What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well Played Ruds

Doctor

Bench
I hear Rudder is also widely credited as having invented sliced bread too - and HTML code for that matter. :roll:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
He then fills in for Kennedy and the like for a few weeks this year and is all of a sudden the number 2 5/8 in the club? Nope, he wins his spot back

That's not true. We had injurys in the backline so gidley had to fill in there. Hagan was quoted saying he was more then happy to keep gidley at 5/8.

Knights go on to win 5 of their last 6 after a disasterous run in the middle of the year

The disasterous run was because we were missing parsons, kennedy and simpson, plus it was through the origan period. We've won 5 out of 6 because we got these players back.

Gloss over him all you want, Chook. Fact is, Kurt Gidley will be more of the default 5/8 than Sean Rudder ever has been. No matter what you've tried to pour on him over the years you're never going to convince anyone he wasn't the first choice 5/8 after the names he's outlasted, out-acheived and out-performed.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
Gloss over him all you want, Chook. Fact is, Kurt Gidley will be more of the default 5/8 than Sean Rudder ever has been. No matter what you've tried to pour on him over the years you're never going to convince anyone he wasn't the first choice 5/8 after the names he's outlasted, out-acheived and out-performed.

Well he has played 5/8 for most of the last 3 years. It's no surprise that he's achieved more. But if he was as good as you're making out. Why didn't he even make the coutry team. Even with all the injurys to 5/8's, they decided to use a backrower to play 5/8, instead of rudder, who has been 5/8 in a team with a lot of quality players that make him look better then he is. Appart from half a dozen good games over the last 3 years. I can't say he has been anything more then a disapointing player.

Bring It, if rep sides were selected by you then Wayne Bennett never would've been selected for Australia and Rod Wishart would've been the greatest winger to pull on boots in the 90s. You've shown plenty of times you can't pick talent or judge anything on a rugby league park. No use blabbering about it either. Case in point, Shaun Timmins has played centre for NSW origin (that's origan for you) before and was always going to be first choice 5/8 for NSW this year.

Not some second rower. :lol:

You want another example? You've got Phil Bailey as a first drop centre in your little team of the year (even with a twist) when he's a second rower just playing in the backs to cover for the Sharks little backline problem.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
Bring It, if rep sides were selected by you then Wayne Bennett never would've been selected for Australia and Rod Wishart would've been the greatest winger to pull on boots in the 90s. You've shown plenty of times you can't pick talent or judge anything on a rugby league park. No use blabbering about it either. Case in point, Shaun Timmins has played centre for NSW origin (that's origan for you) before and was always going to be first choice 5/8 for NSW this year.

Not some second rower. :lol:

You want another example? You've got Phil Bailey as a first drop centre in your little team of the year (even with a twist) when he's a second rower just playing in the backs to cover for the Sharks little backline problem.

And if you had your way, sean rudder would be the next immortal.

How many times have you brought up wayne bennett, fair dinkum give it a rest and of course the spelling thing yet again. Next you'll be bringing up my living situation. All very valid points to do with the NRL in the year 2003 though. All they are, are pathetic cheap shots, simple as that! You know why wayne bennett wouldn't have played for australia if I'd picked the team back then. Maybe it would have been, because he played for australia 10 years before I was born :roll:

LOL! You don't even know when he played, do you?

Sean Rudder would never be a rep player in my eyes. He's simply the best option for the Knights. Do you get it yet?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
LOL! You don't even know when he played, do you?

Sean Rudder would never be a rep player in my eyes. He's simply the best option for the Knights. Do you get it yet?

I'm guessing early 70's. Care to enlighten me?

Yes, well guessed. :lol:

Now, when someone is selected to play for Australia, were they any good?

Forget it, Bring It. You have now degenerated Rudder's 'thank you' thread into a farce along with the help of Chook. What's the reason behind it? Did he bonk your women? Jeez almighty. Listen to the way you've gone on about the guy. It wasn't enough to bag him week in week out, you're now going to go out of your way to discredit his acheivments in a tribute thread?

Stick to the facts of his career. He's won a premiership, kept us a semi final team and beaten off more hyped players while doing so. That is an acheivment.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Now, when someone is selected to play for Australia, were they any good?

I dunno. I thought they would be, but now the way you're carrying on about wishart, I might be totally wrong :roll:

antonius

Coach
This thread was started as a bit of recognition for this blokes efforts for the knights over a long period of time, Just as a reminder here is what it was about.

Nice to see the crowd give him a Rousing cheer for his last home game. He's copped plenty has Rudder, but despite an early error today, put it behind him scored a try and went out on a winning note. Thanks for the efforts Ruds, you were no small part in us winning our second Grand Final. All the best in the future, and good luck in the semis.

Not how he played this week, last week, or last year, and as the original post said He's copped plenty, and aparently he still cops plenty. :evil:

Terminator

First Grade
Its ridiculous how you hang on to it BIHK.
I mean even if we were to make the GF and Ruds had a good game and scored the winning try in the last second , it probably still would'nt be good enough for you.

astrogirl

First Grade
I have said this before but I'll drag this out again.

Every team has their star player or 2. Except maybe Souths. But I digress.

Most teams consist of a star player or two, a few promising youngsters who may or may not hold a regular 1st grade spot and the rest of the blokes are first grade regulars of whom some are pretty good players and others have value because while they aren't as good as the others, they are reliable and can be counted on.

I count Sean Rudder to be a first grade regular who has value because he is reliable and can be counted on. I'm sure the team will miss his efforts. It will be strange not to see him in the red and blue next season.

