What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This is absolutely disgusting.

How can they justify it? Just a quick look at the participation numbers there show how insignificant AFL is and how massive RL is.

I want to see whoever okay'd this explain why an unpopular code is given leg-up at the expense of the most popular code.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbf there isno guarantee WC are getting a team or even if the NRL is going to expand. It is a cheek to use the land the bid identified but end of day it is council land for a sporting facility and I guess they decided a definite $60mill facility is better than a possible $20mill one

Where Lions are getting $60,mill to build it is an interesting question?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Tbf there isno guarantee WC are getting a team or even if the NRL is going to expand. It is a cheek to use the land the bid identified but end of day it is council land for a sporting facility and I guess they decided a definite $60mill facility is better than a possible $20mill one

Where Lions are getting $60,mill to build it is an interesting question?

Their pokie den located in the poorest part of Brisbane, far, far away from their HQ.
Handouts from the AFL.
Handouts from the government.

The Lions are the ultimate parasites.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Or good businessmen? If the shoe was on the other foot and it was the warl doing his to afl in Perth I would be applauding them.

End of day NRL has been faffing about trying to decide about expansion for 5 years, won't make a decision for more than another year and then it'll probably be another three years before, if it does, happen. You can hardly blame anyone for having little faith in NRL expansion any more.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Or good businessmen? If the shoe was on the other foot and it was the warl doing his to afl in Perth I would be applauding them.

End of day NRL has been faffing about trying to decide about expansion for 5 years, won't make a decision for more than another year and then it'll probably be another three years before, if it does, happen. You can hardly blame anyone for having little faith in NRL expansion any more.

Granted the NRL should've stepped in re: expansion on the WC bid's behalf but the Lions are useless.

They can't sell their corporate boxes, they've had issues with sponsors in the last few years, they've had declining crowds and members for a decade and both are among the lowest in the AFL. They're a running joke but they get overlooked because the Suns and Giants have even bigger problems.

Yet despite all that they get given equal if not better treatment than other sports teams in Brisbane simply because of AFL strongarm lobbying on their behalf. This is a prime example of it.
That piece of land has been set aside for a long time for a regional stadium, for them to swoop in like vultures and build something that will only be of use to themselves is abhorrent.

Steve Johnson said it in the article, the AFL and the AFL teams aren't interested in sharing or doing the right thing by the local community, they do what's best for themselves. They're parasites.

reanimate

Bench
"We'd welcome any facility in Ipswich that benefits our young people, and if there is a stadium built in Ipswich it will benefit other sports than just rugby league," Mr Johnson said.

Sure, it doesn't need to benefit just RL, a new facility can also be used for RU and soccer, which a rectangular stadium would do! This 'multipurpose' crap is just a politically correct way of giving the AFL a free leg-up, a rectangular stadium would also be multipurpose and would be used by sports which are actually popular in QLD.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Exactly why expansion in West Brisbane is overdue.

Doesn't follow.

The AFL is trying to muscle in on Western Sydney and Canberra as well, so using your theory both these areas need new NRL team's also?

Brisbane does need another NRL team, but the AFL's expansion attempts are not the reason why and never should be the reason for expansion and extra teams in an area is not a way to combat other (unfavorable) codes expansion.

gyallop

Juniors
Doesn't follow.

The AFL is trying to muscle in on Western Sydney and Canberra as well, so using your theory both these areas need new NRL team's also?

Brisbane does need another NRL team, but the AFL's expansion attempts are not the reason why and never should be the reason for expansion and extra teams in an area is not a way to combat other (unfavorable) codes expansion.

that view is correct in a simplistic sense but irrelevant to the SEQ where as you said there is a need. I think even the plodders who are running the game can count and 2 teams for over 2 million people and 9 for 4 million is an imbalance that can't be ignored particularly now the other codes arent ignoring those numbers.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.qt.com.au/news/nrl-pay-price-for-ignoring-hard-work/1993184/

NRL pay price for ignoring hard work

Inside Edge with Sports Editor David Lems
22nd Aug 2013 6:00 AM

IPSWICH Jets chairman Steve Johnson has to be admired.

He's put his heart and soul into the Western Corridor bid to join the National Rugby League. He's maintained a professional and positive approach despite receiving support then being told the team's future was in limbo.

