What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We'll bury the hoodoo - Des Hasler

Nemesis

Bench
Brisbane have done it twice since then dude. 92-93, 97-98
You're right... my apologies. '97 doesn't count though imo as it was SL only. In any case, no side has done it in the last 15 seasons and no Sydney side has gone back to back since the Dogs in '84 & '85, so I can't see it happening again soon.

Last edited:

^_^

Juniors
Put it this way guys theres a 1 in 16 chance they will go back to back.....

All this BS saying theres no chance they can do it is a bunch of dumb merkins wishing out of their asses....1 in 16 is the way i see the chances for any team on their given day....f**kn hell :roll: Fair enough some teams may be better off or worse on those odds but theres always that oppurtunity to win it.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Bench
Put it this way guys theres a 1 in 16 chance they will go back to back.....

All this BS saying theres no chance they can do it is a bunch of dumb merkins wishing out of their asses....1 in 16 is the way i see the chances for any team on their given day....f**kn hell :roll: Fair enough some teams may be better off or worse on those odds but theres always that oppurtunity to win it.
So there's a 6.25% chance that they will go back to back and 93.75% chance that they won't.... I know which one I'd have my money on.

nz eagle

Juniors
I think you could at least give them a 1 in 8 chance, when was the last time the previous years winner didnt make the top 8 the next year?

Nemesis

Bench
I think you could at least give them a 1 in 8 chance, when was the last time the previous years winner didnt make the top 8 the next year?
Ok then, so now there's a 12.5% chance that they'll go back to back and an 87.5% chance that they won't. I still know which one I'd have my money on.

The point is it's very, very tough to win successive titles.

BrisVegas

Juniors
I believe that while hard to go back to back, it's not quite as hard as some make out.

In the last 7 seasons both the Roosters and Storm have made it to three consecutive Grand Finals. Both teams could consider themselves unfortunate not to convert their chances.

In the current Era a well managed club probably has a window of 3 to 4 seasons before a significant club rebuild is required.

Nemesis

Bench
I believe that while hard to go back to back, it's not quite as hard as some make out.

In the last 7 seasons both the Roosters and Storm have made it to three consecutive Grand Finals. Both teams could consider themselves unfortunate not to convert their chances.

In the current Era a well managed club probably has a window of 3 to 4 seasons before a significant club rebuild is required.
I agree entirely... it does take a fair bit of luck though. Manly were very fortunate with injuries and rep committments last season, but it's unlikely the football gods will be so kind to them in 2009 and their depth will be tested.

Add this to the fact that being the reigning premiers means that every side will be gunning for them, so each game they play will be like a mini GF. It will be exceptionally tough for them this year and they will need to play significantly better than they did in 2008 to get there.

^_^

Juniors
I agree entirely... it does take a fair bit of luck though. Manly were very fortunate with injuries and rep committments last season, but it's unlikely the football gods will be so kind to them in 2009 and their depth will be tested.

If last yr showed us one thing it was that it dont matter where you fall in the top 8 its all about firing at the right time....Manly were not lucky to end the finals 112 points for to 12. Your right they got lucky during the season but they did have injuries like every other team some worst then others. Warriors fired at the right time & they got 1 game from the GF....I dont think Manly will be too worried about being targeted as the premiers cause they will also kno coming first at the end of the season means f all if you get belted by 40 points in the GF....

Nemesis

Bench
Manly will still have to improve their perfomance by about 30% from last year to even get close to going back to back. Don't forget that every other team in the comp (bar 2 or 3) have stronger playing rosters and will be doing a lot more homework on Manly this year, so they won't have the luxury of "flying under the radar" (nobody expected Manly to go as far as they did last year).

Manly have also lost a few experienced heads and in all likelyhood will suffer more than last year from injuries, suspensions and rep committments, which will test their depth considerably.

The difficulty factor for them will be double what it was last season, that's why no Sydney team has won successive titles for nearly a quarter of a century. I'm not saying that they can't do it, but they'll need a lot of luck as the odds are really stacked against it.

