What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth will be a Rugby League World Cup host city for the first time when sporting powerhouses England and France, along with two other European qualifiers, descend on nib Stadium for a double-header clash next year.
Acting Premier and Tourism Minister Liza Harvey said the Liberal National Government's successful bid for the two pool matches reinforced Western Australia's growing reputation as a world-class events destination.
"The Rugby League World Cup will be jointly hosted by Australia and New Zealand in 2017, so securing these two important matches in Perth is a real coup for our State," Mrs Harvey said.
"We expect a fantastic atmosphere as rugby league fans and ex-pats get behind the teams, while international media coverage will put Perth firmly on the map for viewers and potential visitors."
The State Government's successful Rugby League World Cup bid, through Tourism Western Australia and VenuesWest, builds on WA's growing rugby league presence.
The second of two NRL Premiership fixtures was played last weekend at nib Stadium, which is also the venue for Perth's first international rugby league test between Australia and New Zealand on October 15 this year.
Last week, the State Government announced it had secured Australia's biggest sporting event - game two of the New South Wales versus Queensland State of Origin series - for the Perth Stadium in 2019.

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov....gby-League-World-Cup-to-make-Perth-debut.aspx

Marlins

Juniors
Perth will be a Rugby League World Cup host city for the first time when sporting powerhouses England and France, along with two other European qualifiers, descend on nib Stadium for a double-header clash next year.
Acting Premier and Tourism Minister Liza Harvey said the Liberal National Government's successful bid for the two pool matches reinforced Western Australia's growing reputation as a world-class events destination.
"The Rugby League World Cup will be jointly hosted by Australia and New Zealand in 2017, so securing these two important matches in Perth is a real coup for our State," Mrs Harvey said.
"We expect a fantastic atmosphere as rugby league fans and ex-pats get behind the teams, while international media coverage will put Perth firmly on the map for viewers and potential visitors."
The State Government's successful Rugby League World Cup bid, through Tourism Western Australia and VenuesWest, builds on WA's growing rugby league presence.
The second of two NRL Premiership fixtures was played last weekend at nib Stadium, which is also the venue for Perth's first international rugby league test between Australia and New Zealand on October 15 this year.
Last week, the State Government announced it had secured Australia's biggest sporting event - game two of the New South Wales versus Queensland State of Origin series - for the Perth Stadium in 2019.

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov....gby-League-World-Cup-to-make-Perth-debut.aspx

Marlins

Juniors
Maybe the only way Perth could ever get a NRL side is if they just throw a huge amount of money towards it. That's all the NRL is interested in is $$$$

Marlins

Juniors
Still this is good news for Perth and WA finally you guys are getting some footy played over there. NRL games each year, test match, Origin, WC games there's still hope yet :)

siv

First Grade
2nd Tier teams should be be funded $500k from NRL grants

Plus compensation for locations like Perth and Adelaide of $250k for travel costs

But for NZ teams we should setup a NZ Cup funded in a similar manner

The Great Dane

First Grade
There was a piece in Rugby League Week by Blocker Roach about how he thinks the Tigers should relocate to Perth, it was a pretty well thought out piece to.

Personally I prefer relocations that include a total re-brand (as the Tigers brand means bugger all to the vast majority of the people of Perth, there by removing most of the benefits of maintaining that brand at the NRL level), but apart from that it obviously makes sense.

Also it was good to see someone offer up their own club for relocation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given they are run by two Sydney leagues clubs what do you think will make them agree to a relocation? NRL has no power so why would a club like Tigers voluntarily move? The answer is they won't. All speculation like this does is pee off the Tigers fanbase and build false hope for Perth RL fans.

Flapper

First Grade
There was a piece in Rugby League Week by Blocker Roach about how he thinks the Tigers should relocate to Perth, it was a pretty well thought out piece to.

Personally I prefer relocations that include a total re-brand (as the Tigers brand means bugger all to the vast majority of the people of Perth, there by removing most of the benefits of maintaining that brand at the NRL level), but apart from that it obviously makes sense.

I think the Tigers brand is strong enough in itself in RL to hold its lustre with a relocation.

