What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington SHOULD be the next NRL team.

Moa? They were actually hunted to extinction by the warriors no? Add this to the fact they are histories only known wingless bird, indicating their recent ancestors were also less than useless, and you have one terrible name for a rugby league side.

Should wellington have a team? Well, as discussed it would need to be a team for all nz outside the north counties + aukland. The idea of a city of 300 odd k having 3 fully professional sporting teams in 3 different football codes is beyond absurd in $$$ terms

smithie

Juniors
Wellington home for historic match

Wellington’s Westpac Stadium is to become the Vodafone Warriors’ first genuine home away from home after being confirmed today as the venue for the club’s blockbuster ninth-round NRL clash against Canterbury-Bankstown on Saturday, May 11 next year (NYC: 5.15pm kick-off; NRL: 7.30pm kick-off).

While the Vodafone Warriors took designated home games to Eden Park in 2011 and 2012 – and will do so again next year – this match will be the first time in 221 games across 19 seasons that the club will play a home game outside Auckland.

When the draw was announced last month, Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah revealed the club would play one of its 12 regular season home games elsewhere in New Zealand or possibly in Australia.

“It’s hugely exciting for us and fitting as well that this landmark event in our history will take place in the nation’s capital and at one of the best venues in New Zealand,” he said.

“We know there’s big interest in the Vodafone Warriors and rugby league not only in and around Wellington but in the surrounding regions like Taranaki, Manawatu, Horowhenua, Wanganui, Wairarapa and Hawke’s Bay as well as Nelson and Marlborough across the Cook Strait.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity for another part of the country to see the Vodafone Warriors take on last year’s beaten grand finalists as well as the early game between the two NYC teams.

“It’s going to be a massive night and we’re looking for a huge crowd to create a fantastic home ground atmosphere for us.

“We really appreciate the support and interest we’ve already had from the city of Wellington and have some unique and exciting ideas for the event as a whole. We’ll be making a series of announcements about these in the coming weeks.”

Confirmation of the match is set to mark a special homecoming for Wellington-born and bred Vodafone Warriors prop Ben Matulino while captain Simon Mannering was living in Wellington when he was signed by the Vodafone Warriors. Hooker Alehana Mara is another Wellington product in the club’s NRL squad.

Wellington Regional Stadium Trust chief executive David Gray was confident having the Vodafone Warriors in the capital would generate unprecedented levels of anticipation for rugby league.

“There has always been a real appetite here for the Vodafone Warriors and the NRL as a whole,” he said.

“This takes it to a new level because, for the first time, we’re in partnership with the club to market this as a home game whereas in the past they’ve been the visiting side.

“This is another great opportunity to market both our stadium and the city at a time when Wellington is absolutely on the world map as the ‘middle of Middle-earth’ following the release of The Hobbit. There’s much to offer here.”

The decision to play a home match outside Auckland for the first time is in line with the NRL’s desire to have games taken away from traditional home grounds.

“We already had games scheduled in Cairns, Mudgee, Mackay, Perth and Darwin and now we can add Wellington,” said NRL director commercial and marketing Paul Kind.

“We’ve been working with the Vodafone Warriors on this initiative and see it as another great step forward for the game. It’s important to promote the NRL in as many areas as we can and we know Wellington will get right in behind an event that will hopefully be the first of more to follow.”

New Vodafone Warriors head coach Matt Elliott said he certainly looked forward to returning to Wellington for what will be his second experience at Westpac Stadium as the nominated home coach.

“I was there with Canberra in 2003 when we took our game to Wellington to take on the Vodafone Warriors,” he said.

“I have great memories of the visit, too. We spent quite a few days there and I’ve never forgotten how well the people in Wellington looked after us. They were awesome then so it’s going to be terrific going back this time with us being the home team there for the first time.”

In his first visit to Wellington, Elliott’s Raiders beat the Vodafone Warriors 18-10. Ruben Wiki, now reunited with Elliott as the club’s strength and conditioning coach, scored the critical try that night. Wiki had Kiwi company in the side in the shape of Jamahl Lolesi and ex-Vodafone Warrior Tyran Smith but the New Zealand component is much stronger in the 2013 Canterbury-Bankstown squad.

The Bulldogs boast current Kiwis Sam Perrett, Krisnan Inu, Sam Kasiano, Frank Pritchard and Greg Eastwood plus ex-Kiwi Dene Halatau and former Junior Kiwis Martin Taupau and Drury Low.

Of the Vodafone Warriors’ current squad, Matulino (23) was educated at St Bernard’s College in Lower Hutt and played his junior football for the Te Aroha Eels, the Randwick Kingfishers and the Wellington Orcas before moving to Auckland. As well as playing his 100th NRL match for the Vodafone Warriors this year, Matulino has already appeared in 13 Tests for the Kiwis. Mara (23) was educated at St Patrick’s College and played his junior football for the St George Dragons and the Orcas before signing with the Vodafone Warriors. Nelson-raised Mannering (26) also played for the Orcas during his time in Wellington.