Last edited:

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Manly will still have to improve their perfomance by about 30% from last year to even get close to going back to back. Don't forget that every other team in the comp (bar 2 or 3) have stronger playing rosters and will be doing a lot more homework on Manly this year, so they won't have the luxury of "flying under the radar" (nobody expected Manly to go as far as they did last year).

Manly have also lost a few experienced heads and in all likelyhood will suffer more than last year from injuries, suspensions and rep committments, which will test their depth considerably.

The difficulty factor for them will be double what it was last season, that's why no Sydney team has won successive titles for nearly a quarter of a century. I'm not saying that they can't do it, but they'll need a lot of luck as the odds are really stacked against it.
30% really? id like to know where you got that stat from :lol:.
Let me guess Souffs team will be 40% better with the signing of Kane Cleal and Colin Best.

No body expected Manly to go as far as they did? we were on top of the ladder for most of the year, and runners up from the previous year, it was hardly a shock when we made the GF. Everyone knew it was going to be Manly vs Melbourne.

bluey

Bench
Love them or hate them Manly will be there ( Barring a horrific injury toll) its just who they will play.
Well coached well put together side, deserve every acolade that comes along

Gmac

Juniors
Don't waste your breath bishop

Hes just dirty on the fact his team has done sweet FA in last 30 years:lol:

Yes, there is a very high chance manly wont go back to back. But we will be up there, no doubt with a bunch of other teams. (Storm, Cowboys,Broncos, Saints Titans etc.) Hell, Parra might stay off the grog for once and do something..:crazy:

The only Thing I do know for certain is.... Souths will make it another year of sweet FA.

Nemesis

Bench
30% really? id like to know where you got that stat from :lol:.
Let me guess Souffs team will be 40% better with the signing of Kane Cleal and Colin Best.

No body expected Manly to go as far as they did? we were on top of the ladder for most of the year, and runners up from the previous year, it was hardly a shock when we made the GF. Everyone knew it was going to be Manly vs Melbourne.
Although we will be, Souths don't have to be 40% better to beat Manly, as we were the last team to beat you in round 23 last season (and round 23 of 2007 coincidentally).

Btw you missed a few signings... Wesser, Crossman, McQueen, Mundine etc... and of course that guy who scored 3 tries to destroy you in round 23 and cost you the minor premiership - Nathan Merritt, will be back to inflict some more pain on Manly.

If everyone supposedly knew it was going to be Manly vs Storm, why did Hasler make his now famous "flying under the radar" statement. You can't have it both ways and say you're "flying under the radar" and then turn around and say that everyone knew Manly would be in the GF.

Bury your head in the sand if you wish, but 25 years of history dictates that Manly will not win successive titles...

MSIH

Bench
Is that the same history that said Orford couldn't win the Dally M and a premiership in the same year?

Props to Souths for beating us in meaningless games. The measure of success.

Nemesis

Bench
Is that the same history that said Orford couldn't win the Dally M and a premiership in the same year?

How Orfull for you...

Funny with that lil history piece..
History SAYS manly wont go back to back..make the 8 sure but not the premiership

MSIH

Bench
Are you down syndrome, or do you just have trouble reading?

You are saying something that doesn't happen often can never happen again. Great lopic sap.

Although we will be, Souths don't have to be 40% better to beat Manly, as we were the last team to beat you in round 23 last season (and round 23 of 2007 coincidentally).

Btw you missed a few signings... Wesser, Crossman, McQueen, Mundine etc... and of course that guy who scored 3 tries to destroy you in round 23 and cost you the minor premiership - Nathan Merritt, will be back to inflict some more pain on Manly.

If everyone supposedly knew it was going to be Manly vs Storm, why did Hasler make his now famous "flying under the radar" statement. You can't have it both ways and say you're "flying under the radar" and then turn around and say that everyone knew Manly would be in the GF.

Bury your head in the sand if you wish, but 25 years of history dictates that Manly will not win successive titles...

Wesser, Crossman, McQueen (????) and Mundine - sounds like a Jim Beam Cup team!!!

Latest posts