What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers shift east

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
The only team with West in their name. Homebush is in the West and the Tigers move East.

Gallop can this game and it's situations get anymore comical under your guidence of the NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
What has this got to do with Gallop...???

Arguably, poor TV deal is forcing clubs to play in unsuitable stadiums due to financial pressures, no lobbying for a decent shared RL stadium in the West, lack of leadership in bringing clubs together to look at the afore mentioned joint stadium, just for starters!

typicalfan

Coach
i think this has more to do with the bad atmosphere at homebush and the NRLs apparent dissatisfaction with the ground. the SFS is harder to get too for most of the west but the ground is better for club football

In-goal

Bench
I think it's a positive move for the Tigers, Cambletown is hardly the hub of RL some would have you believe as we always see plenty of space out their.

I think the Tigers can average above 20K at the SFS.

Loudstrat

Coach
My point is, and this is what people seem to ignore, is that it's time to treat this venture as a club in it's own right.

What we've been doing has, and continues to fail.

Sure it would be a shame to lose places like LO to top-flight football, but as it is, it's not a sustainable option, let alone a marker for success. On a side note - I think it would be lovely to have Wests and Balmain playing in a fully fledged and viable 2nd tier competition utilising older grounds to provide a certain footy experience which is rapidly becoming unsustainable at the top level.

Any decent fan would have travelled to Campbelltown for our big/important/winning games over the years. What I'm hoping for is to cut a large amount of the travel factor out of such a prospect and provide a culture of success such as at clubs like the Broncos so that every game is a big game.

This will obviously mean bringing in new staff to promote our memberships above the levels achieved by the WA Reds in Jim Beam Cup and a coach who can actually achieve consistent success in the salary cap era.

Good common sense in that post. Yes, it has always acted like a JV, but now suddenly bedomes a single venture?

I think generally the Tigers have been a sucess - the 05 presmiership is the proof.

I also think their secret is the JV aspect. A strong Tigers IMHO is the most essentail ingredient in Rugby League. Their potential support is massive - again we saw that on 05. They could easily become the first side to average 30k for each home game at ANZ.

The Tigers survive because they are effectively a one team town side for Balmain/Ryde, and a one team town side for Campbelltown/Liverpool. That is, the old 3-3-6 split between Leichhardt, Campbelltown and Homsbush meant they could market games as an event - three games a year - at CT and LO. Homebush is between them, perfectly suited to attract fans of both parent clubs.

The move to the SFS destroys that.

I'd love to see what League looks like if Wests were as strong as the Chooks or Dogs usually are.

I also thoink that plonking 2 other sides at ANZ takes a lot away from the place. It worked with the Dogs and Tigers as tennents. 4 of them, nope.

The Business

Juniors
If logistics are the main concern then the SFS is the best option for them. The greater west of Sydney needs a quality stadium without a doubt.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Good call. Next time you visit Parramatta Stadium, park at Lidcombe.

Hence the need for hospitals, ambulances, surgeons, cemeteries, panel beaters..........

LOL at someone called "Save the children" extolling the values of running in front of traffic on Elizabeth St and Anzac Parade. Dickhead.
Save the Children is a sarcastic dig at the Wests Tigers tiresome do-gooder philosopher, while neglecting football. They can run the little fuc#Kers over for all I care!

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
In one post you fail to recognise I'm suggesting one ground.

In your next you called someone else the stupidest poster on the forum. :?

No really! You've been carrying on with that shi@#t for how long? It's called sarcasm. You really do need to stop taking yourself seriously, no one else does!

Last edited:

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
I'm going to get lesson from STC (STD?) on how to converse in dumbf**k.

Then we can continue arguing.
Life be in it! Today, live more of your life!

Go for a walk - EA. You can do it. The first step is admitting you have a problem. I understand you are hard hit with the obesity epidemic out West. Could there be yet another savethechildren marketing angle for the Wests Tiges!

How about: We moved to the SFS so the fat westies like EA get some exercise. We estimate to have added 5 years of life to 3.2% of the people in the macarthur region.

westie

Bench
No really! You've been carrying on with that shi@#t for how long? It's called sarcasm. You really do need to stop taking yourself seriously, no one else does!

I don't see the sarcasm? It just seems stupid. Not funny. Nor witty. Just dull. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed your rants. Mostly when you weren't trying to be funny though. You should probably go back to that.

I thought I'd been quite jolly lately, as opposed to overly serious. The thought of old men timing themselves getting up the hill to the SFS in rnd 1 has had me chuckling quite a bit in the past day or two.

Life be in it! Today, live more of your life!

Go for a walk - EA. You can do it. The first step is admitting you have a problem. I understand you are hard hit with the obesity epidemic out West. Could there be yet another savethechildren marketing angle for the Wests Tiges!

How about: We moved to the SFS so the fat westies like EA get some exercise. We estimate to have added 5 years of life to 3.2% of the people in the macarthur region.

Who are you again?

Save the children?

For what, yourself?

Bluebags1908

Juniors
How dumb.... they should be called the Easts Tigers now.

Only in Rugby League you would have Souths playing West at homebush and Wests playing East at SFS.

Both teams are gypsies. They should swap grounds. Homebush Rabbitohs vs Easts Tigers.

Souths crap on about how great it is that they are returning to Redfern Oval for their training and pre season trial games and how great their Leagues club is going to be after renovations and how it's great for the local community but they play at ANZ?

Wests Tigers should have 5 games at Campbelltown, 5 games at Leichhardt and 2 games at Concord Oval. Concord Oval is in the original Wests Magpies home district and the Magpies played at the ground going back to 1910/1920's when it used to be St. Luke's Oval. Wests Magpies were based in the inner West from 1908 up until 1986 as they played at St. Luke's Oval, then Pratten Park Ashfield, and then Lidcombe Oval before they move to Campbelltown in 1987. And best of all with the merger the 'old' Wests Magpies territory borders the Balmain district. Haberfield is Balmain territory and if you literally walk across the other side of Parramatta Road you are in Ashfield which is Wests Magpies. And Concord Oval is 2 minutes drive up the road. They can re-claim Burwood/Strathfield/Ashfield as their turf. And they still have a Leagues club at Ashfield. And their admin and training is currently based at Concord Oval.

What a basket case this club is.

Teddyboy

First Grade
How dumb.... they should be called the Easts Tigers now.

Only in Rugby League you would have Souths playing West at homebush and Wests playing East at SFS.

Both teams are gypsies. They should swap grounds. Homebush Rabbitohs vs Easts Tigers.

Souths crap on about how great it is that they are returning to Redfern Oval for their training and pre season trial games and how great their Leagues club is going to be after renovations and how it's great for the local community but they play at ANZ?

Wests Tigers should have 5 games at Campbelltown, 5 games at Leichhardt and 2 games at Concord Oval. Concord Oval is in the original Wests Magpies home district and the Magpies played at the ground going back to 1910/1920's when it used to be St. Luke's Oval. Wests Magpies were based in the inner West from 1908 up until 1986 as they played at St. Luke's Oval, then Pratten Park Ashfield, and then Lidcombe Oval before they move to Campbelltown in 1987. And best of all with the merger the 'old' Wests Magpies territory borders the Balmain district. Haberfield is Balmain territory and if you literally walk across the other side of Parramatta Road you are in Ashfield which is Wests Magpies. And Concord Oval is 2 minutes drive up the road. They can re-claim Burwood/Strathfield/Ashfield as their turf. And they still have a Leagues club at Ashfield. And their admin and training is currently based at Concord Oval.

What a basket case this club is.

Good post man.

Latest posts