What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

El Diablo

Post Whore

This is absolutely disgusting.

How can they justify it? Just a quick look at the participation numbers there show how insignificant AFL is and how massive RL is.

I want to see whoever okay'd this explain why an unpopular code is given leg-up at the expense of the most popular code.

Their pokie den located in the poorest part of Brisbane, far, far away from their HQ.
Handouts from the AFL.
Handouts from the government.

The Lions are the ultimate parasites.

Granted the NRL should've stepped in re: expansion on the WC bid's behalf but the Lions are useless.

They can't sell their corporate boxes, they've had issues with sponsors in the last few years, they've had declining crowds and members for a decade and both are among the lowest in the AFL. They're a running joke but they get overlooked because the Suns and Giants have even bigger problems.

Yet despite all that they get given equal if not better treatment than other sports teams in Brisbane simply because of AFL strongarm lobbying on their behalf. This is a prime example of it.
That piece of land has been set aside for a long time for a regional stadium, for them to swoop in like vultures and build something that will only be of use to themselves is abhorrent.

Steve Johnson said it in the article, the AFL and the AFL teams aren't interested in sharing or doing the right thing by the local community, they do what's best for themselves. They're parasites.

http://www.thereporter.com.au/news/just-hold-your-lions-lions-move-in-jeopardy/2042919/

Lions? move in jeopardy

7th Oct 2013 9:20 AM

THE Brisbane Lions' move to the western corridor is in jeopardy after the Federal Government refused to guarantee $15m in funding for the project.

Labor announced during the election campaign that Canberra would kick in a quarter of the cash needed to build the AFL club's new training base in Springfield.

Blair MP Shayne Neumann said the funding would be "locked in" regardless of the outcome of the Federal Election - but a spokesman for the new Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development, Warren Truss, said that claim was a "cruel hoax" on voters.

Three other local projects announced by Labor during the election campaign are also now in doubt.

Mr Truss's office said no application has been submitted for the $2m for Ipswich's Northside Flood Evacuation Centre at St Joseph's Primary School, while no contract has been signed for the $219,000 Lowood Pool upgrade or $349,000 of improvements at Willowbank Raceway.

Mr Neumann said the Coalition was using "weasel words" to "rip money away" from Ipswich, but Mr Truss's spokesman said the government was only obliged to honour legally-binding contracts.

The spokesman added: "It is astonishing that Mr Neumann is spruiking these projects when his government failed to fund them.

"Indeed, it beggars belief that two of the four projects do not even have applications before the Department to be considered, yet he and Labor were hastily promising that it was a done deal.

"Only now, after the election, can we expose these Labor promises as just another cruel hoax on voters."

The Lions' bid was being dealt with the Regional Development Australia Fund (RDAF), set up after Labor's 2007 election win, which the Coalition intends to replace with its own National Stronger Regions Fund. Mr Neumann said the Brisbane Lions and AFL had dealt with the previous Labor Government "for months" about the Springfield project.

He said he had discussed the issue with former Prime Ministers Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard and that there were "a plethora of documents in departments and ministerial departments" supporting the project.

He said it was "a funding commitment allocated in the previous budget and documented in full and in detail".

"This is typical Liberal Party response to Ipswich - cut the funding, cut the services, cut the community infrastructure and cut the jobs," he said.

"That is what they do. It is in their DNA.

"The Coalition is using weasel words to try and mislead people and rip money away from our community. They are trying to get out of fulfilling what are very important community projects that are budgeted for and properly documented."

He said the Ipswich and Somerset councils had worked closely with the RDAF and that the projects at Lowood, St Joseph's and Willowbank were all "budgeted for" and correctly applied for. He said the issue of contracts was "not relevant" as funding had been earmarked.

Cr David Morrison backed Mr Neumann's statements on the Lions project and the other two Ipswich City Council projects.

"An application was submitted? that was a partnership between the Ipswich City Council, Springfield Land Corporation, Brisbane Lions and AFL," Cr Morrison said.

"The application would have gone in approximately eight months before the election.

"There is no way funding would be awarded by any government unless an application was submitted."

Cr Morrison said the council had given letters of support to Shayne Neumann to take to Warren Truss outlining its support for the projects.

But Mr Truss's spokesman said the $15m for the Lions project was on hold - for now.

"Any non-contracted announcements made by the previous government fall into the remit of election promises and will have to be reassessed on their merits under the Coalition's National Stronger Regions Fund," he said.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Great news. The Lions and Suns have bled taxpayers dry.

If the AFl can spend tens of millions per year just on promotion for the unwanted Suns and Giants then they can look after the Lions training base...

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
The points probably been made before me, but Melbourne receives generous assistance from the Victorian gov. despite even worse junior numbers than AFL in Qld. No government wants to appear "anti-sport".

Garbler

Juniors
The points probably been made before me, but Melbourne receives generous assistance from the Victorian gov. despite even worse junior numbers than AFL in Qld. No government wants to appear "anti-sport".

