What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EF Sharks 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Well I'm sure we all enjoyed that, what a win! That was pure guts, determination and a desire to work for each other and win.

The first half went a lot like the rest of our season in that we were well and truly in the contest, created a bunch of opportunities but were clunky in attack and couldn't convert. We then had that 15 minutes of pressure on our own line where they defended exceptionally well only conceding the one try on the wing. From there the forwards muscled up and we took back control and Manu started to light them up but we still couldn't convert.

2nd half started well scoring that try and then what can only be described as Mayhem.... Sualli was pulled off the field early, Billy smith went off for a HIA and then Manu re-injured the hamstring. Just about the time Smith come back from HIA Teddy got binned. From there we had to play with a backline of Sandon Smith, Pauga, Wong, Crighton and Billy Smith. Only Pauga was in a position of familiarity and for the team to only concede the one try in the initial period of confusion after Teddy went off was a phenomenal effort and one that we will remember for a long time and one that will move this team forward in to next year.

After that period we started to dominate again and could have scored a couple of tries. Yeah the one try we did get had some luck but you make your own luck with effort throughout the game. The field goal was perfectly executed and then from there we held on for a famous victory.

Every single player in the 17 stood up that night, even the ones who had to leave the field with injuries. Anyone else as excited as me about the young group coming through? The difference between being a good first grader and an elite one is performing and executing under pressure in the big moments and there could be no more pressure than Saturday night given the circumstances. Walker, Wong, May, Billy Smith, Sandon Smith refused to yield in the moment and stood up wand maintained composure when it mattered.

I thought Radley had a crowning moment, he was tremendous all game. Non stop effort in defence and was damaging with the ball. Just got to add his ball playing ability to that effort and he will be the player we know he can be. To be fair to him he didn't have a lot of chance to do that in this game.

Siua Wong - What a talent! He is a player this kid and has well and truly arrived on the scene. There is a lot of SBW in him and he made some experienced sharks players look 2nd rate. He will blow some games open next year

Brandon Smith is coming along very nicely as well. He was also tireless both with and without the ball. After copping some (unfair) criticism he is really starting to find his feet at the club

3 Radley
2 Wong
1 Every other player that was out there

Storm next. No one will give us a chance but they will go in with plenty of belief. Storm will be pissed off with their effort against Brisbane and may well blitz us int he first 20 but if we hang in there you never know. Sualli will be out and Manu looks long odds I wonder if we throw Wong in to the centres and see what happens? No idea if Toops will be back or not.

H.H

Juniors
Yeah what a performance. Not great from a footy perspective but far out what a gutsy win...reminds me a little bit of the semi v Manly in '13 when we won 4 - 0.

Radley was absolutely immense. His best game since the '21 semi v the Titans I reckon...just looking alot more controlled with his temprament and his power through the middle was enormous...the ball playing finesse is slowly getting there too. Great signs.

Walker and Keary were actually pretty ordinary at times but they both came up with huge plays towards the death to help us win it.

3 - Radley
2 - Wong
1 - Collins

Tough to leave out cheese who was also outstanding. Wong proving to be the player I thiought he was, albeit alot earlier than I thought. What a super talent and find for our club.

This week will be tough - Billy Smith has a broken jaw just to add to the rest of the injuries. Fingers crossed for a miracle although playing Penrith in a prelim doesn't fill me with excitement.

Proud of the boys and all of that talk earlier in the season that Robbo had lost them etc can be pout to bed.

Toops is unavailable from what I’ve read so far. Leading up to the game, I was hoping Robbo would rest Manu. I had a bad feeling we’d get a repeat of last year when he pulled up lame against Souths. We’re gonna lose against Storm anyway so save him for Penrith in the off chance we jag a win, I say.

Again, we get treated differently by the merkin in the middle. Smith cops a shoulder to the jaw which has always been a sin bin if your name is Radley. Graham with a lazy shot on Suaalii isn’t even penalised and now both players are unavailable for our next game.

A credit to all the boys for their resolute defence only conceding after the opposition had a mountain of possession and a sin bin (WTF Teddy!) and the desperation shown to defuse those two FG attempts dispelling any myth of internal issues at our proud club.

Loving the progress Rads has shown these past couple of months. Lindsey again was impressive not only putting his body on the line in the in goal saving a certain try but cutting off an intercept as well making him my MOM. Wong and May were again impressive and their resigning is as important as Manu’s. Love him but happy to see Angus moved on to rugby if that’s what’s needed. Again, excellent effort from all our Smiths.

