What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Pneuma

First Grade
Go on then

you tell me which other expansion team ranks behind them in terms of what they’ve brought back for the game

even the titans come ahead of them
How can the game ever grow if we don’t have teams outside our traditional base? The storm’s value to the NRL is that they give the game traction in our second largest market. They are clearly one of the biggest sporting brands in Australia. The goodwill they provide the game is almost immeasurable. Sorry mate but I completely disagree with you here. A lot.

We don’t have exact figures but it probably under 100k from Victoria at best

like the swans and lions

I would suggest a lot were from qld since the qld sides were average for a while and they were basically the 4th qld side

You might find this information from PYTHAGONRL useful:
A Storm game doesn’t have a huge impact on ratings in Sydney but does add 25,000 FTA viewers and 17,000 PTV viewers from Victoria and another 10,000 viewers in Brisbane (4k FTA, 6.5k PTV). It’s likely that this impact is understated, given how rarely the NRL rates at all in Melbourne. While these numbers sound small in the grand scheme, assuming that those figures generally hold across all games, the Storm would go from having the second highest average on PTV to twelfth, and from second to fourth on FTA without their local audience.

This really puts paid to the idea that teams from Sydney and Brisbane can have any meaningful appeal in the southern states without expansion. To truly engage Perth, Adelaide and other places in any form will require teams in those cities. It is simply not enough for Sydney clubs to move the occasional lack lustre game and hope that simple repetition engages with a wider non-traditional market. If those places are to care even a little bit, they need their own teams.

In Brisbane, a small rise in FTA and a 15% jump in PTV ratings strongly suggests that the Storm are serving as a surrogate fourth Queensland team thanks to the well-documented exploits of the future Immortals that played in purple and in maroon.

Wb1234

Referee
How can the game ever grow if we don’t have teams outside our traditional base? The storm’s value to the NRL is that they give the game traction in our second largest market. They are clearly one of the biggest sporting brands in Australia. The goodwill they provide the game is a most immeasurable. Sorry mate but I completely disagree with you here. A lot.
Because we haven’t even tapped out the growth from our existing areas which will offer way more than the storm Perth or Adelaide can ever offer

given so many good places want an nrl team we don’t need to just put dots on a map like afl and then throw hundreds of millions at it hoping it works

the reality is we haven’t even begun to develop the market in Melbourne for rugby league and it’s going to take decades and way more money than we currently spend

Canard

Immortal
Because we haven’t even tapped out the growth from our existing areas which will offer way more than the storm Perth or Adelaide can ever offer

given so many good places want an nrl team we don’t need to just put dots on a map like afl and then throw hundreds of millions at it hoping it works

the reality is we haven’t even begun to develop the market in Melbourne for rugby league and it’s going to take decades and way more money than we currently spend

Thankfully this insular thinking will die out with the Boomers in the next few years.

Pneuma

First Grade

Good grief. It’s too hard don’t bother?
The history of the world is if you fight to defend your own little world the big bad world swallows you up.
The logical thing to do is to defend and attack. Defend by suring up your markets.
Attack by placing yourself in their market. Make them respond. Make them worry.
I can tell you now the afl does not want an afl team in Tassie, does not want an nrl side in Perth, but does want to expand into North Queensland and the hunter because the growth potential is huge.
And I can assure you they have not enjoyed the success of the Storm.
For all its bluster the afl is a small sport with no future outside Australia. It knows it and it’s shit scared of any codes success. And they Will aggressively attack our market with shit loads of cash.
What better way of pissing them and the ARU off than plonking a team in WA which has the full support of the WA government? Obvious is obvious,

Wb1234

Referee
Good grief. It’s too hard don’t bother?
The history of the world is if you fight to defend your own little world the big bad world swallows you up.
The logical thing to do is to defend and attack. Defend by suring up your markets.
Attack by placing yourself in their market. Make them respond. Make them worry.
I can tell you now the afl does not want an afl team in Tassie, does not want an nrl side in Perth, but does want to expand into North Queensland and the hunter because the growth potential is huge.
And I can assure you they have not enjoyed the success of the Storm.
For all its bluster the afl is a small sport with no future outside Australia. It knows it and it’s shit scared of any codes success. And they Will aggressively attack our market with shit loads of cash.
What better way of pissing them and the ARU off than plonking a team in WA which has the full support of the WA government? Obvious is obvious,
The afl couldn’t care less about an nrl team in Perth