I would dare say Victorian government is far less accommodating of RL than QLD of AFL. Consider their Sport's minister last year on our showcase event:

The naturally AFL-inclined pollie made three faux pas’ within the space of 30 seconds during his presentation, referring to league’s big three-game series as "State of the Origin", naming the Blues captain as "Paul Callen" and then lauding the fact the game "between Queensland and New Zealand" was returning to Melbourne.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/113352/ministers-state-of-the-origin-boob/

From a Sports Minister of all people. FFS.

docbrown

Coach
You really have to wonder why with all the former players/management and their links to current elected officials why rugby league doesn't get a larger slice of the pie.

I mean if anything we share our grounds with union and soccer. The three sports combined should be getting a bigger slice of the action.

Perth Red

Post Whore
like a $270million rectangular stadium you mean? or $70k for a ground upgrade for a Vic RL club? or the NT Gov paying Eels to develop the game in NT, or the WA Govt putting in $125million to redevelop a rectangular stadium.

If you look hard enough you will find other examples. Just becuase RL has not been good at prizing money out of Govt's due to a lack of coordination, leadership and national approach don't confuse that with State Govt's willingness or otherwise to support the game.

http://www.rich-phillips.com.au/Med...ague-receives-funds-for-lighting-upgrade.aspx

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/Eels%20Announce%20Historic%20Agreement%20with%20NT%20Government/81945

http://www.nospam11.com.au/articles/2012/11/01/pirates-vow-irresistible-nrl-bid/

docbrown

Coach
like a $270million rectangular stadium you mean? or $70k for a ground upgrade for a Vic RL club? or the NT Gov paying Eels to develop the game in NT, or the WA Govt putting in $125million to redevelop a rectangular stadium.

If you look hard enough you will find other examples. Just becuase RL has not been good at prizing money out of Govt's due to a lack of coordination, leadership and national approach don't confuse that with State Govt's willingness or otherwise to support the game.

I'm not saying that we get no funding, rather that as our grounds are typically shared with at least two other sports (unlike others that require unique facilities) that we should be receiving a larger share of the overall pie.

This isn't actually a code war comment, far from it. What I'm talking about is to the benefit of all 3 codes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure you can argue we aren't
Vic aami park $270mill
WA nib $125mill
Qland skilled $180mill
NSW Hunter $60mill jubilee $13mill win $29mill pirtek $28mill (proposed)

I'd say we are doing pretty good for rectangular stadium projects in recent years.

ACT and NQ needs big spend upgrades and there is still only only Allianz that I would class in top tier rectangular club stadium in Sydney. NT and Adelaide would benefit but no sign of any NRL club for those cities so not that big an issue for now.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Vic aami park $270mill
WA nib $125mill
Qland skilled $180mill

I'd say we are doing pretty good for rectangular stadium projects in recent years.

ACT and NQ needs big spend upgrades and there is still only only Allianz that I would class in top tier rectangular club stadium in Sydney. NT and Adelaide would benefit but no sign of any NRL club for those cities so not that big an issue for now.

The difference is these improvements are for the use of 3 codes of football,12 months of the year thereabouts.Maximum utilisation.
Compare this with the largesse expended on GWS (using it for 1/2 dozen game) and Blacktown used as a resting place for seagulls.
One has a better chance of justifying expenditure to taxpayers ,on an infrastructure that gets decent or full usage,than either a 6month job or 6 games for one code.
Rest assured the Storm would not have secured their stadium,if long term plans did not include other codes involvement.
At least the new admin under Smith,have arranged regular contacts with fed and state govt ,to lobby for the future.Something Mr Um and Aaagh Gallop failed to do.

bobmar28

Bench
Of course Melbourne receives generous assistance from the Victorian govt, it is the state capital. I'll bet the AFL get more than their share.

docbrown

Coach
Vic aami park $270mill
WA nib $125mill
Qland skilled $180mill

Again, I'm not saying we're getting nothing, I'm saying as others have said there's usually 3 sports that use the same grounds and facilities. They are usually in use most weekends of the year. Compare that to other sports with seasonal only or unique grounds catering for only 1 sport. And this isn't just at elite level, I'm also talking at grassroots levels as well.

I mean you mention my local ground in there getting a chunk of money but I could also argue that it's still technically unfinished even after the new grandstand was completed. Our ground hosts NRL & A-League plus a half dozen other events during the season so its also in use most weekends.

I mean I think it's a joke that in several places the 3 rectangular sports still have to play on ovals.

I also disagree that Canberra and Townsville need upgrades. What they actually need are purpose built rectangular stadiums right in the city centres. In Canberra's case a roof is necessary if the Brumbies & Raiders are going to persist with night games in winter. I'd also add that there's also Sydney clubs in need of work (Campbelltown and Brookvale) but we also need to big working on the East-West Sydney ground centralisation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
and that is the issue, In sydney you have soo many grounds that $200mill barely will make a difference compared to other places where they only need one decent rectangular stadium. You wouldn't see the Vic Govt spending on building and upgrading 10 or 11 stadiums like you have in NSW or even WA govt on as many stadiums as Q'land need.

And again, don't blame Govt's for the NRL's failings in being able to lobby for better facilities. There isn't an intrinsic like/dislike of Governments for sports (on the whole), they put the $'s were they think the people will be happiest with and who lobbies the hardest and most effectively.

agree re NQ and ACT, when I send significant upgrade I meant new stadiums!

