What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
2 is my pick. I think the Nrl took over rl in WA to make sure it’s on the same path as the rest of the Nrl. I’m sure like the Nrl did with the titans and knights that over time the Nrl will distance themselves from WARL. Restructure the Warl to something like nswrl/qrl. I think the Perth bid team would/should be independant to Warl and the Nrl obviously. Nrl need to look after Nrl, Warl need to look after grassroots/comps and Perth bid team need to look after themselves while all liasing with each other. I just wish this could all happen in the next 2/3 yrs.

Nope, never going to happen. Now NRL has ownership of the "affiliate" states they wont be letting them be independent again. If NSWRL and QRL weren't so powerful they would have absorbed them as well by now. The NRL would ideally like to run the whole show in every State imo.

Which way a new Perth club goes in terms of ownership is hard to say. NRL may want to control or part control a new club to ensure initial sustainability, they wont want another GC. Then again if there was a strong enough group or individual who wanted to own it they may hand it over and not run the risk of being seen as playing favourites in giving the expansion club preferential treatment.

Vee

First Grade
Not necessarily. As said the Pirates brand is owned by the NRL. If there was going to be a Perth expansion team admitted I can see one of 3 options:
1. NRL owned/joint owned for first few years in which case it would be Pirtaes
2. NRL give the Pirates brand over to an independent group who want to run a new Perth club
3. A group decide to bid, and win, with a different brand for the new club

The NRL take over of the WARL has muddied the waters about how an NRL new club bid would work and who would own it.
The Western Reds was such a good brand, a major missed opportunity dumping that one.

latingringo101

Juniors
Nope, never going to happen. Now NRL has ownership of the "affiliate" states they wont be letting them be independent again. If NSWRL and QRL weren't so powerful they would have absorbed them as well by now. The NRL would ideally like to run the whole show in every State imo.

Which way a new Perth club goes in terms of ownership is hard to say. NRL may want to control or part control a new club to ensure initial sustainability, they wont want another GC. Then again if there was a strong enough group or individual who wanted to own it they may hand it over and not run the risk of being seen as playing favourites in giving the expansion club preferential treatment.
The NRL should do what the A league did 7 years ago with wsw.

They got rid of a failed club (GC), saw there was an obvious market for a new team (Wanderers) and fast tracked them into the top league with a slightly above salary cap and run by the FFA until they could find a good owner.

Yes they're testing the waters with Perth but I think it's obvious a team there would be more than welcome

Marlins

Juniors
The NRL should do what the A league did 7 years ago with wsw.

They got rid of a failed club (GC), saw there was an obvious market for a new team (Wanderers) and fast tracked them into the top league with a slightly above salary cap and run by the FFA until they could find a good owner.

Yes they're testing the waters with Perth but I think it's obvious a team there would be more than welcome

Yeah I do agree.
Dump a Sydney club and Fast track the Pirates.
Then expand to 18 Teams with B2 & NZ2
Job Done.

Stallion

First Grade

Yeah I do agree.
Dump a Sydney club and Fast track the Pirates.
Then expand to 18 Teams with B2 & NZ2
Job Done.

How dumb! No need to dump any Sydney club! Add two clubs! It's pretty simple and will be done without further imploding the code in Australias bigggest market. Its not rocket science .Two additional clubs are overdue and will add value to the NRL. In fact their should be planning for more additional clubs than that! And you know why? Because rugby league deserves to be shared and enjoyed by everyone . Not dismantled!

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Nice, Just in time for the double header. I like the “we are WA” marketing. It opens the pirates up to everyone in wa (afl, union) hopefully some decide to become dual members.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn’t sound like Puddy is keen on the Bears.

DES Hasler, Michael Maguire, Neil Henry and John Cartwright would all be on the radar of a new Perth NRL team, whose prospective owner wants a head coach appointed by the end of this year.

Former Western Reds chairman Laurie Puddy has declared he’s preparing to pay some of the $20 million he believes it will cost to own and operate the return, for the first time in 25 years, of a new Perth NRL team.

Puddy also revealed he’s already met with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and wants to pitch to new ARL Chairman Peter Beattie — and expansion supporter — ahead of the round one double-header in Perth in 12 days’ time.

