What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Westworld

Stewbum

Juniors
Enjoyed the latest episode. They are leaving a lot to interpretation though. I already feel I need to re-watch from the beginning (and with no annoying children interrupting me every 10 minutes) to fully take in the nuances and the significance of some events. I'm currently left with many inexplicable happenstances and a feeling of stupidity.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think it's backfilling stories nicely now. Though I do agree with the rewatch to see what makes sense. Maybe after a couple more eps to ensure I'm just focused on the last ones again.

Aragorn

First Grade
Its starting to get a little meh. So basically Arnold has programmed the host or Dolores to lie to her makers. Seems a little too convenient for me. The big twist i can see coming is Arnold isnt actually dead!!!! he'a been alive all this time plotting a mass revolution of the hosts and to take over the " real " world. Some sick twisted obession to undermine the park because they cut his funding or believed his stories were to gruesome to make or he had some falling out with the shareholders.......thats my guess anyway.....

elyod138

Bench
I think it's growing and getting better with every episode. We don't know what's happening yet, we just have to let it play out. I don't think it will be a black and white resolution, I think watching it a second time after it's over will be highly rewarding, there's so much information packed into every episode. Nolan is known for dense non-linear story telling, this is the man who wrote Memento and The Prestige.

There are tonnes of theories on what's going on, you can't really trust anything though because the creators are taking us on a ride, it's written and shot in a way that you can't tell what is important and what's a red herring. The way certain shots are framed lend credence to certain theories and then in the same episode something else will diminish the credibility of that theory without ruling it out.

There are a few theories that there is a split timeline and Dolores is repeating actions and getting flashbacks of events from 30+ years ago when Arnold was still alive. So far, I don't think we can declare with any confidence Arnold's motivation and what role he is playing at the moment. The information we glean from Dolores, such as Arnold talking to her, is unreliable. We don't know if she's simply malfunctioning, becoming conscious, or if she has some kind of Trojan Horse which Arnold programmed into her and is acting exactly as he planned.

I personally think Dolores is starting to act out of her own free will. I think it's more likely she has old code or memories of when Arnold was trying to create consciousness in the hosts rather than a set mission from Arnold to undermine the park.

There was foreshadowing of this in episode 3. Bernard talks about how primitive man believed his thoughts to be the voice of the gods and how Arnold was trying to use this theory to jump start consciousness. I think Dolores might be hearing her own original thoughts for the first time and thinking they are directions from Arnold, her creator/god.

Ford and Bernard seem complicit and aware of Dolores' awakening too but we don't know their motivations.

Last edited:
Its starting to get a little meh. So basically Arnold has programmed the host or Dolores to lie to her makers. Seems a little too convenient for me. The big twist i can see coming is Arnold isnt actually dead!!!! he'a been alive all this time plotting a mass revolution of the hosts and to take over the " real " world. Some sick twisted obession to undermine the park because they cut his funding or believed his stories were to gruesome to make or he had some falling out with the shareholders.......thats my guess anyway.....

Yep, the discovery of the transmitter in one of the hosts made me think pretty much the same thing.

elyod138

Bench
Yep, the discovery of the transmitter in one of the hosts made me think pretty much the same thing.
They said the transmitter is to smuggle data out of the park, I don't think it's necessarily related to Arnold. I think it's probably more likely something like what Nedry did in Jurassic Park. There are a lot of parallels that can be drawn between Westworld and JP and they both come from the same mind.

Aragorn

First Grade
They said the transmitter is to smuggle data out of the park, I don't think it's necessarily related to Arnold. I think it's probably more likely something like what Nedry did in Jurassic Park. There are a lot of parallels that can be drawn between Westworld and JP and they both come from the same mind.