• Saturday, May 11, 2013
NRL: Vodafone Warriors v Canterbury-Bankstown, Westpac
Stadium, Wellington, 7.30pm
NYC: Vodafone Junior Warriors v Canterbury-Bankstown, Westpac
Stadium, 5.15pm

http://www.thewarriors.com.au/news-display/Wellington-home-for-historic-match/66624

IowaRL

Juniors
If you keep the Warriors as NZ, why not Aotearoa (insert animal here)? I love the Green, black and White, we are going with that scheme here in Iowa, with an emerald green, black as a secondary color and a little bit of white.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Will take plenty of ground work, this is a start but they most persist over time and the authorities ARLC/NZRL/NRL make a visible long term commitment to the region. Annual games, coaching clinics, internationals, pre season games over multiple seasons and on top of that a proper visible bid from the grass roots up which is not just whispers in the wind or a foot note in expansion articles in the daily telegraph.

I can see it happening but in terms of timing its 5-10 years away, closer to 10 really unless theres a sudden and large shift to focus on expansion

flippikat

Bench
FANTASTIC! I'm there :) May even take my little boy to his first top game of footy too..

Great stuff Warriors, and hopefully this gets the Wellington bid back up on it's feet again.

Diesel

Referee
Cake Tin should get 30K+ plus easy if the Bulldogs and Warriors are both playing good footy and all the Kiwis in the Dogs side are on show

sheepbender

Juniors
Until the Warriors win a premiership and are more consistant, I cant see a 2nd NZ team being brought in. I know it shouldnt matter that the Warriors win a prem, but until the Warriors have success, I cant see the NRL justifying a 2nd team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Until the Warriors win a premiership and are more consistant, I cant see a 2nd NZ team being brought in. I know it shouldnt matter that the Warriors win a prem, but until the Warriors have success, I cant see the NRL justifying a 2nd team.

Why? When you consider the number of kiwis in Australian clubs there are clearly enough
NZ players to have two competitive teams. Maybe they should dismiss the Bears bid until the Sharks win a premiership?

Is there anyone in New Zealand even making noises about an NRL bid?

A second team from NZ is really essential for the long term growth of the code.

An organised bid could give Q4 a run for their money IMO.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Can someone give me an idea of the strength of junior/grade footy in the wellington region. Is there enough talented stock there that they will be a developing club immediately or will it take time?

Would like to see Welllington locked in for annual fixtures as Perth is getting now, that would demonstrate a clear commitment to the region.

paulmac

Juniors
This may sound crazy but I think the NZ Warriors should move to the nations capital and play home games everywhere in NZ bar Auckland, and the NRL should admit the Auckland Vulcans.

docbrown

Coach
This may sound crazy but I think the NZ Warriors should move to the nations capital and play home games everywhere in NZ bar Auckland, and the NRL should admit the Auckland Vulcans.

Some people do associate the Warriors with being an Auckland team though.

If they're both called New Zealand then they can market themselves nationally and offer people a choice of affiliation. Similar with a 2nd Brisbane team - you want to split the population 50/50.

There's an Auckland/anti-Auckland and North/South rivalry to build upon.

flippikat

Bench
Hopefully we get a good crowd tonight to Warriors v Bulldogs - last I heard there was 18,000 pre-sold tickets. The rain has cleared away, so it'll just be a little cold - which might help the walk-up numbers.

If we can get 30,000 or more to the game it might just turn a few heads in Australia - even without a formal bid it could result in other clubs bringing the odd home game to Wellington.

A few games a season like Perth or Gosford would do well to further guage interest here & see if a team of our own is worth serious consideration.

Does anyone know if any NRL executives or commissioners will be in attendance tonight?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's looking good for 25k+ from what I have heard. At the very least Warriors should be scheduling 2-3 games a year at Wellington and offering a Wellington membership (even if it is "away" games that clubs agree to transfer there against the Warriors)

I am frustrated that the NRL has still shown no direction or leadership in sorting out strategic on the road scheduling for NRL games. We were promised three games in Perth this year by the NRL last year and looks like we will end up with just one. The credibility of the game with the WA Govt could once again get seriously screwed here in WA. They committed to nib development on the belief that there would be a NRL team in perth to be a third tennant, they were then told that at least 3 games would be played there until a Perth team was admitted, the Wa Govt must wonder about the ARLC.
The NRL needs to make it irrestible for clubs not to take games on the road and needs to get a commitment for it to be ongoing not just at a whim. They should set the agenda, where, when and who not leave it to the clubs to try and get a deal to make it viable.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I am frustrated that the NRL has still shown no direction or leadership in sorting out strategic on the road scheduling for NRL games. We were promised three games in Perth this year by the NRL last year and looks like we will end up with just one. The credibility of the game with the WA Govt could once again get seriously screwed here in WA. They committed to nib development on the belief that there would be a NRL team in perth to be a third tennant, they were then told that at least 3 games would be played there until a Perth team was admitted, the Wa Govt must wonder about the ARLC.
The NRL needs to make it irresistible for clubs not to take games on the road and needs to get a commitment for it to be ongoing not just at a whim. They should set the agenda, where, when and who not leave it to the clubs to try and get a deal to make it viable.

