What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Rugby League

joshreading

Staff member
There has not been much mention of the West of late and was wondering whether anyone knew anything?

An interesting thing I found lately on bigfooty from their international section where they state that many Aussies from NSW and QLD play AFL in america for some Aussie connections. Maybe we need to raid the new AFL clubs for players.

It was said on the bigfooty site that some players in the OC Bombers AFL club rather Rugby League but have no choice and want Aussie contact.

The West really needs some help, once something is up and going I have no doubt it will quicly outstrip the East.

Oh that qoute referred to above is:

"I know of a couple of Banana Benders on the Bombers who prefer Rugby League,but missed the aussie mateship...and ended up playing footy."

joshreading

Staff member
I think it is amazing that nothing much seems to be happening and the amnrl don't seem to give a stuff, why can't they atleast have a section on their site about the development of the game in the west.

The West needs to be able to increase thier profile and the only way that is going to be done successfully is through the amnrl site.

Why can't someone help them to stage a nines RL festival in say LA and invite all the Union clubs.

I have been on some Rugby Union sites in the US and MANY expats are there saying they would like to play League but there is nothing.

yankeeboy

Juniors
I would love to see RL in the Western areas of the US. However, the only message on the website wanrl.tripod.com is that the 2003 fixtures have been postponed to summer 2004. However, I doubt anything will happen next year.

A nines/sevens festival in LA would be nice, but might cost too much organizing, and I doubt the AMNRL would bother.
joshreading:

In one of your previous posts you said you have a Texan friend who is a league fan. What part of Texas is he from, and do you know if he'd be interested in playing league?

hot dog

Juniors
go boys, get a Texan side together....I'll have a side down there to play in 2 shakes.....

"All my ex's are from Texas"

joshreading

Staff member
At present he is here in Oz. He is from near Dallas however I saw another fella in a Rugby Union board from Dallas who loves League first and was looking to play League in Texas but only had union options. I will see if I can track him down.

joshreading

Staff member
Yankee Boy - have you thought of posting 'ads' on Union messageboards and emailing Union club in the Dallas and Texas area seeing if anyone is interested in play RL? I think there are some around, at one point there was a fella in Houston looking at starting a team.

yankeeboy

Juniors
I currently don't play Union, only Aussie Rules. Do you have any Union messageboards where you might find potential league players?

joshreading

Staff member
www.extremebodycontact.com - if you go to the Rugby League forum section there is a fella looking to play League and some union players from your area.

Maybe you can post something there and get things moving.

I will try to find some other places.

Nuke

Staff member
Hmmm ... Rugby League only being played on the East Coast, the West being ignored by the national body. Sounds like Australia!