Good luck for next year Sean, IMO you're a star in your own way.

Doctor

Bench
You have now degenerated Rudder's 'thank you' thread into a farce along with the help of Chook

That is neither true nor appropriate Wedge. I trust that you don't actually believe I intend to bring the topic to farcical levels.

If you would care to read my posts you should agree that I haven't bagged Rudder at all - all you're getting is my honest opinion.

But for all the criticism of Rudder over the years, flowing from my keyboard, I still can't fault his humilty and gutsiness. I have never had anything personally against him, I just didn't agree with the notion that he was the best 5/8 we had in the club
I say all the best to him - the Knights have benefited from his ability to play every week, and the English club will do likewise.

I've given the fellow quite a good wrap, but that doesn't mean that I should lie just to fit in with the obsequious nature of the topic.

Most others choose to heap praise on him - does this mean that I have to also completely agree with everyone Wedge? I certainly hope that we haven't reached a stage on the new forum where calculated and reasoned opinion is filtered out due to popular opinion.

I'll reiterate my stance: I admit I haven't been a fan of Rudder, but I have appreciated his reliability as a fill-in player. I think England will benefit from his experience, and the fact he has played alongside Johns counts for something. He has served his club well, humbly and with all the guts and determination that wearing the red and blue demands.

If you still believe I'm trying to or have already degenerated this post by criticising Rudder then you're quite literally kidding yourself Wedge. I cannot understand why you're complaining about me beginning to put balanced opinion into my posts when it was you yourself who suggested that everyone was far to willing to congratulate Rudder in his last game even though his performance was not all that special (you said it yourself)

His game yesterday was nothing more or less than his average all year yet it's all of a sudden praise worthy? Was it just cause it was his last game here?

You talk about beginning to criticise Rudder when it was you yourself who brought reasoned criticism into the discussion - need I go further Wedge? I'm baffled by your logic. :?: :?:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I mightn't be a fan of rudder playing for the team I love. But none the less. He is a knights player, so I hope he goes alright in england. The games played at a lower standard over there, so he should find it easier. I guarantee he will be a back rower over there. I'd say after this season, his 5/8 days are over.

Anonymous

Juniors
You can talk about wins with Rudder playing. You can talk about the stats.

Try watching the games, that is enough for me to form a very sound opinion of Sean's abilities as a footballer.

It isn’t a testimonial thread for him to keep to show the kids. And the bashing of people started on the "Rudder Bashers" not on Rudder. I feel it is only fair that in a Forum those that are being criticised gain the right of reply.

We all like him, he is a good bloke, and he is a Knight. We all thank him for his efforts regardless of whether or not we would have picked him in 1st grade.

Original_Chook said:
You have now degenerated Rudder's 'thank you' thread into a farce along with the help of Chook

That is neither true nor appropriate Wedge. I trust that you don't actually believe I intend to bring the topic to farcical levels.

If you would care to read my posts you should agree that I haven't bagged Rudder at all - all you're getting is my honest opinion.

But for all the criticism of Rudder over the years, flowing from my keyboard, I still can't fault his humilty and gutsiness. I have never had anything personally against him, I just didn't agree with the notion that he was the best 5/8 we had in the club

Look at what you wrote in his thank you thread. Some thank you, hey! LOL!

I say all the best to him - the Knights have benefited from his ability to play every week, and the English club will do likewise.

I've given the fellow quite a good wrap, but that doesn't mean that I should lie just to fit in with the obsequious nature of the topic.

That's a wrap, huh? You sit in front of a computer for years and bag him. He's never been the best option for the team.... oh, but all the best for next year, mate. No reasoning, nothing. Good thing you said you did it from your computer cause that'd be just about as far as you'd be able to take it.

If you still believe I'm trying to or have already degenerated this post by criticising Rudder then you're quite literally kidding yourself Wedge. I cannot understand why you're complaining about me beginning to put balanced opinion into my posts when it was you yourself who suggested that everyone was far to willing to congratulate Rudder in his last game even though his performance was not all that special (you said it yourself)

His game yesterday was nothing more or less than his average all year yet it's all of a sudden praise worthy? Was it just cause it was his last game here?

You talk about beginning to criticise Rudder when it was you yourself who brought reasoned criticism into the discussion - need I go further Wedge? I'm baffled by your logic. :?: :?:

That's about the game on Sunday. Where's the baffling logic? He was as good as he's been all year... yet the hype given to him got people to give him a wrap this week. Where was all this wrapping earlier in the year? It certainly wasn't coming from your keyboard. Not if this thread was a wrap from you.

Bring it home Knights wrote:
I dunno. I thought they would be, but now the way you're carrying on about wishart, I might be totally wrong

LOL! You had him as the second best winger (presuming you don't think he's better than Sailor) of the entire 1990s. Bit different from just filling in for Australia on the wing. Look, I'm all for replacing Hancock on the team of the 90s squad, but putting Rod Wishart there because "he can kick" isn't exactly worth the trouble.

mrford61

Juniors
As this whole thing has long since been about posters trying to out debate each other and may as well have involved a preference for baked beans or spaghetti as Rudder or Kidley, I have to say that the pro Rudder faction really are getting done over here. Give it away. Wedge you always take a difference to your opinion as an insult, shows insecurity and unravels you.
This is coming from a pro Rudder man who believes his service to the team as a UTILITY player ( including5/8 ) deserves better than this crap.