What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the Toyota Cup

Willow

Assistant Moderator
NRL launches Toyota Cup under-20 competition

April 13th, 2007

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=13379

The NRL yesterday launched a national under-20s competition, the Toyota Cup, for 2008 with emphasis being placed on the development of players both on and off the field.

The competition will involve all 16 NRL clubs and will kick off in 2008. Part of the criteria is to have specific guidelines in place to ensure the young footballers are developing themselves away from the game with off-field education and traineeships. In addition, clubs cannot train during business hours on three working days of each week.

Every team will have a designated welfare officer to accompany the team on all away trips and assist the rookies in planning for off-field career options.

Former first grader and international Michael Buettner has been named competition manager.

"Players accept today that professionalism is about life both on and off the field but most of the older players have had to learn that after making first grade," Buettner said.

"From the moment a player makes it into the Toyota Cup the message will be loud and clear that the first step will be to start building for life after football."

NRL boss David Gallop praised the national under-20s competition as an exciting addition heading into the centenary of rugby league.

"It's fitting that the game's centenary year will be marked with a new competition aimed at the next generation of stars," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to LeagueUnlimited's sub forum where you can discuss the national youth (U/20s) competition which is kicking off in 2008.

Cheers.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
does anyone know, or has it been announced what is happening to the current junior teams like HM, SGB and JF ?

Brycey

Juniors
Twizzle said:
does anyone know, or has it been announced what is happening to the current junior teams like HM, SGB and JF ?
SG Ball (U/8) and HM (U/16) will have a pre-season NYC tourament or something similar but other than that I dont know.

colonel_123

Juniors
Twizzle said:

The New South Wales Rugby League will use the emergence of the National Under-20s competition (Toyota Cup) as an opportunity to create an independent open-aged competition focusing on returning top level Rugby League to suburban grounds.

In the months that the National Under-20s has been in planning, the NSWRL has canvassed a range of options for its competitions structure, ranging from new opportunities at the Under-16 and Under-18 level, and an open-aged competition that will recapture the spirit of traditional clubs battling it
out on a weekly basis.

Clubs such as Wests, Balmain, Newtown, Auckland and Norths have indicated their desire to be involved in this standalone competition - which will replace the VB Premier League - and a majority of NSW National Rugby League clubs have indicated their involvement through a joint venture method or
otherwise.

The advent of the new open-aged competition, the expansion of the junior representatives and the niche-filling Jim Beam Cup competition will see the NSWRL provide opportunities for every level of footballer;

* The best Under-16s Harold Matthews and Under-18s SG Ball teams to compete with their Queensland counterparts for "National champion" status from 2008 onwards, with the added incentive of potential selection in Australian U16 and U18 sides to play New Zealand each year.

* The open-aged competition to provide the best players outside NRL level, playing at local and traditional venues which will often be vacated due to NRL away games.

* A semi-professional Jim Beam Cup competition that gives players an opportunity to play at the best of their abilities without the requirement of full-time commitment.

"We've been given a chance to streamline our competitions and further improve the pathways we already have for kids wanting to progress through to elite level football," NSWRL General Manager Geoff Carr said.

"We had feedback from many clubs that a credible open-aged competition is very important, and with the Toyota Cup, in most cases, providing the only fixture prior to an NRL clash, there is a real opportunity to develop this competition through playing stand-alone fixtures and double-headers.

"If games are programmed correctly, we can take advantage of situations where, for instance, Wests Tigers might be playing away, so a Wests versus Balmain clash could be scheduled at Leichhardt Oval - to provide credible suburban football to Sydney rugby league fans."

"The Jim Beam Cup was never intended to breach the gap between an Under-20s and open-aged competition - it is a unique competition with a $150,000 salary cap that is designed to ensure teams are not stacked."

In conclusion, the NSWRL will now allow a period of time for clubs to complete negotiations for joint ventures, before finalising its competitionstructures.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=13415

davidn

Juniors
in the harold matthews cup and sg ball comps who are supposed to be the Qld counterparts...teams from broncos,titans and cowboys or rep teams selected from the current brisbane metropolitan comp

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
oh ffs, alot of posts have been made by members with regards to this NP, Harold Mats, SG Ball will be just NSW based, as would the PL.

robbo333

Juniors
i wonder wat will happen to all the junior comps i hav a few mates playing in the cronulla sharks harold amtthews team and their not sure either

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
the NSWRL takes over the junior comps, IIRC the Harold Mats, SG Ball will remain almost the same to what it is now.

bondy064

Juniors
Are teams such as Redcliffe Doplhins, Norths Devils etc, allowed to compete in the comp as well.

roopy

Referee
bondy064 said:
Are teams such as Redcliffe Doplhins, Norths Devils etc, allowed to compete in the comp as well.
yes - as soon as they get a team in the NRL.

imasharkie

Coach
What is happening with tv screening of matches. Will there be live or replays of games. I don't really care as I will watch them anyway.

imasharkie

Coach
imasharkie said:
What is happening with tv screening of matches. Will there be live or replays of games. I don't really care as I will watch them anyway.

ooops I just found it in another thread.
Sorry about that.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
On Fox

2 games a week I think

1 on Saturday before the NRL games
1 on Sunday before the NRL game.

Titans look good.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I thought that Channel 9 was suppose to show one too. Hmmm, not sure on that. I doubt it, though, other wise it would have been mentioned when they announced the TV deal.