You have to understand that it is not as simple as offering large amounts of money to the clubs and they'll go. The clubs risk a lot by taking home games away and there is a lot to consider before they do it, for example sponsorship deals, fans opinions, local media hype, etc.

The clubs need to be getting something they desperately need in exchange for taking such a risk, and that is not always money or something that the ARLC can easily provide.

Take the Raiders this year, the ARLC comes to them and says please take a game to Perth, the Raiders say sure on one condition, the game must have live free to air coverage because we need more publicity then one free to air game a year and we are struggling to keep our sponsors because of this lack of publicity.

Then Nine says no and you know the end of the story.

My point is that you are trying to make out that a complicated thing is simple.

They committed to nib development on the belief that there would be a NRL team in perth to be a third tennant,

Yeah and there will be, so how does this hurt anybody?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I do appreciate that but as someone who wants to see our great game grow I think the NRL needs to take a lead and tell the clubs that it is part and parcel of the deal and responsibility of being an NRL club not just an optional extra to their activities. You want $7mill grant then take 1-2 games to A, B or C every year. I'd be happy to see additional grant funding on top of the $7mill to those clubs that show that committment.

You probably don't realise how big a deal it is for the game in places like Hobart, Perth, Adelaide or Darwin to get an NRL game. The media is massive leading up to it, the clubs engage with the communities and schools and hopefully the state RL body gets some financial benefits (Souths give the WARL a bay at the stadium to sell tickets for and keep the proceeds). Given the very small amount of ARL funding the developing States get this is crucuial funding for growth.

Nothing worth doing is easy!

flippikat

Bench
I do appreciate that but as someone who wants to see our great game grow I think the NRL needs to take a lead and tell the clubs that it is part and parcel of the deal and responsibility of being an NRL club not just an optional extra to their activities. You want $7mill grant then take 1-2 games to A, B or C every year. I'd be happy to see additional grant funding on top of the $7mill to those clubs that show that committment.

You've got it.

This should be hand-in-hand with expansion planning.. at the moment we know that Wellington can get a great crowd to a game if we have 1 game in a season.

If we get a similar turnout next year, surely there's a good reason to have 2 or 3 games in Wellington a season - see if people will go to multiple games per season. Test the waters a little more.

Sure it's hard to extrapolate that crowd to a full 12 home games, but all we know at the moment is that one game a year is a success.

Why not try a couple more instead of jumping at an expansion team? Then we can consider the merits of a Wellington NRL side.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I do appreciate that but as someone who wants to see our great game growI think the NRL needs to take a lead and tell the clubs that it is part and parcel of the deal and responsibility of being an NRL club not just an optional extra to their activities. You want $7mill grant then take 1-2 games to A, B or C every year. I'd be happy to see additional grant funding on top of the $7mill to those clubs that show that committment.

You probably don't realise how big a deal it is for the game in places like Hobart, Perth, Adelaide or Darwin to get an NRL game. The media is massive leading up to it, the clubs engage with the communities and schools and hopefully the state RL body gets some financial benefits (Souths give the WARL a bay at the stadium to sell tickets for and keep the proceeds). Given the very small amount of ARL funding the developing States get this is crucuial funding for growth.

Nothing worth doing is easy!

Don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with you, in fact for the most part I agree with you and I would be very happy to see the Raiders take a game or two away to a place that doesn't get many (preferably a place like Adelaide or Hobart that hasn't held any games for a long time or even at all), but I think you have things a little askew.

I think the NRL needs to take a lead and tell the clubs that it is part and parcel of the deal and responsibility of being an NRL club not just an optional extra to their activities.

This is where I think you are a little off, taking home games away should never be forced, encouraged yes, but never forced.

When the clubs signed on to become NRL/NSWRL/ARL clubs they signed on to represent a certain area and they must always hold that areas interests first and foremost, if that means that they don't want to take any of their home games away, whatever their reasons that must be respected.

For some clubs it is not as sensible for them to be taking games away as it is for others, as I explained with the Raiders before there was nothing in it for us but likely loses, so to force those loses on us would have been stupid and damaging.

Also in another frame of thought, do we really want to be taking games away from one club cites? Do we really want the Storm for example to be forced to take a couple of games away from Melbourne and in the process take away most of the minimal coverage that RL would have got in Melbourne for the weeks that games were taken away!?

I really don't think you have thought through all the implications of what you are suggesting enough.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think 10 home games should be enough, taking two on the road should not be that big an impact in the grand scheme of things (and may actually encourage people to attend games if there is less opportunity to do so). In the ideal model clubs would adopt a second city and have links in many different ways with the game in that city/state. For clubs like Canberra and Melbourne it opens up another market for members and Jnr's. ultimately though where we differ is I believe in the greater good for the game and you believe in the clubs greater good being the priority. I respect your opinion but don't agree with it.