Stoked that we finished the season as well as we did. Whatever the rest of the season has in store for us I can take because we still knocked Souths out and made the finals in their place.

3. Lindsey
2. Rads
1. Wong

Valheru

Coach
Toops is unavailable from what I’ve read so far. Leading up to the game, I was hoping Robbo would rest Manu. I had a bad feeling we’d get a repeat of last year when he pulled up lame against Souths. We’re gonna lose against Storm anyway so save him for Penrith in the off chance we jag a win, I say.

Again, we get treated differently by the merkin in the middle. Smith cops a shoulder to the jaw which has always been a sin bin if your name is Radley. Graham with a lazy shot on Suaalii isn’t even penalised and now both players are unavailable for our next game.

A credit to all the boys for their resolute defence only conceding after the opposition had a mountain of possession and a sin bin (WTF Teddy!) and the desperation shown to defuse those two FG attempts dispelling any myth of internal issues at our proud club.

Loving the progress Rads has shown these past couple of months. Lindsey again was impressive not only putting his body on the line in the in goal saving a certain try but cutting off an intercept as well making him my MOM. Wong and May were again impressive and their resigning is as important as Manu’s. Love him but happy to see Angus moved on to rugby if that’s what’s needed. Again, excellent effort from all our Smiths.

Stoked that we finished the season as well as we did. Whatever the rest of the season has in store for us I can take because we still knocked Souths out and made the finals in their place.

3. Lindsey
2. Rads
1. Wong

Yeah it's not lost on me that we have 2 players out next week due to foul play and we got no compensation for that during the game. We got a penalty for one of them but that should have been a sin bin.

Speaking of the bloke in the middle, why do we not get 6 agains? Seriously look at the stats this season and we barely get any, we seem to get our share of long arm penalties but no 6 agains. The sole 6 again we got this game should have been a penalty as it was on our 30m line so they are even incompetent when they do give us one. That means that according to Sutton the sharks didn't slow down the ruck nor were they offside on any occassion outside of our own 40m area.

Yeah it's not lost on me that we have 2 players out next week due to foul play and we got no compensation for that during the game. We got a penalty for one of them but that should have been a sin bin.

Speaking of the bloke in the middle, why do we not get 6 agains? Seriously look at the stats this season and we barely get any, we seem to get our share of long arm penalties but no 6 agains. The sole 6 again we got this game should have been a penalty as it was on our 30m line so they are even incompetent when they do give us one. That means that according to Sutton the sharks didn't slow down the ruck nor were they offside on any occassion outside of our own 40m area.
I was wondering the same thing and was watching the game trying to figure out what triggers a six again and I deadset think the refs just forget sometimes as they’ve got other things to contend with. Remember when defenders having a hand on the ball in the ruck used to get pinged, is that not a thing anymore? Wade Graham does it nearly every tackle. I thought he missed a few things that went against Cronulla as well but the repeat sets imbalance remains a mystery for me. Loved the irony of them having a try disallowed similar to what happened to us the last time we met.

Valheru

Coach
I was wondering the same thing and was watching the game trying to figure out what triggers a six again and I deadset think the refs just forget sometimes as they’ve got other things to contend with. Remember when defenders having a hand on the ball in the ruck used to get pinged, is that not a thing anymore? Wade Graham does it nearly every tackle. I thought he missed a few things that went against Cronulla as well but the repeat sets imbalance remains a mystery for me. Loved the irony of them having a try disallowed similar to what happened to us the last time we met.
So I decided to have a bit of a look in to this to see if I was imagining things or not. Stats are from our last 10 games dating back to the First Manly clash and are courtesy of NRL Website

Long arm penalty count in that span is 59-77 in favour of our opponents. That is a pretty big discrepancy however in the 2nd Manly game we lost the count 6-15 so take that out and the other 9 games are 53-62 so only a difference of 1 per game there.

Now this is where things get wild. In regards to set restarts for negative play, combining both offside and ruck infringement the count is 14-37 against us in those ten games. Unbelievably we received 6 in the 2nd game against Manly so taking that game out we are 8-30 over the other nine games, that is completely ludicrous. In three of the games we received 0 and and only the 1 in a further four games.

Breakdown of that is 4-12 for offside's and 10-25 for ruck infringements. Taking that 2nd Manly game out for ruck infringements changes the stat to 5-21 over the other nine games

H.H

Juniors
Yeah as I've always said, it's not the penalties we concede, but rather those we don't receive and it's obviously now applying to set re-starts.

Latest posts