Puddy, who made his millions in forklifts, simply wants to know how serious the NRL is about expanding to Perth — because unequivocally, he is.

“I have people, we have sponsors in Perth ready, but all we need is direction,’’ Puddy said.

“My business colleagues are getting to the stage where it’s becoming all too hard and all we need is Beattie or Todd Greenberg to say ‘Laurie, come in — let’s have a talk and put something on the table.’

“If Peter is going to be in Perth for the double-header, that would be ideal. I’m organising a meeting with the WA Minister for Sport next week about stadium availability, their support and so on ... they’re all the things that have to be done.’’

Puddy said the most crucial element towards ensuring a new Reds team thrived was time to recruit and build a playing roster.

To ensure a team is ready to fire in 2022 — the first year of what will be the new TV broadcast deal — a coach and CEO needed to be identified now with Puddy acutely aware that coaching heavyweights including Hasler, Maguire and Henry were on the open market.

“You couldn’t put a team together before 2020,’’ Puddy said.

“Before we came in 1995, we had two, three trips to the UK to find players and we’d have to do it all again.

“The first thing you need to do, the immediate cost, is you go and employ a coach and there’s some outstanding ones out there.

“You’d want to have a coach on board by the end of this season. That gives you this entire season to talk with prospective coaches.

“You’d need to put a CEO or businessman in place, who has done it before to commence the recruitment and business phase.

“This isn’t tiddly winks, this is serious stuff.

“But I just don’t know if the guys in there (NRL) get it.

“You’ve got to be a looking at a cost of $20 million.

“You’ve got to take it very seriously right from the outset, we’ve got to employ the right people.

“I did (helped fund the Reds) last time and I would again — it’s just a matter of how much.’’

It’s been widely suggested that the best way to assess the legitimacy of interest in a new Perth team is to start with an under-20s or NSW Cup team.

Puddy says simply “that’s insane.’’

“Who is going to put their hand up to fund the travel of a reserve grade side or under-20s team across the Nullarbor every second week, if there’s no garauntee it will result in an actual NRL team,’’ Puddy said.

”You’re not going to get players from England, the east or from Queensland to go to Perth to play reserve grade. They all want to play first grade.

“And you’re not going to get sponsors to pay for a team that isn’t on TV every week and is playing second-tier football.

“Any suggestion to do this piecemeal is insane."

Puddy said he recently accepted a request to meet with the North Sydney Bears expansion team who want to amalgamate bids, ‘out of respect’.

However, he added, “I don’t feel right wearing two hats, I can’t be giving them advice and paddling my own canoe.

“They know I’m pursuing a Perth-based team, but they want to pursue having the Bears brand and I can’t be party to that.

“Is there support for the Reds in Perth, of course there is.

“The Western Australian people are crying out for rugby league. And contrary to belief, we were successful.

“Had it not been for the Super League war, we’d still be there today.

“Right now, the people of Perth just want an answer, one way or another."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...03107afdba73c673805e8b12ae0a6d9b?from=htc_rss

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Doesn’t sound like Puddy is keen on the Bears.

DES Hasler, Michael Maguire, Neil Henry and John Cartwright would all be on the radar of a new Perth NRL team, whose prospective owner wants a head coach appointed by the end of this year.

Former Western Reds chairman Laurie Puddy has declared he’s preparing to pay some of the $20 million he believes it will cost to own and operate the return, for the first time in 25 years, of a new Perth NRL team.

Puddy also revealed he’s already met with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and wants to pitch to new ARL Chairman Peter Beattie — and expansion supporter — ahead of the round one double-header in Perth in 12 days’ time.

Puddy, who made his millions in forklifts, simply wants to know how serious the NRL is about expanding to Perth — because unequivocally, he is.

“I have people, we have sponsors in Perth ready, but all we need is direction,’’ Puddy said.

“My business colleagues are getting to the stage where it’s becoming all too hard and all we need is Beattie or Todd Greenberg to say ‘Laurie, come in — let’s have a talk and put something on the table.’

