What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers Coaches 2024

Nutz

Bench
c0dacc3dfe9e54ecdd4e006dafabceb9f755296d.jpg
Benji is about embark on his first NRL Head Coaching gig and so far, leading up to the start of the 2024 season, he's pressing all the right buttons.
What has impressed me is his stance on discipline and being a team player. Under his watch he has released David Noffa for a poor attitude towards training and punctuality. There maybe more simply based on being below the required std.

In a recent interview Benji talked about the concerns that surrounds the team. He reported that AD is training well and the club is just focused on him getting fit to play...nothing more...not committing to say yeh or nay.

He welcomed Olam to the club and said his experience and influence as an outside back is already showing around the club which has been sorely missed for years.

The team makeup is not set in concrete and the trials will help to make those selections...all the players are working hard and keen to get a start.

Greg Inglis will continue to work with Bula. He won't be doing much on the training paddock but will be there in the background to help mainly with the head noise.

Benji said that when he was the assistant coach he was doing what the coach wanted but now he's driving the standards that he wants to see and Morris is helping Benji to achieve this.

Whilst Bud has been training the house down, he and all the halves know that selection depends on how the penny drops during the trials. It's a long season and the goal posts may move at any time. [No mention of Bud's or any other player injuries]

The team can't change the poor results of the past but they can change team culture that should get better future results.
Since 05 it's been all talk and no action....from now on its going to be the other way round. The loyal fans need more action, more wins and less disappointments.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
View attachment 84061
View attachment 84062

View attachment 84063
There are some good articles about our coaches atm and there's sure to more as the season rolls on so maybe we can keep it all in here as they come in.
The quality of the article, will tell us how we’re going hahaha

Ned Kelly

Juniors
View attachment 83949
Benji is about embark on his first NRL Head Coaching gig and so far, leading up to the start of the 2024 season, he's pressing all the right buttons.
What has impressed me is his stance on discipline and being a team player. Under his watch he has released David Noffa for a poor attitude towards training and punctuality. There maybe more simply based on being below the required std.

In a recent interview Benji talked about the concerns that surrounds the team. He reported that AD is training well and the club is just focused on him getting fit to play...nothing more...not committing to say yeh or nay.

He welcomed Olam to the club and said his experience and influence as an outside back is already showing around the club which has been sorely missed for years.

The team makeup is not set in concrete and the trials will help to make those selections...all the players are working hard and keen to get a start.

Greg Inglis will continue to work with Bula. He won't be doing much on the training paddock but will be there in the background to help mainly with the head noise.

Benji said that when he was the assistant coach he was doing what the coach wanted but now he's driving the standards that he wants to see and Morris is helping Benji to achieve this.

Whilst Bud has been training the house down, he and all the halves know that selection depends on how the penny drops during the trials. It's a long season and the goal posts may move at any time. [No mention of Bud's or any other player injuries]

The team can't change the poor results of the past but they can change team culture that should get better future results.
Since 05 it's been all talk and no action....from now on its going to be the other way round. The loyal fans need more action, more wins and less disappointments.
Nice one.

Nutz

Bench
Marshall and Morris are signed til 2027. However my understanding is Farah and Heighington are only signed for this year....is that right?
Were they just carry over assistants from Sheens gig that were spared and Furner not.
I'm wondering if those two will go if this year doesn't reach the club's expectations.
I thought with Benji's lack of experience that there would be no room for further inexperienced assistant coaches...Thoughts

Nutz

Bench
Wouldnt mind if Robbie goes, i could be wrong but i feel his ego may create issues at some point , particularly if on field results arent going well.
I get you, both Benji and Robbie have red personalities [alpha male] which can lead to probs. It's why Fulton had to go imo.
Morris on the other hand is different and should be a good assistant.
I always thought Gareth Ellis would make a good forwards coach/motivator. If he was coaching me I'd jump off bridges for him....no higher than 3ft though :)

WA Tiger

Bench
Benjis far from an alpha male.. check the river rafting vid again. “Nothing wrong with girlie screams” this is a sensitive new age coach who will create an environment the players will thrive on. I’d bet on a “surprise for everyone”season if I can get signed on to the tab before the first game..I think The one thing Benji needs to do is unlock the trick of dealing with the emotional toll of being in charge of 30 odd players and 3 coaches . Hopefully Bennets got some good advice there

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
I dont really get having Robbie there apart from being the onfield trainer and i dont believe any possible problems would be so much to do with his ego as simply his temperament ...he was a helluva competititor but a terrible captain...things would go bad and he'd just stand off by himself staring at the ground then make himself unapproachable for a day or two...if he still has that in his system he'll bring the mood down real quick. He may very well be a good attack coach but I hope he's lost the sulking when things go pear-shaped...only leaders will work for us then.