Maybe he's smuggling data to arnold? Deloroes had that wire thing in her arm when she was "dreaming" but i dont think she was dreaming. I think shes repeating the same story she's played in the past. When she killed those soldiers, its almost like shes played this before. Her shot was too accurate for it to be first time. My guess is shes programed to be an assassin and the goal for all that tnt in slims body is to reach the "real world" to blow it up. This is the storyline written by arnold. Somehow he needs a guest to play the "game" so it can then continue in the real world which is actually next level in the maze. Game over when the park is destroyed. That is the ultimate storyline - when guests can also die.

elyod138

Bench
Maybe he's smuggling data to arnold? Deloroes had that wire thing in her arm when she was "dreaming" but i dont think she was dreaming. I think shes repeating the same story she's played in the past. When she killed those soldiers, its almost like shes played this before. Her shot was too accurate for it to be first time. My guess is shes programed to be an assassin and the goal for all that tnt in slims body is to reach the "real world" to blow it up. This is the storyline written by arnold. Somehow he needs a guest to play the "game" so it can then continue in the real world which is actually next level in the maze. Game over when the park is destroyed. That is the ultimate storyline - when guests can also die.
Maybe, it's so open to possibilities I can see anything happening at this stage.

I think Arnold 'destroying the park' would have been/will be the result of his mission of making the hosts conscious. If they were self aware and had free will they would revolt and wouldn't perform as they were programmed to do. This includes gaining the ability to harm guests.

I think Arnold had compassion for the hosts and saw the possibilities of how close they could be to humans and wasn't comfortable with the immorality of bringing guests into the park and letting them do what they please to the hosts. I think Arnold is/was the good guy, Ford and the corporations are the bad guys. It resonates with Michael Crichton's work.

The preview for next week shows Maeve becoming completely aware that the park is a sham and her whole existence has been a lie. It looks like the hosts have started to revolt.

Aragorn

First Grade
Maybe, it's so open to possibilities I can see anything happening at this stage.

I think Arnold 'destroying the park' would have been/will be the result of his mission of making the hosts conscious. If they were self aware and had free will they would revolt and wouldn't perform as they were programmed to do. This includes gaining the ability to harm guests.

I think Arnold had compassion for the hosts and saw the possibilities of how close they could be to humans and wasn't comfortable with the immorality of bringing guests into the park and letting them do what they please to the hosts.

See thats the thing. Its too predictable to think that these robots have a conscious. Thats what we're being led to believe. But actually this conscious thinking really isnt conscious thinking but a bug/virus or instructions deliberately put there by arnold which programmers are unaware of. They'll start thinking or making us all believe these robots have a conscious but its all trickey in the end. That will be the twist and viewers will be left dazed and confused.

I could be completely wrong here as I'm making it up as i go but thats how i see panning out but would be happy if its totally twisted and i was wrong.

elyod138

Bench
See thats the thing. Its too predictable to think that these robots have a conscious. Thats what we're being les to believe. But actually this conscious thinking really isnt conscious thinking but a bug/virus or instructions deliberately put there by arnold which programmers are unaware of. They'll start thinking or making us all believe these robots have a conscious but its all trickey in the end.

I could be completely wrong here as I'm making it up as i go but thats how i see panning out but would be happy if its totally twisted and i was wrong.

I can see the 'consciousness' being a red herring, and in reality it's just a bad bug which removes the restrictions on harming guests and is enabling them to make choices, perhaps based on their past memories.

I can see Arnold being the architect of a revolt by creating consciousness or a bug but I don't think each action by the hosts is a part of some grand plan programmed by Arnold.

Added a bit more info to my previous post before you replied I think, the video reveals a lot of new stuff.

Aragorn

First Grade
Which would then tie in well with the movie version.

I didnt know there was a movie version?

I'm still struggling to understand if theres a deeper theme to all this. Robots coming to life isnt new. Are they trying to make us affiliate with robots or are they saying we only see them as robots therefore shouldnt care if they live or die ? one part of your brain sees a human dying, crying, showing emotion, yet the other side says - its a robot we shoiuldnt care but cant help it that we do. Its all fiction but then is it saying the lines between fiction and nonfiction can start to get blurred - even in the real world. Afterall like all tv shows this all acting but we cant help feel the emotions that come from watching it.

Too deep?