afl owns the state

a smallish Perth nrl team is the least of their concerns

rugby league has zero chance fighting afl in afl states

just like afl is finding in rugby league states

Pneuma

First Grade
The afl couldn’t care less about an nrl team in Perth

afl owns the state

a smallish Perth nrl team is the least of their concerns

rugby league has zero chance fighting afl in afl states

just like afl is finding in rugby league states
With this attitude mate we might as well give up. Are we an Australian game or not? Whether you acknowledge it or not the Swans are a part of Sydney and loved. The Storm are in the same boat in Melbourne but about 5 years behind. I was at the sharks south’s final and during the half time break all eyes in the bar I was in were on the swans v somebody game final minute and they got a massive cheer when they won. As they gain traction in Sydney, and they are, we need to reciprocate. Whatever you make of the swans and no matter how much you may wish to diminish their inroads in Sydney, it’s real. I’ve travelled to the place for decades and I see the difference. You notice it more when you are a casual visitor. It’s very similar with the storm in Melbourne.
These aren’t bad things but if your response is simply to fight within your borders I can assure you history is not on your side.
As Confucius said ‘know your enemy’. You will never beat him otherwise.

Wb1234

Referee
With this attitude mate we might as well give up. Are we an Australian game or not? Whether you acknowledge it or not the Swans are a part of Sydney and loved. The Storm are in the same boat in Melbourne but about 5 years behind. I was at the sharks south’s final and during the half time break all eyes in the bar I was in were on the swans v somebody game final minute and they got a massive cheer when they won. As they gain traction in Sydney, and they are, we need to reciprocate. Whatever you make of the swans and no matter how much you may wish to diminish their inroads in Sydney, it’s real. I’ve travelled to the place for decades and I see the difference. You notice it more when you are a casual visitor. It’s very similar with the storm in Melbourne.
These aren’t bad things but if your response is simply to fight within your borders I can assure you history is not on your side.
As Confucius said ‘know your enemy’. You will never beat him otherwise.
Gain trajectory ?

they’ve been in Sydney 40 years lol

when they made a grand final people watch them and when they don’t they go back to their league teams

the nrl is an international competition so no it’s not just Australian

Perth and Adelaide aren’t essential for rugby league to be bigger than afl

In 2000, all Sydney clubs generated less money from gate receipts than all non-Sydney clubs:

Clubs were also required to have a minimum revenue of $8 million per season, including gate receipts of $1.25m and net sponsorship of $2.5m.

While the three Sydney clubs who had aligned with Super League – Canterbury, Penrith and Cronulla – were considered the most profitable, every non-Sydney club produced larger gate receipts than their Sydney rivals.

The Bulldogs and Sharks barely made $8m from football operations in 2019.

The less money a club makes from its football operations the more it relies on handouts from other sources.

Pneuma

First Grade
Gain trajectory ?

when they made a grand final people watch them and when they don’t they go back to their league teams

Oh dear I give up.

My final effort is this. I live in Tasmania. It’s a state of 500,000 people. No rugby league is played here. Nothing. 11 years ago the Storm played a trial v the Broncos here.
At the time there was a 4 team senior comp in the State. Nothing else. It’s gone now.
I went to the game and the place was packed. It holds 20000. The official crowd was about 12000. Local officials from the afl club that sponsored the game said that was sold tickets. Under 12s got in for free. It was more like 17000. Every time we refuse to take an opportunity we fail the game.
Write what you like in response mate but I get the feeling you might be part of the problem.

Pneuma

First Grade
In 2000, all Sydney clubs generated less money from gate receipts than all non-Sydney clubs:

Clubs were also required to have a minimum revenue of $8 million per season, including gate receipts of $1.25m and net sponsorship of $2.5m.​
While the three Sydney clubs who had aligned with Super League – Canterbury, Penrith and Cronulla – were considered the most profitable, every non-Sydney club produced larger gate receipts than their Sydney rivals.​

The Bulldogs and Sharks barely made $8m from football operations in 2019.

The less money a club makes from its football operations the more it relies on handouts from other sources.
Ffs make give it a rest. This isn’t a Sydney v the World issue. It’s about how we grow from here. Your contributions are utter garbage.

Wb1234

Referee
Oh dear I give up.