“If Peter is going to be in Perth for the double-header, that would be ideal. I’m organising a meeting with the WA Minister for Sport next week about stadium availability, their support and so on ... they’re all the things that have to be done.’’

Puddy said the most crucial element towards ensuring a new Reds team thrived was time to recruit and build a playing roster.

To ensure a team is ready to fire in 2022 — the first year of what will be the new TV broadcast deal — a coach and CEO needed to be identified now with Puddy acutely aware that coaching heavyweights including Hasler, Maguire and Henry were on the open market.

“You couldn’t put a team together before 2020,’’ Puddy said.

“Before we came in 1995, we had two, three trips to the UK to find players and we’d have to do it all again.

“The first thing you need to do, the immediate cost, is you go and employ a coach and there’s some outstanding ones out there.

“You’d want to have a coach on board by the end of this season. That gives you this entire season to talk with prospective coaches.

“You’d need to put a CEO or businessman in place, who has done it before to commence the recruitment and business phase.

“This isn’t tiddly winks, this is serious stuff.

“But I just don’t know if the guys in there (NRL) get it.

“You’ve got to be a looking at a cost of $20 million.

“You’ve got to take it very seriously right from the outset, we’ve got to employ the right people.

“I did (helped fund the Reds) last time and I would again — it’s just a matter of how much.’’

It’s been widely suggested that the best way to assess the legitimacy of interest in a new Perth team is to start with an under-20s or NSW Cup team.

Puddy says simply “that’s insane.’’

“Who is going to put their hand up to fund the travel of a reserve grade side or under-20s team across the Nullarbor every second week, if there’s no garauntee it will result in an actual NRL team,’’ Puddy said.

”You’re not going to get players from England, the east or from Queensland to go to Perth to play reserve grade. They all want to play first grade.

“And you’re not going to get sponsors to pay for a team that isn’t on TV every week and is playing second-tier football.

“Any suggestion to do this piecemeal is insane."

Puddy said he recently accepted a request to meet with the North Sydney Bears expansion team who want to amalgamate bids, ‘out of respect’.

However, he added, “I don’t feel right wearing two hats, I can’t be giving them advice and paddling my own canoe.

“They know I’m pursuing a Perth-based team, but they want to pursue having the Bears brand and I can’t be party to that.

“Is there support for the Reds in Perth, of course there is.

“The Western Australian people are crying out for rugby league. And contrary to belief, we were successful.

“Had it not been for the Super League war, we’d still be there today.

“Right now, the people of Perth just want an answer, one way or another."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...03107afdba73c673805e8b12ae0a6d9b?from=htc_rss

Good news! But seriously, is Greenberg even running the game? Is he not in on these meetings? It says Puddy has met with him but he's off spouting some sh!t bout Melbourne 2 after suposedly meeting with someone willing to put up the cash for Perth - he has no idea!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good news! But seriously, is Greenberg even running the game? Is he not in on these meetings? It says Puddy has met with him but he's off spouting some sh!t bout Melbourne 2 after suposedly meeting with someone willing to put up the cash for Perth - he has no idea!

You'd think if there was a multi millionaire willing to back a Perth team they would be wining an dining him at the double header and making sure he was meeting with the chair wouldn't you? Only in NRL would you expect an investor to chase you!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You'd think if there was a multi millionaire willing to back a Perth team they would be wining an dining him at the double header and making sure he was meeting with the chair wouldn't you? Only in NRL would you expect an investor to chase you!

Playing hard to get lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
Is Puddy backing the Pirates or is he setting up a new bid?

Cause from the way he is quoted in the article it sounds like he is behind the Pirates at some points then at others it sounds like he wants to resurrect the Reds and is separate to the Pirates...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is Puddy backing the Pirates or is he setting up a new bid?

Cause from the way he is quoted in the article it sounds like he is behind the Pirates at some points then at others it sounds like he wants to resurrect the Reds and is separate to the Pirates...

No idea tbh! Ideally he’s backing the Pirates and works with John and Brian Cumins (cash converters) to make a nrl pirates a formidable club from the start with great grass root foundations. Last thing we ne3d is 3 or 4 bids fighting each other.

His comments about perth wanting the reds back is a weird one!

Latest posts