low drawing clubs in the NRL are called!

RL is niche in Melbourne, The Storm are not.

Iamback

Coach
A "niche' that's bigger then all the NRL clubs bar the Broncos. C9 have shown the NRL and the Storm live for over a Decade now, before there existence the game had Zero presence here.

The Storm don't have any special device that gives them access to QLD juniors that every other club doesn't.

The Storm aren't owned by News anymore and without them we are an insular competition with only Auckland outside NSW and QLD.

WTF is your obsession with "sell outs" in a 3rd world shithole? Why would that be great for the game?

What club has 5 million people to draw a fan base from?

Where did I say they shouldn't be in the comp?

If they were selling out the argument could be made a bigger ground is needed. Games at AAMI park are running at 66% capacity and has been for the last 4 seasons. Isn't a niche sport in a city if 5 million?

Perth Red

Post Whore

If they were selling out the argument could be made a bigger ground is needed. Games at AAMI park are running at 66% capacity and has been for the last 4 seasons. Isn't a niche sport in a city if 5 million?
18k people at a sport isnt niche. 180 people at a sport is niche!

Wb1234

Referee

WTF is your obsession with "sell outs" in a 3rd world shithole? Why would that be great for the game? Oh look we generated $12 today through ticket sales!
They rarely show the storm live on fta in Melbourne

remember use it or lose it ? Gallop backed off forcing nine to show storm games on fta before midnight lol

who cares if they show them live in Sydney

wow so the storm should be in the nrl because without them the nrl is an insular competition stretching from Melbourne to far north qld and over to New Zealand

that’s some chip on your shoulder

let’s put dots on map because afl does

be careful of that term bc that’s what a lot of people refer Townsville as and they have their own nrl team

Wb1234

Referee
May have been the case. Won’t in the future. Storm have a clear pathways for local juniors now and it is starting to pay dividends. Participation is definitely growing and the quality with it. They get huge pay tv ratings and are an essential part of the comp. All jokes aside Perth has greater potential to flourish quickly.
Any league game gets huge tv ratings on pay tv even the trial games

Like the swans they barely rate on fta in their home market

Wb1234

Referee
If storm are a massive club that means we’ve cracked the Melbourne market

why then can’t we get these magic tv deals which you think should come when we have the same penetration as afl (ignoring Auckland Canberra central coast Newcastle regional qld)

Pneuma

First Grade
Any league game gets huge tv ratings on pay tv even the trial games

Like the swans they barely rate on fta in their home market
The highest rating STV footy shows have been the storm. We can only guess the Victorian viewing numbers but they are a massive brand. Their support in Melbourne as a second club to afl teams is huge. And because they have a qld flavour that helps the Vics because they hate nsw so much.

Perth Red

Post Whore

remember use it or lose it ? Gallop backed off forcing nine to show storm games on fta before midnight lol

wow so the storm should be in the nrl because without them the nrl is an insular competition stretching from Melbourne to far north qld and over to New Zealand

be careful of that term bc that’s what a lot of people refer Townsville as and they have their own nrl team
lol Storm usually the 2nd or 3rd most shown team on fta! 2020 they were only beaten by the broncos and 2021 they were only beaten by the broncos and eels! So so wrong

Wb1234

Referee
The highest rating STV footy shows have been the storm. We can only guess the Victorian viewing numbers but they are a massive brand. Their support in Melbourne as a second club to afl teams is huge. And because they have a qld flavour that helps the Vics because they hate nsw so much.
What 70k viewers from Melbourne on top off the 500k from nsw and qld who want to watch a successful team

nope

Iamback

Coach
Bit harsh to call PNG a shithole. I feel sorry for their people. Nevertheless, I do agree with everything else you say.

We should only care if clubs are well supported, not the circumstances surrounding it. The Storm are popular and probably more popular than people would have expected when they were incepted. That’s a really good thing for the game.

I think Perth will be the same after 20 years though, hence why other areas are better options

Canard

Immortal

That's 20 years ago.

All FTA games have been shown live into Melbourne for at least a Decade, with the Storm games often on the main channel.

Origin also rates its arse off, also.

As for the "be careful' threat, what are you 12? Grow up Boomer

I hate this hand job reason that LU have come up with to try to downplay the Storm crowds.

The only metric it should be compared to is other NRL clubs, and in that respect they kick arse.

Wb1234

Referee
That's 20 years ago.

All FTA games have been shown live into Melbourne for at least a Decade, with the Storm games often on the main channel.

Origin also rates its arse off, also.

I hate this hand job reason that LU have come up with to try to downplay the Storm crowds.

The only metric it should be compared to is other NRL clubs, and in that respect they kick arse.

A select few games

Perth Red

Post Whore

It comes from a position of embarrassment I think. The fact Storm in just 24 years are one of the biggest fanbase clubs in the NRL and one of the most popular on TV for fans across the nation, despite being in AFL heartland and competing against 9 AFL teams on their doorstep, must be pretty hard to swallow for fans of RL heartland clubs with a hundred year existence!

Wb1234

Referee
I’m talking fox. It’s indisputable. They get huge ratings.
I know what your talking about

they don’t get those huge ratings from new viewers in Melbourne

that’s where having a club in Melbourne is key

to grow ratings in their home market

Latest posts