What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
been thinking about how we strengthen our NRL bid and also develop our SG ball side and think of the future. The ARLC have regularly said that they don;t want to see the NRL weakend by expansion and we have to have more players before we can expand. Now there is a country just off our coast that has 1000's of Jnr RL players. Instead of looking to NZ and the East coast to bolster or SG ball side maybe we should be partnering with PNGRL? They have an elite academy and strong schoolboys set up, if the WARL and PNGRL came together then the best of the best in their set up could come and experience SG Ball for the WC pirates. So whats in it for each party?
For WARL
Access to 1000's of jnr players
Eases NRL fears of WA watering down the comp when expansion happens
Pirates open up a massive potential fanbase in PNG
For PNGRL
Gives the best PNG lads a shop window for NRL clubs and a RL career pathway
Pirates agree to play 1 trial and 1 NRL game in PNG when we enter the NRL
PNGRL get logo on our shorts promoting them as an organisation
Regular NRL games in PNG may get them a stadium built and lead to an NRL team of their own in years to come
For ARLC
Increases player pool for NRL
Strengthens Int game to have more Kumuls playing in the NRL
Eases conserns of watering down the talent pool

We have pretty much chosen the PNG colours as the colurs of the WC Pirates so another obvious brand link in there.

juro

Bench
Don't see any connection between PNG and the Pirates (apart from the colours). Really, those benefits are good, but could be obtained by any other expansion team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
True but we have a need for access to more jnrs in WA and if the next expansion can kill 4 birds with two stones then it should be something we aim to do. Also the mining in WA and PNG is same companies, I can see PNG players enjoying living in Perth, we can link them to education and training that if they don't make an NRL career can help them get good jobs back in PNG etc.

Brothers - SW Brisbane + Darwin/NT
Pirates - WA + PNG

seems a win win for everyone

dimitri

First Grade
true but we have a need for access to more jnrs in wa and if the next expansion can kill 4 birds with two stones then it should be something we aim to do. Also the mining in wa and png is same companies, i can see png players enjoying living in perth, we can link them to education and training that if they don't make an nrl career can help them get good jobs back in png etc.

Brothers - sw brisbane + darwin/nt
pirates - wa + png

seems a win win for everyone

nice

Perth Red

Post Whore
For those who may not realise how long RL has been played in Perth here is a little snippet of history from the game here:

247064_10152247073034057_1433433571_n.jpg

simostorm

Bench
Perth Pirates will be a certainty. Another Brisbane team will be a certainty.

Its all in the pipework. Its common sense really.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I've heard a rumour the Tigers may demerge. The Magpies will get the license and take it to Perth.

Perth Magpies? West Coast Magpies? WA Magpies?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I've heard a rumour the Tigers may demerge. The Magpies will get the license and take it to Perth.

Perth Magpies? West Coast Magpies? WA Magpies?

Did you get it from my post in the Tigers forum you dickwad?

This has as much chance of happening as you having unpaid sex with a woman in the next 12 months.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Did you get it from my post in the Tigers forum you dickwad?

This has as much chance of happening as you having unpaid sex with a woman in the next 12 months.
Well tell me whats stopping a demerger? Of the two sides it seems only Wests is keeping its head above water. If they forced a demerge theyd be the ones that get the license, especially if they comitted to taking the license to WA. The NRL will give any team millions to move.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Well tell me whats stopping a demerger? Of the two sides it seems only Wests is keeping its head above water. If they forced a demerge theyd be the ones that get the license, especially if they comitted to taking the license to WA. The NRL will give any team millions to move.

So to remove themselves from the joint venture which one day may see the current team play all their games in Campbelltown, they would move the team over to Perth.

What benefit do the Wests clubs in Sydney get out of this?

Also, the NRL won't like leaving that big gap in Western Sydney, never mind Tens of thousands of fans that have averaged the second best crowds in Sydney over the past 10 years for the AFL to exploit.

BunniesMan

Immortal
What gap? There are 3 other western sydney teams.

And let me make it clear, I'm not saying I want this to happen. Just that I can see it happening.

BuffaloRules

Coach
What gap? There are 3 other western sydney teams.

And let me make it clear, I'm not saying I want this to happen. Just that I can see it happening.

Campbelltown and surrounds, let alone innercity ex Balmain fans.

The Second best supported club in Sydney is not going anywhere.