My final effort is this. I live in Tasmania. It’s a state of 500,000 people. No rugby league is played here. Nothing. 11 years ago the Storm played a trial v the Broncos here.
At the time there was a 4 team senior comp in the State. Nothing else. It’s gone now.
I went to the game and the place was packed. It holds 20000. The official crowd was about 12000. Local officials from the afl club that sponsored the game said that was sold tickets. Under 12s got in for free. It was more like 17000. Every time we refuse to take an opportunity we fail the game.
Write what you like in response mate but I get the feeling you might be part of the problem.
Look your a good poster

on this one I just don’t agree with you

it’s ok for people to have different viewpoints otherwise the world would be boring

Pneuma

First Grade
Look your a good poster

on this one I just don’t agree with you

it’s ok for people to have different viewpoints otherwise the world would be boring
Indeed. Think with eyes wide open and the world becomes a bigger better place.

Iamback

Coach
I’ll answer that:
1. It’s the National Rugby League. It’s nice to have a team in each major state to validate the name;
2. Offering the code to more kids to play - participation.
3. Money- the place is loaded and will be the beneficiary of massive renewable energy projects over the next twenty years. Population growth will be significant and the opportunity to grow the game significant. Watch this space. It’s about to happen in the Hunter and North Queensland as well by the way. Renewable energy is a run away train of economic opportunities as coal and oil are petering out as energy options.
4. Justice. Perth Reds grief is real and the Reds should never have been chucked. Doesn’t justify his anti Sydney agenda though.
5. The potential playing base there is real and with union falling over itself to be incompetent, it’s there for the taking.
There endeth the lesson.

1. NZ 2 does the same thing
2. Same here
3. Anywhere new is going to bring money in
4. Maybe so but you ask anyone involved they say cost was a huge burden. You had 3 grades then, What is the cost to fly a side East? Or how practical is it to fly your backup guys to play NSW/QLD Cup each week for meaningful game time.
5. Union is for the taking anywhere, Most places don't hate either one.

For me the NRL likely uses the same criteria they did for the Dolphins, Ensuring they will be stable.

So for me the next team needs to be a developing market but be able to add to the player pool.

Melbourne had 2 teams fold, So had a ready made squad, They also are close enough to use the 2nd tier of NSW/QLD.

Perth will have neither so will struggle from the outset, Due to its distance and isolation

Colk

First Grade

Where exactly should the NRL go that is an existing stronghold that doesn’t have a team?

You could put another team in QLD perhaps but that should be after the Dolphins are well settled.

PNG? Well I would want that be more economically feasible first.

Where else?
Rugby League is clearly second to Union in NZ so you can’t say there.

There are not a lot of options to go down the route that you are proposing and even if there were (which I would find hard to believe in any case) the goal should be with any sport or business is to find ‘new’ supporters or markets and the only way really to do that is to go to new markets rather than existing ones.

Pneuma

First Grade
Where exactly should the NRL go that is an existing stronghold that doesn’t have a team?

You could put another team in QLD perhaps but that should be after the Dolphins are well settled.

PNG? Well I would want that be more economically feasible first.

Where else?
Rugby League is clearly second to Union in NZ so you can’t say there.

There are not a lot of options to go down the route that you are proposing and even if there were (which I would find hard to believe in any case) the goal should be with any sport or business is to find ‘new’ supporters or markets and the only way really to do that is to go to new markets rather than existing ones.
Alternatively we can ‘fish where the fish are’. Worst quote in sports history.

Iamback

Coach
Why haven't the Storm changed the game in terms of TV? On what basis do you claim that? Aren't you the plonker that's been arguing for months that the FTA deals were the same?

Why have the Warriors been "more successful"?

You live down there, How many stories in before you hit a RL story on the TV News? Same question for in the news paper?

Both are key to gauge a sports overall popularity.

NHL is my preferred sporting comp, A Niche sport and nothing wrong with that

Pneuma

First Grade
1. NZ 2 does the same thing
2. Same here
3. Anywhere new is going to bring money in
4. Maybe so but you ask anyone involved they say cost was a huge burden. You had 3 grades then, What is the cost to fly a side East? Or how practical is it to fly your backup guys to play NSW/QLD Cup each week for meaningful game time.
5. Union is for the taking anywhere, Most places don't hate either one.

For me the NRL likely uses the same criteria they did for the Dolphins, Ensuring they will be stable.

So for me the next team needs to be a developing market but be able to add to the player pool.

Melbourne had 2 teams fold, So had a ready made squad, They also are close enough to use the 2nd tier of NSW/QLD.

Perth will have neither so will struggle from the outset, Due to its distance and isolation
I think we see this differently but can we agree the Donk is an idiot?

Colk

First Grade
Gain trajectory ?

I think they have gained a fair bit of traction in Sydney. If we’re being honest, they are a very recognisable brand in Sydney, same as the Storm are in Melbourne.

The point is that you can’t grow if you stay in the same place. It’s self limiting

Latest posts