What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Thought I'd stick this one here so it's in the main forum and it's pretty well not an idea anymore, although admins/mods, free to move obviously. Looks like Redcliffe will be joining the NRL, article extract below.

News Corp strikes $75m deal with NRL to prop up 2023 Redcliffe expansion​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

October 4, 2021 — 3.06pm

The NRL is expected to propose the Redcliffe Dolphins as the expansion team for 2023 after striking a deal with News Corp to inject an extra $75m into the sport over five years.

Sources with knowledge of discussions told the Herald that as part of the deal, the NRL has pledged to reduce the number of free-to-air games involving the News Corp-owned Brisbane Broncos by up to 25 per cent.

The deal with News Corp, which is worth $13m-$15m a season, came as a shock to Nine Entertainment Co, publisher of this masthead, when it was recently told of the arrangement.

Someguy

First Grade
All those fantasy football players and Supercoaches will be shedding tears at the 1 team bye every week. Surely we drop a Sydney team to keep even number of teams. That or bring back the Rams

Pippen94

First Grade
All those fantasy football players and Supercoaches will be shedding tears at the 1 team bye every week. Surely we drop a Sydney team to keep even number of teams. That or bring back the Rams

Rams?! It'll be perth

Add another team from QLD or WA and have 2 conferences of 9 teams - Sydney Conference and Non Sydney Conference.

Increased revenue from the naming rights of the two conferences with Telstra the main naming right sponsor - Telstra Premiership.

25 Rounds - play teams in your conference twice and the other conference once

Either top 5 finals series and conference winners play off superbowl style

or

top 4 from each conference cross over finals series- similar to current top 8

Qualifying finals

1 vs 2

Elimination Finals

3 v 4

t-ba

Post Whore
They gonna be awesome and remain Redcliffe still or do something stupid and call themselves Brisbane?

Right decision. Now to figure out where Team 18 comes from.

Pippen94

First Grade
Add another team from QLD or WA and have 2 conferences of 9 teams - Sydney Conference and Non Sydney Conference.

Increased revenue from the naming rights of the two conferences with Telstra the main naming right sponsor - Telstra Premiership.

or

Qualifying finals

1 vs 2

Elimination Finals

3 v 4

Crossing conferences defeats purpose comrade. Have a Sydney grand final & a big city one on other side then super bowl. Sydney & another big market maximizes audience

jim_57

Staff member
It’ll be interesting to see what the in-depth plans are. Dolphins have potential as an NRL club as long as they’re willing to make some compromises. As is “Redcliffe” is hardly appealing to well over half of Brisbane’s population, if they can market themselves appropriately as representing North & East Brisbane/Moreton Bay/Sunshine Coast then they could be huge.

Excuse my pessimism towards the NRL but I could see this being “jobs for the boys” with no real in-depth review in to all bids. Just choosing Redcliffe because they flashed a few $50s from their nice pokie room and one of the board member’s dad used to play for them in the 60’s.

Pippen94

First Grade
It’ll be interesting to see what the in-depth plans are. Dolphins have potential as an NRL club as long as they’re willing to make some compromises. As is “Redcliffe” is hardly appealing to well over half of Brisbane’s population, if they can market themselves appropriately as representing North & East Brisbane/Moreton Bay/Sunshine Coast then they could be huge.

Excuse my pessimism towards the NRL but I could see this being “jobs for the boys” with no real in-depth review in to all bids. Just choosing Redcliffe because they flashed a few $50s from their nice pokie room and one of the board member’s dad used to play for them in the 60’s.
Cheer up Jim. You had crushers from 1995-97. Didn't work tho

Last Week

Bench

or

Qualifying finals

1 vs 2

Elimination Finals

3 v 4
No.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
A quick basis of a team for 2023:

1. Manu
2. ???
3. Bird
4. ???
5. Oates
6. Walker
7. ???
8. Paulo
9. Koroisau
10. ???
11. Kikau
12. ???
13. Martin

14. ???
15. ???
16. ???
17. ???

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Forum user feedback: I'd have left it in the main NRL forum tbh. The pro wrestling, NFL, and computer games forums all have more posts than the NRL expansion forum. Buried what looks to be major news in a barely used area of the broader LU forum.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Forum user feedback: I'd have left it in the main NRL forum tbh. The pro wrestling, NFL, and computer games forums all have more posts than the NRL expansion forum. Buried what looks to be major news in a barely used area of the broader LU forum.
Yeh its going to have a big impact on NRL so should now be talked about in main thread. Maybe when the speculation becomes an announcement I guess lol

LeagueXIII

First Grade

The motive was to drive more subscriptions to Fox by getting Broncos games on Fox...Pete and the partnership....real growth would bring two new clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The motive was to drive more subscriptions to Fox by getting Broncos games on Fox...Pete and the partnership....real growth would bring two new clubs.
Its so RL to base expansion decisions on removing the most popular club off fta to appease a tv corp who want to drive people to subscribe to its channel in that city lol

I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies but Vlandys mates got just what they wanted and now FTA carries all the risk. If the new club is more Titans than Storm then FTA loses out big time in this deal.