What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Marlins

Juniors
I think if you guaranteed 6 or 8 games at SFS each year they would learn to live with it.
The Warriors struggle with travel now how could easts manage to be based in NZ and still play 6-8 games at SFS.
Like maybe if teams like sharks, dragons and rabbits played home games against easts there but still that's only three and your still taking Australia's oldest RL club away. I just don't think it would work. I really think relocation won't work if the NRL want less Sydney teams in the top flight I think they should be put back to the NSW cup at least the team still exists as it is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dont get this travel issue. The super15 clubs travel a lot more than NRL clubs, as does every club in Perth.

Marlins

Juniors
Dont get this travel issue. The super15 clubs travel a lot more than NRL clubs, as does every club in Perth.
1. They Union teams don't play as many games in a year as league teams.
2. Teams like Cowboys n warriors struggle with travel unlike the Sydney teams because the Sydney teams bus to 8 away games a year and meaning they only have to fly and stay in hotels for 6 games a year compared to the clubs out of NSW who travel for 12
What part of that does not make sense to you PR.

Marlins

Juniors
The union also take break through the year for internationals which helps instead the NRL put a origin series in the middle and still make the clubs play during the period

T-Boon

Coach
Having a city to themselves would compensate for the costs involved plus some.
I wouldn't suggest going about it the way the NRL has gone about expansion in the past (sink or swim on your own) I would be saying support from the top would be totally essential. Additional funding, salary cap advantages etc. Have a Test matches and an Origin match in Wellington in their debut years to wet the whisker. Give them a favourable time slot on nine and Fox for crowds etc.
These are things that other clubs would rally against but somehow other codes manage to get the interested parties puling in the same direction.

Diesel

Referee
I'd move the Roosters to Wellington, Panthers to Perth, Sharks to Adelaide and Tigers to Brisbane and create a brand new Sydney team based out of the SFS aimed to have a broader appeal than the Rooster. But I would have all of these historic sydney teams in a Sydney conference so that they play each other twice every year (and the other non Sydney teams once).
Reminds me of the reduction of clubs after SL and one suggestion was to merge Easts, Souths, Norths & Balmain and call the club Sydney Traditional.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Teams like Cowboys n warriors struggle with travel unlike the Sydney teams because the Sydney teams bus to 8 away games a year and meaning they only have to fly and stay in hotels for 6 games a year compared to the clubs out of NSW who travel for 12
What part of that does not make sense to you PR.

Aren't you arguing for an international sub-division in the other thread? Imagine the effects on travellong to and from Port Moresby, Perth and NZ with regularity

siv

First Grade
I suspect if Easts went to NZ the SFS would make it attractive for Souths to return to the SFS

alien

Referee
Reminds me of the reduction of clubs after SL and one suggestion was to merge Easts, Souths, Norths & Balmain and call the club Sydney Traditional.

A couple of other suggestions were Sydney Bombers and Sydney Foundation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If only the King were in charge of the NRL!

King Wally Lewis has this morning told Marto & Ed Kavalee if the NRL want to refer to themselves as 'National', they need to spend more time 'planning for the future', and should look at building a side out of Perth.

"I think we are going to see a second Brisbane team there is no doubt about that," he said.

"I also think it’s very important for the National Rugby League that if they are calling themselves the National Rugby League that they’ve got to spend a little bit more time planning for the future and I definitely think we’ve got to see a side based in Perth."

"I probably think that may even come before we see a second Brisbane team.”

http://www.triplem.com.au/brisbane/sport/nrl/news/2016/9/wally-lewis-on-second-brisbane-team/

j5o6hn

Juniors
The NRL planning! surely you jest, they have to ask Gould what he thinks before they do anything and as far as I know Gould is against it, deep thinking is not a trait the NRL house indulges in.
Next week is about as far ahead as the NRL manage and they mess that up more often than not,whether the NRL like it or not to be more competitive in Australia they need to expand Brisbane and Perth.
And please don't send us Eastern Suburbs they were a bunch of ignorant pricks last time we saw them in Perth and as far as I know they will never be asked back

Marlins

Juniors
The king also talks about a relegation system and 2nd tier Comp consisting of Qld cup & nsw cup sides which of course I think is a great idea.
Bring in the west coast pirates, western corridor jets and a 2nd tier Comp.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Cronk, Thurston call for Perth NRL team

Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk believe Perth is ripe for NRL expansion.

The NRL has been cultivating Western Australia for a number of seasons, drip feeding games to rugby league fans far away from its heartland in NSW and Queensland.

But ahead of the first ever rugby league Test in Perth on Saturday between Australia and New Zealand, Kangaroos stars Thurston and Cronk want to see the NRL move on expansion.

Cronk has helped to spearhead the Melbourne Storm's emergence as a rugby league bulkhead in AFL-mad Victoria and said the club's success can be reproduced in Western Australia.

"For us to be a truly national game you need to broaden the horizons and be spread across the country," Cronk said.

"We need to get more spectators, we need to get more kids playing the game, we need to get more females watching it and the way you do that is you take it to new markets and Perth is at the forefront of that.

"Melbourne had an influx of internationals and Origin games and rugby league's popularity has increased dramatically in my time there.

"I am sure it can be the same blueprint for Perth."

Thurston is also keen to see the NRL move to open up new markets.

"Personally I would love to see a team playing out of Perth," he said.

"The NRL has brought club games to Perth over the last few years and you can see by the crowds at the ground they certainly love their rugby league over here.

"It is a good time for rugby league here with the Test match and Origin coming.

"Hopefully we will see a team here soon."

The NRL has remained conservative on its expansion policies since the Super League war ended in 1998. The Western Reds, later named the Perth Reds, played in the top flight from 1992 to 1997 and were a casualty of the time.

The new Perth Stadium will host an Origin game in 2019, indicating the game's governing body continues to see the west as a genuine market.

The West Coast Pirates were formed in 2012 with the intention of joining the NRL but are currently in limbo.

Cronk said he understood that the NRL had to take a measured approach to expanding the competition beyond 16 teams.

"From a purist rugby league point of view I think there should be a team here in Perth but as to how and when that happens is beyond me," he said.

"I don't have the metrics and the numbers as to whether it is feasible or not at the moment.

"But as players we have a greater responsibility than just playing the game, we have to help expand the game."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/10/cronk-thurston-call-perth-nrl-team

Never should have been kicked out in the first place.