What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

The Great Dane

First Grade
nz certainly won’t be based in one city either. It will obviously be Christchurch based but then Wellington Hamilton and Dunedin should get games. Other than Wellington they all have great rectangular grounds

they will basically be a non Auckland nz side
The Warriors already fit the all of NZ niche, and they'll have been doing it for 30 years by the time the next club comes in.

Splitting games between cities like that would just put the new club in the position of trying to fight the Warriors for the tile of 'the NZ side', when odds are that's a fight they will lose (unless they are winning premierships, but you can't bank on that type of success) because there are no major incentives for most of the Warriors fanbase outside of Auckland, and the home city of the new club, to switch teams from the Warriors other than the new side is different.

So all they'd achieve by going down that route is confusing their image by trying to be everything to everyone, and putting themselves into a direct conflict that they'll almost certainly lose. It's also just generally a bad idea to attempt to cannibalise a club's fanbase like that.

So instead they should pick a market then be extremely parochial within said market, i.e. the worlds against us beleaguered underdog fighting the behemoth style image. Or in other words a pre-2005 ACT Brumbies style image.

I'm not necessarily saying that they shouldn't play games outside of their chosen market (nor the Warriors outside of Auckland for that matter), but where they are from and whom and what they represent should be crystal clear, otherwise they'll just come off as a plastic corporate creation that doesn't really represent anything, and only exists purely for corporate business interests, i.e. GWS... In a small market like NZ that'll be enough to cripple the club.

If the NRL wants market coverage in NZ then it's going to need at least 3-5 teams in NZ anyway. So given time the other major cities/regions will get their own teams, they just have to be patient.

MugaB

Coach
The Warriors already fit the all of NZ niche, and they'll have been doing it for 30 years by the time the next club comes in..

So instead they should pick a market then be extremely parochial within said market, i.e. the worlds against us beleaguered underdog fighting the behemoth style image. Or in other words a pre-2005 ACT Brumbies style image.
A team like PNG PRIDE

MugaB

Coach
Depends realistically how soon they want to announce a team. If its in next 5 years cant see it being Brisbane3. In the most recent interviews they keep talking about new markets which would also suggest they aren't thinking about Brisbane.
Realistically that leaves Perth or Christchurch/Wellington as the only likely options..
18PNG,
...YEAH YOU KNOW ME!!
18PNG,
...YEAH YOU KNOW ME!!
18PNG,
...YEAH YOU KNOW ME!!
Whos down wit PNG
videotogif_2020.09.10_05.53.45.gif

Wb1234

Referee
Those are covid numbers. Normally it’s a $13mill grant in a $10mill cap. Clubs are operating on around $30mill budgets so any new club will need to be able to generate in the region of $17mill a year without pokie den help.

the multi city nz idea is interesting, pros and cons to it for sure, i suppose gws have built a fanbase in two cities so maybe it would work.

Perth doesn’t need afl fans to like rl, it has a large contingent of rl fans to fill the stadium with. Perth is also very parochial and the people here get behind all the teams that represent perth in my experience.
Vlandys isn’t going to cut funding to clubs that’s his biggest achievement. Plus the clubs will scream bloody murder

the arlc has the funds to fully pay for the salary cap to go up to 11.4 million per club …. It will cost them around 30 million and the surplus they make can easily cover that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys isn’t going to cut funding to clubs that’s his biggest achievement. Plus the clubs will scream bloody murder

the arlc has the funds to fully pay for the salary cap to go up to 11.4 million per club …. It will cost them around 30 million and the surplus they make can easily cover that
You think the grant has stayed at $16.3mill post covid? That’s some bonus to the clubs if thats true.

Wb1234

Referee
You think the grant has stayed at $16.3mill post covid? That’s some bonus to the clubs if thats true.
15.2 now vs a cap of 9.4 million

that’s the current funding

but the arlc gave players a 7 million bonus last year

i think that approx 6 million gap is the new normal going forward yeh

I can’t see clubs giving it up now they have it

LeagueXIII

First Grade
In other words, if the NRL had their heart set on a team in e.g. Adelaide or Melbourne then they'd be able to achieve it within a few years. That's never going to happen of course, but it could if they wanted it to.

Good point. The NRL are making no noise about Adelaide or Perth, unfortunately. However they are when it comes to NZ.

The Great Dane

First Grade
There has been definitely no noise on Adelaide, some on Perth but most about NZ.
It's honestly fascinating how negative the average RL fan is to the idea of Adelaide getting an NRL club.

A lot of people are almost hostile to the idea, when it seems like an inevitability to me. It's really random.