When you look at stadiums for NRL we really only have 3 cities not yet sorted, Sydney, Townsville and Canberra. Others (inc Perth) have decent stadiums in use. Sydney as the heart of the game is the biggest issue due to its geography, suburban mentality and ANZ which is seen as a solution but is in fact as bad as a run down ground for the appeal of the avg fan.

docbrown

Coach
and that is the issue, In sydney you have soo many grounds that $200mill barely will make a difference compared to other places where they only need one decent rectangular stadium. You wouldn't see the Vic Govt spending on building and upgrading 10 or 11 stadiums like you have in NSW or even WA govt on as many stadiums as Q'land need.

I do agree that there needs to be a rationalisation in Sydney but we have to also be rational about it. NSW is a big place. Sydney is bigger than Melbourne and regional NSW has about 2.6 million people in it. You're also going to struggle to get Penrith and Campbelltown residents to travel into Homebush and Northern Beachs & Sutherland shire supporters to travel to the SFS, so I don't think we can ever achieve a 2 stadium policy in Sydney. 4 suburban grounds + 2 major venues (one in East/one West) is a workable answer. Don't forget, the fumbleball clubs in Victoria still have their suburban training grounds that still get funded like the suburban NRL grounds.

And again, don't blame Govt's for the NRL's failings in being able to lobby for better facilities.

I actually agree, like I said the NRL needs to use its contacts better but the fault is on both sides. I would argue that creating white elephant stadiums when the funds are need elsewhere (and the same facilities to some extent already exist) is definitely a government failing.

agree re NQ and ACT, when I send significant upgrade I meant new stadiums!

Oh okay, well definitely agree with that.

and ANZ which is seen as a solution but is in fact as bad as a run down ground for the appeal of the avg fan.

I'd argue it's another example of bad government planning for long term use given it's configuration and transportation links.

Highway1

Juniors
I must note that: i remmeber reading the newspaper on how one of the brisbane lions director had conflicting interest on the proposed springfield site.
I think the article was about the brisbane lions director being one of the developers of the springfield site and how he brought the lions into the fold.
Dodgy business that, by the lions part.

Garbler

Juniors
I must note that: i remmeber reading the newspaper on how one of the brisbane lions director had conflicting interest on the proposed springfield site.
I think the article was about the brisbane lions director being one of the developers of the springfield site and how he brought the lions into the fold.
Dodgy business that, by the lions part.

Now this I would like to hear more about.

Canard

Immortal
Now this I would like to hear more about.

8. As part of the process, Mr Johnson and fellow director, Mr Mick Power, AO, did not participate in the final vote to approve the HOA with the Ipswich City Council, in order to remove any concerns about potential conflicts with their business interests in the region.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-08-15/new-home-at-springfield-

Mick Power is the Boss of BMD (Developer/Construction Company, Angus Johnson is property developer also.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.qt.com.au/news/nrl-bids-ready-and-waiting/2131006/

Western Corridor bid boss bides his time over expansion

Joel Gould
6th Jan 2014 5:00 AM

THE Western Corridor NRL bid has been going strong for more than four years, so bid boss Steve Johnson says waiting another four years for a licence is not an issue.

The NRL competition is unlikely to expand from its current 16 teams until 2017 or 2018, but Johnson said the Western Corridor would be ready to rock whenever the expansion received the green light.

Mr Johnson said he had followed the advice of current NRL CEO David Smith and Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant by not wasting funds on the bid while expansion was on the backburner.

"We've presented our facts and figures to the commission, which is all we can do for the moment," he said.

"There is little point spending money on the bid, because we are already involved day-to-day in rugby league in Ipswich, Logan and Toowoomba.

"We are working on ground zero every day.

"If they do decide to expand, you would need a two-year run-in to lay your foundations ... so 2017 or 2018 would be ideal.

"We are here for the long haul.

"Our bid is already written, it is just a matter of updating the financials. They (the NRL) are remaining on path to do what they said, which is to put the consideration of expansion to the side while they dealt with how they were going to spend the new money (from the TV deal), fund development of the game and get the existing clubs on a more stable footing.

"They have earmarked the end of 2014 to consider expansion, and I don't think that has wavered.

"At the end of the year, they will have a review of the competition and whether it is in the best interests of the game to expand."

Mr Johnson expects the NRL will call for bid teams in strategic geographic regions, which are likely to be south-east Queensland and Perth.

The requirements of Channel Nine, the NRL's free to air broadcaster, will be pivotal.

"The views of (Channel Nine's) David Gyngell and Steve Crawley are well documented on that," Mr Johnson said.

"They want a third side in south-east Queensland for the obvious reasons of TV ratings. Seeing that television generates the money that is driving the game, the game has to respect the needs of television."

The Western Corridor bid's journey started in 2009 when former NRL CEO David Gallop toured the region with Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale.

Mr Gallop said at the time that Ipswich was an ideal area for another NRL side.

Few will forget his famous quote that when the game expands it must "go where the fish are biting".