The new NRL Commission has handled the expansion situation poorly unlike former boss David Gallop who saw the potential in Ipswich and the western corridor.

But while bid boss Johnson and his team have to wait, Aussie rules and football continue to secure their strongholds in the region.

It's almost ironic that one of Ipswich's traditional powerhouse sports is being blocked at national level while Aussie rules and football get vital kicks along.

There's little doubt our region is well suited to having an NRL team.

Johnson's relentless work in highlighting the playing numbers and regional support proves that.

But now the AFL and A-League have overtaken the NRL in the development race.

Having the Brisbane Lions move their $60m state-of-the-art base to Springfield is a massive coup for the city.

Now new A-League boss Gallop is taking his former rugby league expansion vision to the round ball game.

The progressive Western Pride Football Club is in his sights.

Having enjoyed a successful debut season, Western Pride showed what can be achieved when regional people work together. It's a testament to Ipswich's quality as a maturing city that Western Pride was formed through a united Ipswich Football organisation.

Regional football players, fans and officials can gain inspiration knowing we all own Western Pride and can continue to shape its future at state, and hopefully national level.

When the next A-League licence is offered, we need to be ready to step up, like we have in many avenues of regional sport over several decades.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale and councillor David Morrison have been leading players in the AFL and A-League development.

Hearing the passion our mayor and councillor speak about sport, it's hardly surprising they are aiming for the sky.

It will be fascinating to see how the Lions development unfolds and how it helps the code.

However, having another traditional Ipswich sport in line for national exposure is just as exciting.

Ipswich has produced many state and international footballers over the years and Western Pride this season started building a new generation of youthful talent to support future elite teams.

Thankfully for rugby league, there has been some progress with the Ipswich Jets and Ipswich Junior Rugby League forming an historic partnership with the Brisbane Broncos. That does provide a pathway to the top for local players.

However, the reality is the NRL has been caught napping while the AFL and A-League are wide awake and getting on with the job.

Keep up the good work Johnson (pictured). You deserve to one day celebrate your commitment like the Lions and Western Pride.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The new NRL Commission has handled the expansion situation poorly unlike former boss David Gallop who saw the potential in Ipswich and the western corridor.

Wtf? Gallop led expansion bids up the path for years!

Nerd

Bench
Lems is a dribbler. The Lions moved out to Ipswich because they are losing money hand over fist at the Gabba.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Wtf? Gallop led expansion bids up the path for years!

Yeah WTF is he on about, by all reports Gallop had done f#ck all on the expansion front which is pretty much the soul reason why the ARLC has not already (officially) announced the bidding process in my opinion.

Further more the fact that Gallop was complementary about the bid doesn't mean anything, I mean this is the guy that had the CC Bears convinced that they'd be in the NRL by 2007 and has certain parts of PNG convinced that they will have a team in the NRL sometime sooner rather than later, he was openly complementary about every bid in existence because he wanted them all to stick around.

On another note why do Queenslander's from all over the state think they have a divine right to a NRL team right on their door step because the AFL is active near them? Brisbane needs another team there's no doubting that and maybe the Western Corridor is that team, but after the next Queensland team that's it for sometime as far I'm concerned.

There is more to this world then NSW and Queensland and the fact that even in this day and age the RL community in Australia is still so focused on NSW and Queensland is disheartening to say the least, we should be working on teams in Wellington and Adelaide as first priority's after this next set of expansion but I fear that instead we'll be too worried about Sydney, Brisbane, CC, CQ, Sunshine coast, etc etc etc to even notice the non-heartland cities and that concerns me greatly.

bobmar28

Bench
Yeah WTF is he on about, by all reports Gallop had done f#ck all on the expansion front which is pretty much the soul reason why the ARLC has not already (officially) announced the bidding process in my opinion.

Further more the fact that Gallop was complementary about the bid doesn't mean anything, I mean this is the guy that had the CC Bears convinced that they'd be in the NRL by 2007 and has certain parts of PNG convinced that they will have a team in the NRL sometime sooner rather than later, he was openly complementary about every bid in existence because he wanted them all to stick around.

