What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
So how does Perth position itself to be a shoe in for the 18th spot when it becomes available? Its a hard one as Govt and backers got burnt in 2013 after putting a lot of work and money (NIB stadium upgrade was largely based on the premise an NRL team was coming) into the previous bid that went nowhere. I guess trying to line up as many ducks as possible:
1. Government statement about support for a new RL HQ and stadium upgrade phase 3 if we get an NRL team (generally Govts wont do this though as they dont like to look like they have failed if it doesnt come off)
2. Continued development of Jnr pathways (we had 2 new debutants in NRL first grade this year)
3. Big crowds for NRL games and events over next few years (not that it has helped previously)
4. Get the big money men around the table and form one cohesive bid team
5. Feed the East coast media as much as possible with advocates for a Perth team. Just this week we have seen Geyer and Alexander both in print talking up a Perth team
6. Capitalize on the media for SOO in Perth next year with a big push to position ourselves for the next club
7. NRLWA to push for NRL funding to launch a NSW cup side in 2 years time.

MugaB

Coach
So how does Perth position itself to be a shoe in for the 18th spot when it becomes available? Its a hard one as Govt and backers got burnt in 2013 after putting a lot of work and money (NIB stadium upgrade was largely based on the premise an NRL team was coming) into the previous bid that went nowhere. I guess trying to line up as many ducks as possible:
1. Government statement about support for a new RL HQ and stadium upgrade phase 3 if we get an NRL team (generally Govts wont do this though as they dont like to look like they have failed if it doesnt come off)
2. Continued development of Jnr pathways (we had 2 new debutants in NRL first grade this year)
3. Big crowds for NRL games and events over next few years (not that it has helped previously)
5. Feed the East coast media as much as possible with advocates for a Perth team. Just this week we have seen Geyer and Alexander both in print talking up a Perth team
6. Capitalize on the media for SOO in Perth next year with a big push to position ourselves for the next club
5. Brandy is MGs brother in law, and MG was the Reds poster boy in 95, its like having billy moore in-law advocate for the bears return, slighty bias

How a bout 8. Prove to ARLC or more like prove to PVL you worthy of a license without needing marquee players to prop you up

Perth Red

Post Whore
5. Brandy is MGs brother in law, and MG was the Reds poster boy in 95, its like having billy moore in-law advocate for the bears return, slighty bias

How a bout 8. Prove to ARLC or more like prove to PVL you worthy of a license without needing marquee players to prop you up
You mean like the Dolphins? Oh hang on...... Is there anyone they haven't been linked to signing yet? lol

MugaB

Coach
You mean like the Dolphins? Oh hang on...... Is there anyone they haven't been linked to signing yet? lol
What does that even mean? They have a year to finalize their roster, and surely they have 10-15 of of their current Qcup juniors play in 1st grade... a lot better than 2 debuts coming out of WA over 25 years

Perth Red

Post Whore
What does that even mean? They have a year to finalize their roster, and surely they have 10-15 of of their current Qcup juniors play in 1st grade... a lot better than 2 debuts coming out of WA over 25 years
Its not 2, its 2 this year. Your own club has had 2 of ours lol. We have had around 8-10 debut in NRL since the SG ball set up started. Their first 25 at least will be existing NRL contracted players and they will sign at least 2 big name signings from other clubs. No different to any other club that comes in. Titans original 30 man squad was all signed from other NRL clubs. Make believe to think because they are a Intrust cup club that their first grade side isnt going to be picked up from everyone else.

Hartwood

Juniors
According to Wikipedia there are 8 WA juniors contracted in the NRL.

mongoose

Coach

none of this matters... rusted on AFL state and too far for east coasters to fly to, remember?

Colk

First Grade
Doubt it, they have enough population up north to cater for it, plus a whole country of PNG to travel to visit, tourism from the richer supporters from port moresby will travel to see 1st grade side, and vice versa from those in Cairns

I’d love to see a PNG team if it was economically feasible. You can’t put a team in a poor and violent country no matter how many potential players and supporters there are. Even the NRL say they don’t want to prop up a side which they’d have to with PNG in a considerable fashion

MugaB

Coach
I’d love to see a PNG team if it was economically feasible. You can’t put a team in a poor and violent country no matter how many potential players and supporters there are. Even the NRL say they don’t want to prop up a side which they’d have to with PNG in a considerable fashion
This Bid team is based in Cairns, not in PNG, they are a wanting to play half their matches in port moresby, but realistically i can see 2 trials and 4 home games there, the 8 remaining in Cairns, theyll aso be training their too... so mostly for those reasons i see it more a cairns bid, but yeah, if these two teams are competitive in the Qcup and are happy to merge as a bid, i don't see why not, and having another country involved, albeit a poor one (regardless) is another feather in the cap for league over the more rusted on ALF

Colk

First Grade
The ALF haha I like that.

I can see benefits for sure. I don’t know if it’s the bid I’d choose next but it’s possible in the next 15-20 years depending on area growth . There would be decent costs involved with flights etc. Also Cairns or if you wanted to choose an alternative like Darwin - they are not huge bases in terms of people - what are the facilities like?

It’s an interesting option - I would love PNG to be more developed as then I could see it working as ideally you would want to play half your games there over utilise time differences and have that support really go into the club coffers so to speak

Perth Red

Post Whore
Put a club in a regional city of 150k that is already covered by another NRL club. Sounds a very RL thing to do lol.