General Stripes

Juniors
I dont really get having Robbie there apart from being the onfield trainer and i dont believe any possible problems would be so much to do with his ego as simply his temperament ...he was a helluva competititor but a terrible captain...things would go bad and he'd just stand off by himself staring at the ground then make himself unapproachable for a day or two...if he still has that in his system he'll bring the mood down real quick. He may very well be a good attack coach but I hope he's lost the sulking when things go pear-shaped...only leaders will work for us then.
Disagree with this, was a great Captain, put u on his back and lead from the front.

Das Hassler

Bench
Disagree with this, was a great Captain, put u on his back and lead from the front.

Yes he did all of that plus more as a player....I remember him making 60 tackles in SOO for near zero misses) but by his own admission after a club loss ( as captain) he felt "so shit" he just didn't want to talk to anybody...sometimes for days. Well that made him the tough competitor but we needed more than that from a captain ...e.g. Hodgson..Prince also gave everything but also " kept their heads while everyone around them were losing their's"

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Yes he did all of that plus more as a player....I remember him making 60 tackles in SOO for near zero misses) but by his own admission after a club loss ( as captain) he felt "so shit" he just didn't want to talk to anybody...sometimes for days. Well that made him the tough competitor but we needed more than that from a captain ...e.g. Hodgson..Prince also gave everything but also " kept their heads while everyone around them were losing their's"
"When the going gets tough, the tough get going"
I always respected a Captain who did less shouting but did more action. Make three tackles in a row and forced an error and made the first hit up after he chatted with the lads.
You cant hide when your leading is my moto.
I'd follow someone like Gareth Ellis off a cliff if I had to.

Nutz

Bench
2024 Pathways Coaches:

Wests Magpies NSW Cup - Aaron Payne
dsc_9621.jpg

Payne joins the club as head coach of Wests Magpies NSW Cup team.
The former Cowboys hooker has a wealth of coaching experience which he gained following a stellar career as a player. Payne was North Queensland Cowboys academy coach, and NYC head coach before spending four seasons as head coach of the Townsville Blackhawks in the Queensland Cup.

Head CoachAaron Payne
Assistant CoachTBC
Assistant Coach/TrainerShannon Gallant
PhysioJay McGuinness
PhysioNathan Hamilton
Strength & ConditioningMark Mamo
ManagerWarren Hamilton

Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Cup (U19s) - Leon Latulipe

Leon joins the club from Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles where he was Jersey Flegg Cup head coach last season and brings plenty of experience to the role. He was also an assistant coach of South Sydney’s premiership-winning Jersey Flegg Cup team in 2019.

Balmain Harold Matthews Cup (Under 17s) - Tony Bazouni

Tony will make his debut as a head coach after working with the club in various assistant and trainer roles, with both Balmain and Wests Tigers (Jersey Flegg) over the past nine years.

Balmain SG Ball Cup (U19s) - Chris Yates

Chris rejoins Wests Tigers and brings with him more than 12 years of coaching experience. He guided Wentworthville Magpies to a premiership in the Ron Massey Cup in 2017, more recently coaching Group 6 side Narellan Jets and Windsor Wolves.

Cup (U16s) - Harrison Fox

Harrison is transitioning from an assistant coach of Wests Harold Matthews side to head coach of Macarthur Wests Tigers Andrew Johns Cup team.

Macarthur Wests Tigers – Laurie Dailey Cup (U18s) – Mitchell Tyler

Mitchell is also transitioning into a head coach role, after much hard work as an assistant coach with Wests SG Ball team.

Lisa Fiaola Cup (Women’s U17s) - Scott Clark

Scott joins Wests Tigers after coaching the Toongabbie Tigers U18 girl’s side last season. He has been involved in Parramatta Eels’ pathways programs for many years and also has experience with Samoa’s national junior programs.

Tarsha Gale Cup (Women’s U19s) - Adel Hage

Adel has been in Wests Tigers program since 2019 and coached the club’s Harvey Norman Women’s team to premiership glory in 2022. Adel was an asset to the club in its inaugural NRLW season and will play a key role in developing future NRLW players in years to come.

Last edited:
Wouldnt mind if Robbie goes, i could be wrong but i feel his ego may create issues at some point , particularly if on field results arent going well.
I see Robbie moving into the front office at some point. I feel his stint in the coaching ranks is to get a managerial look at how the football department runs. Will be useful if he has a role as CFO/CEO/GM of footy.