On another note why do Queenslander's from all over the state think they have a divine right to a NRL team right on their door step because the AFL is active near them? Brisbane needs another team there's no doubting that and maybe the Western Corridor is that team, but after the next Queensland team that's it for sometime as far I'm concerned.

There is more to this world then NSW and Queensland and the fact that even in this day and age the RL community in Australia is still so focused on NSW and Queensland is disheartening to say the least, we should be working on teams in Wellington and Adelaide as first priority's after this next set of expansion but I fear that instead we'll be too worried about Sydney, Brisbane, CC, CQ, Sunshine coast, etc etc etc to even notice the non-heartland cities and that concerns me greatly.

One of the reasons there are no teams in Ipswich, Perth, Adelaide and Wellington is there are 9 teams in Sydney where there should be about 4.

The ARLC have been sitting on their hands while AFL have been getting on with expansion. The Ipswich Jets should have had a franchise last year.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
One of the reasons there are no teams in Ipswich, Perth, Adelaide and Wellington is there are 9 teams in Sydney where there should be about 4.

The ARLC have been sitting on their hands while AFL have been getting on with expansion. The Ipswich Jets should have had a franchise last year.

4?! And then watch support and juniors in Sydney's largest city plummet

chigurh

I caught the end of an interview on the ABC when driving home yesterday afternoon where Paul Pisasale (who I assume was being interviewed) indicated the expansion decision could be fast tracked 12 months with a decision coming later this year.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.qt.com.au/news/elias-backs-western-corridor-bid-for-nrl-side/1995211/

Ipswich is the ideal place to put an NRL side: NSW legend

Joel Gould
23rd Aug 2013 12:00 PM

SUPPORT for the western corridor NRL bid has come from an unlikely source with NSW legend Ben Elias insisting "Ipswich is the ideal place to put an NRL side".

Elias, who is also backing an NRL bid in Perth, said he often travelled to the western corridor on business.

He was stunned to discover that the Brisbane Lions were about to base their $60 million-plus administration and training facility in Springfield.

"Wow," Elias said when The Queensland Times told him the news.

"Ipswich and that whole western corridor region is just like the western suburbs of Sydney. They are the two strength areas of rugby league and now the AFL is investing a lot of money in it.

"Geographically and demographically, Ipswich is a hot favourite for an NRL team.

"But I don't know what the NRL are waiting for. If they leave it too long people lose the excitement for it.

"If you think that the AFL doesn't see us as their major opposition in business, then you are kidding. They are in our face with GWS in Sydney and now they are going to the heartland of rugby league in Queensland.

"It is like Telstra and Optus.... and Woolworths and Coles. They attack each other's territory as aggressively as possible."

The Lions have admitted that their move to Springfield has a strategic aspect to it. But Elias said it went further than that.

"They don't want to say the word 'war' but this is big business…a $1 billion business," he said.

"The guys at the (ARL) Commission are all qualified in their own right, but they are there to take on this animal that is the AFL. The AFL is an animal that is aggressive and patient…and with deep pockets.

"In politics we are seeing two parties throwing the kitchen sink at their marginal seats. We should do a study and be investing in those areas that are marginal due to threats from other sports.

"At the moment it is AFL one, us nil," he said.

Garbler

Juniors
I caught the end of an interview on the ABC when driving home yesterday afternoon where Paul Pisasale (who I assume was being interviewed) indicated the expansion decision could be fast tracked 12 months with a decision coming later this year.

Really? that's great news if true.

David Smith seems very deliberate in he's actions; unlike the former administration I don't see him:

a) Waiting around to get Channel 9's approval
b) Placing the onus on the bids to prove their case
c) Leave bids hanging (CC Bears) for years with false hope & wasting genuine people's time.

IMHO, The NRL needs to step in and assist the Western Corridor bid, perhaps get the Brothers & Jets bids working together? Either way I expect the NRL to be more proactive with expansion, Perth and Western Corridor are a must.

Garbler

Juniors
Doesn't follow.

Great Dane I think you misunderstood where I was coming from.

I was referring to the lost opportunity with the strategic parcel of land as to why it was overdue. When RL is losing potential assets such as a highly valuable strategic location for RL facilities in a high growth RL heartland than yeah I would suggest we have been sitting on our hands for too long.

Losing it to the main competitor of our code makes it an even bigger deal.

Latest posts