I'd be fine with it as a Tigers fan for what it's worth, whether as a Wests Tigers relocation or a demerger where "Balmain" goes to Perth.

Pommy

Coach
I think the Tigers brand is strong enough in itself in RL to hold its lustre with a relocation.

I'd be fine with it as a Tigers fan for what it's worth, whether as a Wests Tigers relocation or a demerger where "Balmain" goes to Perth.

If it was a demerger it would be a 17th side and in that case it's probably just easier for them to start fresh.

Flapper

First Grade
If it was a demerger it would be a 17th side and in that case it's probably just easier for them to start fresh.

Probably so, unless there's an option for a potential Perth team bid that isn't NRL WA that values a bit of RL currency in their new team. I don't care how it happens really, as long as it eventually happens.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Given they are run by two Sydney leagues clubs what do you think will make them agree to a relocation? NRL has no power so why would a club like Tigers voluntarily move? The answer is they won't. All speculation like this does is pee off the Tigers fanbase and build false hope for Perth RL fans.

Actually there seems to be a bit more to it then just a random piece in Rugby League Week.

Seems like it's starting to be discussed at the Tigers in an informal manner and that Blocker was trying to get some feedback from the public about the idea, sure it'll probably amount to nothing but there're many reasons why the Tigers (or a few of the other Sydney clubs) might voluntarily move to Perth.
For example there's more money to be made in Perth then there is in their little part of Sydney, they're one of the clubs that're currently struggling to compete for fans in Sydney, less competition of sponsors, etc, etc, basically there's less competition in Perths' sports market (particularly in the RL market) then there is in Sydneys'.

If it was being made purely as a business decision then they'd move today, obviously that isn't the case, but it can't be a bad thing that they're discussing it, even if it's informally.

j5o6hn

Juniors
So what are you going to do out Campbelltown way just leave it open to the AFL,interesting to hear what you think about that, if you want to shift anything shift Eastern Suburbs

Reactions: siv

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

If the brand means nothing to them then it will make no difference whether they take that of a new one.

The value in maintaining the brand is in Sydney, not just to please on Balmain fans but all NRL fans. The team your side is playing against matters probably more than just getting to see your own side. We care about the the clash; its why SOuths fans go on mass to their game against the Bulldogs but will not turn up for the match against the Titans.

I dont expect an older brand to help in the new region (but i doubt it would hurt either) and it would add more value to the comp more generally.

(Plus, if they are given a heritage brand, i reckon they are less likely to f*ck around and change jumpers every few months...)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So what are you going to do out Campbelltown way just leave it open to the AFL,interesting to hear what you think about that, if you want to shift anything shift Eastern Suburbs

Ahh, the old "VFL is coming to get us" line...

I still think the Panthers are the better team to have there (a Panthers-Wests merge should have been the go after SL).

Campbeltown might only get 1 or 2 games, but thatll be true in the future too even if WTs stay.

For the people living in Campbeltown,they just need to accept that they live in an outer suburb and that they cant expect an NRL team on their door step. In terms of junior development, we dont need a team for that anyway.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

One of those is purely honorary...

If Wests decide to sell, the ARLC could demand the right to buy it, then sell off the licence after they are settled.

And even if Wests dont sell, they will see a pretty decent opportunity in Perth anyway.

T-Boon

Coach

Everybody has a price.
I think the idea is right but the Tigers are the wrong team. I would go with the Panthers as you could just call them the Western Panthers and they keep a link to Penrith.
I would pitch it this way: if you take 8 Western Panthers home games to Perth we will give you an extra $1.5mil a year in grant money and you can use $1mil of that in extra salary cap space. We will also guarantee you 5 Penrith home games a year for the next 15 years.

alien

Referee

it won't happen but if it did they'd probably bring in the Brisbane Bombers too as an 18th club

alien

Referee
For the people living in Campbeltown,they just need to accept that they live in an outer suburb and that they cant expect an NRL team on their door step. In terms of junior development, we dont need a team for that anyway.

an outer suburb aye? if it's ok for Penrith to have their own full-time team, then so should the Liverpool-Macarthur area.

Latest posts