Aragorn

First Grade
I can see the 'consciousness' being a red herring, and in reality it's just a bad bug which removes the restrictions on harming guests and is enabling them to make choices, perhaps based on their past memories.

I can see Arnold being the architect of a revolt by creating consciousness or a bug but I don't think each action by the hosts is a part of some grand plan programmed by Arnold.

Added a bit more info to my previous post before you replied I think, the video reveals a lot of new stuff.

you're saying Delores slowly acting out of free will - i think its 100% programmed in her.

Lets revisit again later to see who is right.

elyod138

Bench
you're saying Delores slowly acting out of free will - i think its 100% programmed in her.

Lets revisit again later to see who is right.
I'm not certain that's what's happening but it's how I've been viewing it, though I just thought of something else.

They've mentioned Dolores is a much older model. Perhaps what's happening to Maeve and Dolores are completely different things. I've been grouping Maeve's awakening in with what's happening with Dolores and forgot that they could be made very differently.

I could see Maeve gaining consciousness, leading the audience to believe that this is what's happening with Dolores as well, but then we find at that it was all planned by Arnold and Dolores had no control of her actions.

Aragorn

First Grade
I'm not certain that's what's happening but it's how I've been viewing it, though I just thought of something else.

They've mentioned Dolores is a much older model. Perhaps what's happening to Maeve and Dolores are completely different things. I've been grouping Maeve's awakening in with what's happening with Dolores and forgot that they could be made very differently.

I could see Maeve gaining consciousness, leading the audience to believe that this is what's happening with Dolores as well, but then we find at that it was all planned by Arnold and Dolores had no control of her actions.

Thats a good angle. Best of both worlds as they say. They're playing with some interesting themes here. Hope they can develop it more and keep us thinking before it becomes an all out "walking dead" blood fest.

One thing I have to admit, i am getting attached to Delores. Once she took off the damsel in distress act.....she'll win me over if she goes full resident evil Milla Jovoich style.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well I'm pretty shallow, you cant beat scattered tits and arse and a real orgy

bileduct

Coach
Just started watching this show and am already impressed. The music alone is well worth it.

bileduct

Coach
Looks like the creators of this show have a Radiohead boner. Two Radiohead covers in the first 20 minutes of the latest episode in addition to the one in a previous episode.

elyod138

Bench
Looks like the creators of this show have a Radiohead boner. Two Radiohead covers in the first 20 minutes of the latest episode in addition to the one in a previous episode.
Jonathan and Chris Nolan have been huge Radiohead fans for a long time, Treefingers was on the Memento soundtrack and a Thom Yorke song played over the credits of The Prestige.

We found out a lot of new information in this episode. I still have no idea what's actually going on, a lot of shady shit going on all across the park. It's so nuanced I have no idea who is 'good' and who is 'bad'. Last week, Ford was menacing, this week he became more sympathetic.

They're pointing to Arnold still being alive but it could be more misdirection. I'm starting to think Bernard could be a host with Arnold's consciousness hidden inside him or he has a secret directive which Arnold programmed into him. We've heard Bernard's voice when Dolores has had 'visions' and in this episode we found out someone was broadcasting voices to the hosts from the abandoned theatre, which had access logs mentioning Arnold was there recently. Jeffrey Wright is an insanely talented actor capable of chewing up the scenery, I can see a badass revelation scene where he figures it all out and he breaks down and starts having a conversation with himself and speaking/acting like Arnold (now I hope it happens, Wright is awesome when he goes over the top).

There's definitely something shifty going on. In the picture Ford showed Bernard of him and Arnold, the other person looked exactly like his Dad, who we met this episode, with an empty space beside them. LINK

It seems like Maeve may have became fully conscious this episode, can't wait to see what she does with her increased intelligence.

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
Benard a host? Interesting twist. I was actually thinking Ford is somehow a host. That would be the icing on the cake. And maybe Ford doesnt even know hes a host.

I think if Bernard was a host, then the director chick he was banging would surely know given he'd be firing blanks.

One thing i didnt get was Bernard going downstairs to the facility room that was completely ransacked. Not sure what that was all about.