What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Westworld

Tommy Smith

Referee
Deadwood is amazing. AMAZING.

The acting and writing are the f**king bomb.

Ian McShane's Al Swearengen and Brad Dourif's Doc Cochran make the show compelling viewing on their own.

T-Boon

Coach
I have watched it in its entirety about 8 times now. There's a lot going on so it's a bit hard to keep track of especially as you are trying to figure out what they are saying because the language is so Elizabethan!

fokin cock suck'r.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I haven't been able to get into it yet. It really feels similar to the likes of Lost and Walking Dead, grinder episodes with little plot progression, designed to be a 5 or more season show. Has its moments, but I already feel it is probably a show that is better served to watch a season in quick succession instead of on a weekly basis.

Has a lot of potential as a concept and can see it being really interesting once things actually turn to shit, but I'm not a fan of the pacing at the moment. Ed Harris' character is just about the only one that is interesting at this point.

elyod138

Bench
I can't see the comparisons to The Walking Dead at all.

There's been a significant amount of plot progression and character development in each episode, if you don't see it you aren't paying attention.

So far it's been a speculative fiction masterclass. If you're expecting it to focus on fast paced action, you're watching the wrong show.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I can't see the comparisons to The Walking Dead at all.

There's been a significant amount of plot progression and character development in each episode, if you don't see it you aren't paying attention.

So far it's been a speculative fiction masterclass. If you're expecting it to focus on fast paced action, you're watching the wrong show.
Typical, respond with... If you don't like it, you simply don't understand it.

I actually enjoy plenty of slow burner shows. This one just hasn't been particularly great to date, it's clearly designed for a 5 or 6 season run, trying to maximize time instead of telling it in the most effective way possible. I haven't written it off, it just hasn't grabbed me yet. It's merely a decent show, it's far from a masterclass. Anthony Hopkins character annoys me the most, he's every stereotypical creator that we've seen hundreds of times before in movies.

I've enjoyed Quarry which started 2 weeks earlier far more than Westworld to date.

Last edited:

elyod138

Bench
Typical, respond with... If you don't like it, you simply don't understand it.

I actually enjoy plenty of slow burner shows. This one just hasn't been particularly great to date, it's clearly designed for a 5 or 6 season run, trying to maximize time instead of telling it in the most effective way possible. I haven't written it off, it just hasn't grabbed me yet. It's merely a decent show, it's far from a masterclass. I've enjoyed Quarry which started 2 weeks earlier far more than Westworld to date.
Do you read much sci fi? I wasn't trying to be condescending with my response, I can't think of many big shows that have entered the cultural zeitgeist that stay true to the form of literary sci fi, it's a different kind of experience to what most people are used to.

The focus is on exploring themes and asking questions to make you think, rather than getting from A to B in the story. Most of the progression we see will be within the characters.

I think there'll be a healthy of dose of action and big moments but the focus will remain on the internal struggles of the characters.

Stewbum

Juniors
The Walking Dead is a computer game set to television. It's a fun ride of action amidst cliched storylines and holes in the plot you could drive a truck through. My inner child enjoys it though. Westworld is a character-driven story with a sci-fy bent. The action is just to reinforce the crudity of humankind in its abasement of whatever these 'things' are or evolving into.

Stewbum

Juniors
Agree Stew. Loving this show. Haven't watched Deadwood, so may grab all those to catch up.
You're in for a treat. If you have kids make sure they're asleep because if I recall there's about 47 f-bombs in the first 2 minutes. Those c**ksuckers have turned it into an art-form.

Aragorn

First Grade
Me saying it reminded me of walking dead with the brainless zombies wasnt neccesarily a knock on the series. I actually enjoy walking dead and have enjoyed the last 3 ep of Westworld thus far.

However, dont you feel theres sort of an emptiness with all these robots, similar with the zombie theme? At the end where the host was trying to get out of the hole, and was put to "sleep" then suddenly coming to life - it looked like a scene straight out of walking dead, blood guts and all.

The theme looks like its trying to touch on robots having a life like conscious, obviously nothing like walking dead, but i cant help but feel a disconnect with these hosts, similar to zombies in walking dead.

Am i making sense?

Stewbum

Juniors
Me saying it reminded me of walking dead with the brainless zombies wasnt neccesarily a knock on the series. I actually enjoy walking dead and have enjoyed the last 3 ep of Westworld thus far.

However, dont you feel theres sort of an emptiness with all these robots, similar with the zombie theme? At the end where the host was trying to get out of the hole, and was put to "sleep" then suddenly coming to life - it looked like a scene straight out of walking dead, blood guts and all.

The theme looks like its trying to touch on robots having a life like conscious, obviously nothing like walking dead, but i cant help but feel a disconnect with these hosts, similar to zombies in walking dead.

Am i making sense?
Perfect sense. I can see where you're coming from but I can't agree. Westworld is about life through the eyes of both the 'hosts' and the humans. The Walking Dead has not delved deeply into the walkers, lest they need to write something intelligent. The walkers are no longer important to the show. They just turn up when the tortured writing needs to off someone or add a touch of drama for the plot. Granted, upon reflection, that scene you described had some of the cheesy traits of TWD. It was however, again, to give a glimpse of the tyranny of 'life' as a host. More's the pity he didn't rub out that foul-mouthed woman who cheapens the show. Westworld is about the emerging humanity of the hosts. The walkers give nothing.

elyod138

Bench

Am i making sense?
Yeah, I just didn't know what you were referring to, thought you might have been talking about Wyatt's men and that attack in the dark when you mentioned zombies.

They are playing up the disconnect in many ways, I think this will contrast with certain hosts becoming self aware and more human. For me, the disconnect with Dolores and Maeve has been diminishing as they've started to remember things.

I've read some speculation that the maze could be a test of consciousness. It makes sense that it would be some forgotten part of the park that Arnold created in his pursuits. The preview for next week shows some dialogue with Bernard and Dolores talking about the maze.

Aragorn

First Grade
To add, do you guys feel a certain sense of mellon collie after watching it? its not like GoT where your adrenaline is pumping and you're thinking "shit that was crazy good, i need to watch that again!", or even with "stranger things" where its full of nostalgia and you have a sense of liking for the characters.

I guess it will develop and progress but i'm struggling to relate to any of these characters - least of all Dolores.

And the whats with the black suit guy - is he a metaphor for something? sounds like he's played the game so many times and now looking to unlock the "hidden" doors but there must be more to it than that.