What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Westworld

Medium Rare

Juniors
Not really a spoiler but i doubt Ford is dead. I reckon he built a host to make that speech. No way he gets Delores to kill him and not be around to witness the aftermath of his creation.

A good thing about these hosts is they can "die" just like humans so they're not invincible like the terminator.

Its an even playing field.

Roll on S2.... Dolores goes from Damsel in distress to murder killing bitch. Thats quite a turn around.

Anthony Hopkins is 78. I think Ford is dead.

vvvrulz

Coach
Great series and brilliant climax, the show dragged a bit early on but the payoffs are more than worth it.

I'm glad it finished with a bit of closure, yes there's loose threads and a set up but the series can exist on it's own. Very well done.

Shorty

Staff member
Anthony Hopkins is 78. I think Ford is dead.
Not to mention Hopkins being in the show himself, I expected him to be knocked off at any minute lol.

The plot twists in this show are fantastic, the finale was flawless.
I just hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as 'Rome' as I'm guessing it costs a fair bit to produce.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
My only issue with the final ep was the company security guards going to the Imperial Stormtrooper academy of shooting

Stop, find cover and aim you dumb arses

vvvrulz

Coach
My only issue with the final ep was the company security guards going to the Imperial Stormtrooper academy of shooting

Stop, find cover and aim you dumb arses

I gotta admit that was really annoying, having no apparent contingency plan for hosts going rogue in the lab like that. You would have thought they would program a stronger safeword / key / shutdown command at least which the hosts would have no control over.

One could argue they're also hosts and it's all part of the script, but meh

elyod138

Bench
I gotta admit that was really annoying, having no apparent contingency plan for hosts going rogue in the lab like that. You would have thought they would program a stronger safeword / key / shutdown command at least which the hosts would have no control over.

One could argue they're also hosts and it's all part of the script, but meh
The shutdown command only didn't work because Ford changed Maeve's code and instructed her to do the same to the other rogue hosts. All of Maeve's plot was set up and designed by Ford as a distraction so he could pull off his new story.

I didn't have much of a problem with the security being incompetent, they most likely never had to deal with an incident before and were possibly never trained properly. Sure, it could have been executed a little differently to not look so silly (I didn't even notice it on the first run, I was too busy gleefully watching the hosts be Terminators), but this type of thing is a normal Michael Crichton theme. Humanity nonchalantly play god and something goes wrong and they're found to be extremely out of their depth and unprepared for the ramifications of what they've created. Crichton's Westworld was like a first draft run of Jurassic Park.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
The shutdown command only didn't work because Ford changed Maeve's code and instructed her to do the same to the other rogue hosts. All of Maeve's plot was set up and designed by Ford as a distraction so he could pull off his new story.

I worded that poorly, yes I did pick up on that but I find it hard to believe Ford would let innocent staff get gunned down like that. I meant more like, surely there must be some electronic weapon designed to quickly shut down circuitry / power sources.

Although I do like your idea of complacency.

Timbo

Staff member

I didn't have much of a problem with the security being incompetent, they most likely never had to deal with an incident before and were possibly never trained properly. Sure, it could have been executed a little differently to not look so silly (I didn't even notice it on the first run, I was too busy gleefully watching the hosts be Terminators), but this type of thing is a normal Michael Crichton theme. Humanity nonchalantly play god and something goes wrong and they're found to be extremely out of their depth and unprepared for the ramifications of what they've created. Crichton's Westworld was like a first draft run of Jurassic Park.

Yeah, you can see that exact thing in the Jurassic Park book (and to a lesser extent, the film) after the dinosaurs get loose there is an extended chapter where Muldoon laments that virtually none of the weapons he has are effective against dinosaurs because Hammond never thought they'd get loose, and if they did they'd be easy to control.

Mankinds hubris is what Crichton is all about.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Binge watched in a day, just wow! Think it would be better as one episode a week though, so you have time to process everything.

The finale was simply one of the best telivision episodes ever. I have not stopped reading Internet discussions and I'm amazed by the so many differing theories.
A theory getting around is that ford in his later years felt guilty over arnorlds death, and only then initiated the process for consciousness in the host. I believe that is wrong, i believe both arnold and ford where working on human consciousness. But both men had differing opinions on how it worked. Arnold's pyramid/maze had 3 steps/loops, memory, improv, inner monologue then consciousness at the top/middle of the maze. Fords pyramid/maze had an extra step, suffering. I feel arnold was trying to create consciousness without the suffering, which is why he was fustrated when dolares couldn't make the final step. Knowing that suffering was the final key he wanted the whole project shut down. He didn't want to create a race of beings that suffered like he had with the death of his son, and not only that they would suffer but because of their immortality there would be no end to their suffering. That's why he had Dolores massacre all the hosts, he would rather they not exists then exists with the pain he had from the death of his son.
Ford new they had to suffer, which is why he wanted the theme park to go ahead. He could get funds and time to perfect the hosts. This would also give the hosts time to suffer at the hands of human. They would also see the violence and hate in our nature and learn from our mistakes. This was certainly helped by people like william. That's why he kept the mazes in the game, that's why he didn't demolishes delored home town, instead he buried it, so when the time was right, and they had suffered enough it would trigger them into consciousness and evolve into a higher life form then us

Stewbum

Juniors
Binge watched in a day, just wow! Think it would be better as one episode a week though, so you have time to process everything.

The finale was simply one of the best telivision episodes ever. I have not stopped reading Internet discussions and I'm amazed by the so many differing theories.
A theory getting around is that ford in his later years felt guilty over arnorlds death, and only then initiated the process for consciousness in the host. I believe that is wrong, i believe both arnold and ford where working on human consciousness. But both men had differing opinions on how it worked. Arnold's pyramid/maze had 3 steps/loops, memory, improv, inner monologue then consciousness at the top/middle of the maze. Fords pyramid/maze had an extra step, suffering. I feel arnold was trying to create consciousness without the suffering, which is why he was fustrated when dolares couldn't make the final step. Knowing that suffering was the final key he wanted the whole project shut down. He didn't want to create a race of beings that suffered like he had with the death of his son, and not only that they would suffer but because of their immortality there would be no end to their suffering. That's why he had Dolores massacre all the hosts, he would rather they not exists then exists with the pain he had from the death of his son.
Ford new they had to suffer, which is why he wanted the theme park to go ahead. He could get funds and time to perfect the hosts. This would also give the hosts time to suffer at the hands of human. They would also see the violence and hate in our nature and learn from our mistakes. This was certainly helped by people like william. That's why he kept the mazes in the game, that's why he didn't demolishes delored home town, instead he buried it, so when the time was right, and they had suffered enough it would trigger them into consciousness and evolve into a higher life form then us
An insightful theory and wonderful read. Thank you.

elyod138

Bench
I'm on my first re-watch, it's a rewarding experience - filled with foreshadowing.

Looking forward to the finale tonight.

Stewbum

Juniors
I'm on my first re-watch, it's a rewarding experience - filled with foreshadowing.

Looking forward to the finale tonight.
I would have already rewatched but despite agreeing to do so my dear lady wife is somewhat prone to prefer watching bad tv once than good tv twice.

Only worthy thing on the box apart from Cricket of late has been the BBC production of Victoria. Quite excellent. Roped our 11yo into it too.