So its another NQ club with the odd game in PNG. Hmmm. Sounds very similar to what I'm proposing for a WA/PNG link up!

Colk

First Grade
Another potential problem I could see is like any merger. Do you risk putting both sets of supporters offside. Would Cairns or Darwin or wherever would they follow the side knowing it is really a PNG side? What about the PNG side of the merger

I think you’re right in addressing the fact that we could more with Pacific Islands and PNG. You could do things like give salary cap free spots for players from PNG and the Pacific Islands. That keeps the fire burning until there is the possibility for a PNG/PI side down the track

Dragonwest

Juniors
Still say the best outcome would be for WA to partner up with PNG. Create a Pirates academy in Port Moresby, play pre season games there. Special png jersey, png membership etc,
Bring across their best and brightest to join our U18’s and reserve grade. Opens up a brand new pathway for player development. PNG is NEVER getting an nrl club so this would be a good outcome for both areas.
They'll need Harold Matt's too. One of the biggest problem for SG Ball is the players are expected to go from low quality club training to SG Ball standard training 5 months out from competition. There bodies and minds are not ready for it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They'll need Harold Matt's too. One of the biggest problem for SG Ball is the players are expected to go from low quality club training to SG Ball standard training 5 months out from competition. There bodies and minds are not ready for it.
Id rather see investment in the low quality club training to bring it up than spend that money flying 17 kids backwards and forwards to Sydney every other weekend. When the Reds came in there was a clear strategy to lift the quality of the local comp and its clubs, we need to do same again as part of the whole picture of what expansion should be aiming to achieve.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Id rather see investment in the low quality club training to bring it up than spend that money flying 17 kids backwards and forwards to Sydney every other weekend. When the Reds came in there was a clear strategy to lift the quality of the local comp and its clubs, we need to do same again as part of the whole picture of what expansion should be aiming to achieve.
Both is needed to be successful. Coaches brought in for Matts n Ball will hopefully be sufficiently funded to be working with the club coaches throughout the winter season. Our 15 year olds need to understand how big a step up it is from dominating games for their clubs and be provided with the right guidance on how to get where they want to be.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Who? What amateur clubs are making 16 year olds sign illegal contracts that are in contradiction of the RugbyWA charter?
Force contracts, directly from the players mouth. Watching his 16s team mates play on a Sunday because Union won’t let him play both

ReddFelon

Juniors
Force contracts, directly from the players mouth. Watching his 16s team mates play on a Sunday because Union won’t let him play both

At best you're describing an academy contract, that's completely different to your initial post which seemed to imply local clubs were paying money in direct non-compliance with the charter. . All academies for any sport have that requirement. I was in a swimming academy as a teenager and was restricted from playing any sport. It's because the academy is investing in you and they don't want you at risk of an injury.

Same for League, Aussie Rules and other academies.

Dragonwest

Juniors
At best you're describing an academy contract, that's completely different to your initial post which seemed to imply local clubs were paying money in direct non-compliance with the charter. . All academies for any sport have that requirement. I was in a swimming academy as a teenager and was restricted from playing any sport. It's because the academy is investing in you and they don't want you at risk of an injury.

Same for League, Aussie Rules and other academies.
" Rugby are making juniors sign contracts ..." How does that imply clubs over Rugby WA?

In terms of academies ... a bit like the Pirates graduates who are now considered "home grown" talent by the Force after NRL WA invested in them? ... as I said at the beginning Rugby Union is not Leagues friend and there will be no synergy between the two.

ReddFelon

Juniors
" Rugby are making juniors sign contracts ..." How does that imply clubs over Rugby WA?

In terms of academies ... a bit like the Pirates graduates who are now considered "home grown" talent by the Force after NRL WA invested in them? ... as I said at the beginning Rugby Union is not Leagues friend and there will be no synergy between the two.

"rugby" which was in response to me saying that the individual local clubs are friends with each other like Rockingham RL and Rockingham RU. Or Mandurah Storm and Mandurah Pirates. You could have been more clear.

This is no different than East Freo FC giving out developmental contracts and then those same kids going to play for the Wildcats.

Also I'd love to know all the Pirates guys who play for the Force.

Because of their current WA players, I've known Kane Koteka, Brad Lacey, Ollie and Luke Callan for a long time and none of them ever played league.

Dragonwest

Juniors
"rugby" which was in response to me saying that the individual local clubs are friends with each other like Rockingham RL and Rockingham RU. Or Mandurah Storm and Mandurah Pirates. You could have been more clear.

This is no different than East Freo FC giving out developmental contracts and then those same kids going to play for the Wildcats.

Also I'd love to know all the Pirates guys who play for the Force.

Because of their current WA players, I've known Kane Koteka, Brad Lacey, Ollie and Luke Callan for a long time and none of them ever played league.
Ollie Callan, Luke Callan and Zan Pomare all played juniors at Joondalup Giants and came through the u18s Pirates system. Also quite a few 1st grade players were poached last year using Twiggies money for 2021. No ill feeling towards the players, they are chasing a chance to play professional football and we don't have a direct pathway. Or at a club level players are looking to pick up some decent cash for their family. Let's not pretend we don't compete directly for players, we'll never work together.

Latest posts