Colk

First Grade
It's honestly fascinating how negative the average RL fan is to the idea of Adelaide getting an NRL club.

A lot of people are almost hostile to the idea, when it seems like an inevitability to me. It's really random.

True. A city of over 1.5 million people seems a pretty logical market to me. So does Perth.

If you wanted a 20 team competition you’d add Adelaide, Perth and a second NZ side. If you wanted a team for south of the Brisbane River, you could remove one of the Sydney sides.

MugaB

Coach

Im not sure why, the rams were not world beaters, but they weren't overly hated, i would love to see the NRL return there

The Great Dane

First Grade
Im not sure why, the rams were not world beaters, but they weren't overly hated, i would love to see the NRL return there
The Rams were astoundingly successful considering their circumstances.

A record attendance of 27,435 and average attendance of 15,330 in 1997 is astounding and showed huge potential. Even their average of 7,682 in 98 is significant considering that everybody who was paying attention knew that, for better or worse, they wouldn't make it to 99. Most other clubs put into those circumstances wouldn't have done half as well, and it's a testament to Adelaide and it's potential as a market that they were as successful as they were.

IMO, along with the Chargers they are the two clubs that were the worst shafted by the reunification. The Reds, Crushers, Steelers, etc, I can understand, they were broke and unsuccessful (largely through no fault of their own mind you) and it was going to cost the sport a fortune it didn't have to save them. The Rams and Chargers on the other hand had money in the bank and were better off than more than a few clubs that survived simply off the back of tradition...

Frankly if any clubs were murdered during the SL war it was the Rams and Chargers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
15.2 now vs a cap of 9.4 million

that’s the current funding

but the arlc gave players a 7 million bonus last year

i think that approx 6 million gap is the new normal going forward yeh

I can’t see clubs giving it up now they have it
How do you know that’s this years grant? Where did you see it. Last year it was $16.3mill.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good point. The NRL are making no noise about Adelaide or Perth, unfortunately. However they are when it comes to NZ.
Hmmm. In the last two articles on club 18:

vlandys:
“if we can make the game national we’ll do so. There’s a possibility of Perth or even New Zealand, there’s a lot of possibilities.”

abdo: “the commission is open to looking at 18 teams down the track and open-minded about the location of potential new markets.”

Colk

First Grade
The Rams were astoundingly successful considering their circumstances.

A record attendance of 27,435 and average attendance of 15,330 in 1997 is astounding and showed huge potential. Even their average of 7,682 in 98 is significant considering that everybody who was paying attention knew that, for better or worse, they wouldn't make it to 99. Most other clubs put into those circumstances wouldn't have done half as well, and it's a testament to Adelaide and it's potential as a market that they were as successful as they were.

IMO, along with the Chargers they are the two clubs that were the worst shafted by the reunification. The Reds, Crushers, Steelers, etc, I can understand, they were broke and unsuccessful (largely through no fault of their own mind you) and it was going to cost the sport a fortune it didn't have to save them. The Rams and Chargers on the other hand had money in the bank and were better off than more than a few clubs that survived simply off the back of tradition...

Frankly if any clubs were murdered during the SL war it was the Rams and Chargers.

Exactly. I would say that GC, Adelaide and even Perth (they were broke although no fault of their own) were better off or had more potential than most of the sides that were kept in.

NZ 2, Perth and Adelaide would be perfect as the next 3 sides

Colk

First Grade

vlandys:
“if we can make the game national we’ll do so. There’s a possibility of Perth or even New Zealand, there’s a lot of possibilities.”

abdo: “the commission is open to looking at 18 teams down the track and open-minded about the location of potential new markets.”

I would agree with V’Landys statement - that sounded positive. Abdo less so.

I would love a Perth and even an Adelaide side but I think the winds are blowing towards a second New Zealand side. I hope that all three, are in the winds so to speak.

Wb1234

Referee

vlandys:

And there’s two articles where abdo only mentioned nz2

And there was an article a while back where the clubs voted their support for nz

all these leaks about expansion have been spot on. I read the dolphins would win six months before they got the nod

nz are long odds for team 18

I’m sure abdo has already discussed this with sky nz which would explain their confidence

Colk

First Grade
It’ll be Nz 2 unless something drastic happens but let’s hope it doesn’t stop at 18

Wb1234

Referee
How do you know that’s this years grant? Where did you see it. Last year it was $16.3mill.

nrl paid out grants of 240 million in 2021

ie fifteen million a club

there maybe been a bonus payment after this of 1 million from the arlc having greater than forecast profits

Latest posts