What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a great tackle by Beaver!

CharlieF

Juniors
Was ruined by an over zealous referee who even had the gaul to put him on report. Nothing illegal in it. The one by Kylie Leului on Steve price was even better. What a bell-ringer. Price had to take a break for the rest of the match after that hit.

humpy

Juniors
I agree, but with Morley charged for basically the exact same tackle, it will be interesting to see what the joke of a judiciary comes up with tomorrow.

Iafeta

Referee
He'll be on a charge for sure.

The rules have changed this year, contact with the head is a no-no. He hit him with an elbow to the jaw. Not too dissimiliar to the Morley charge, where most people on here were up in arms that he wasn't sent. The only real difference is Ah Van was able to get up.

His good record will see him available for the next round.

CharlieF

Juniors
Morley shoulder charged walker in the head. First and last point of contact was in the head. I,m not even sure if Beaver even touched the other players head. It was a great tackle and it would be embarrasing for the judiciary if Beaver actually is mentioned come charges time.

Iafeta

Referee
OPSM?

Not sure if he touched the other blokes head? Been drinking the happy juice?

Elbow to the jaw. No other contact made from Menzies.

Grade 1-2 careless, guilty plea, will play next weekend.

humpy

Juniors
Morley shoulder charged walker in the head. First and last point of contact was in the head. I,m not even sure if Beaver even touched the other players head. It was a great tackle and it would be embarrasing for the judiciary if Beaver actually is mentioned come charges time

In both cases the player being hit stepped into the tackle, but Beaver definitely made contact with the head even though it was totally unintentional. Only difference is that Morly hit a pussy named Walker who is soft.

CharlieF

Juniors
How the hell did an elbow come into it. I didn't notice an elbow at all. All I saw was Beaver charging and leading with his shoulder and hitting the other player somewhere near his chest. If an elbow hit him anywhere in the head, it must have been as he fell after the hit. Beaver did not lift his elbow. Wasn't even a careless tackle. was a good hard hit.

Yosh

Coach
the hit on Price was gold, sent shivers down my spine i tells ya. i reckon it would be pretty embrassing to get hit like that. must feel pretty awkard to stand back up and play the ball knowing that you just got owned hard! GO THE BIG HITTERS!

Iafeta

Referee
Wasn't a shoulder charge, it was his elbow.

Unintentional, but contact with the head, grade 1-2.

Last year, probably no problems. Change in rules this year say that previously considered shoulder charges etc. are no longer legal. Therefore that tackle would probably be graded as a careless tackle.

The better and more legal tackles were the one on Ruben Wiki (Menzies?) and Leuluai on Price.

CharlieF

Juniors
I must take a closer look at the tackle. I honestly did not see to much in it, but the judiciary has a habit of being inconsistent and of going with what is fashionable at the time. It was good to see manly dominate (or at the very least match) the powerfull Kiwi forwards and backs for that matter. On their day, the warriors are very hard to beat and today they played very well but were held out by an enthusiastic defence and when not defending, were put on the back foot by the Manly forwards.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Iafeta said:
The better and more legal tackles were the one on Ruben Wiki (Menzies?)

Oh f**k, that was something else!

I still smile when i think of it.

Clock watcher

Juniors
Iafeta said:
Wasn't a shoulder charge, it was his elbow.

Unintentional, but contact with the head, grade 1-2.

Last year, probably no problems. Change in rules this year say that previously considered shoulder charges etc. are no longer legal. Therefore that tackle would probably be graded as a careless tackle.

The better and more legal tackles were the one on Ruben Wiki (Menzies?) and Leuluai on Price.

You need to get over the fact theat your side was beaten today!
If it had of been price hitting Steve Bell in the exact same manner you would be blowing up like someone stole your last sheep.!!
If you really think that was an elbow and not a shoulder charge you have NO IDEA about rugby league, and you make it very obvious that you have never played the game.
If you are still upset about the loss and these remarks are just sour grapes than that is understandable, but this isn't even a matter of opinion, he MAY have made contact with the head in a shoulder charge gone wrong??? but to claim that it was contact with an elbow!! that is rediculious.
Also to claim that shoulder charges are illegal is incorrect, and also to think that someone could get "unintentional contacdt with an elbow + grade 1 or 2 reckles tackle" is rediculious. Menzies may get as you say reckless grade 1, but this will have nothing to do with an elbow. If menzies is charged with striking with an elbow it will be reffered without grading to the judiciary committee.
Think before you type champ!!!!!

CharlieF

Juniors
I have just been having a look at replays of the hit and I could not see Menzies shoulder actually touching his head. It appears that because of the power of the hit, his head actually rolled forwards into Menzies head, thus why he came out of it a bit dazed.

effnic

Bench
It was one of the many great LEGAL hits of the game. I must say Matai has stepped up in his defence big time great one on one tackles and some big hits.

Iafeta

Referee
Clock watcher said:
You need to get over the fact theat your side was beaten today!
If it had of been price hitting Steve Bell in the exact same manner you would be blowing up like someone stole your last sheep.!!
If you really think that was an elbow and not a shoulder charge you have NO IDEA about rugby league, and you make it very obvious that you have never played the game.
If you are still upset about the loss and these remarks are just sour grapes than that is understandable, but this isn't even a matter of opinion, he MAY have made contact with the head in a shoulder charge gone wrong??? but to claim that it was contact with an elbow!! that is rediculious.
Also to claim that shoulder charges are illegal is incorrect, and also to think that someone could get "unintentional contacdt with an elbow + grade 1 or 2 reckles tackle" is rediculious. Menzies may get as you say reckless grade 1, but this will have nothing to do with an elbow. If menzies is charged with striking with an elbow it will be reffered without grading to the judiciary committee.
Think before you type champ!!!!!

Elbow/shoulder, it matters not.

As far as your unintentional comment goes, there is a grading for intentional high tackles, its rarely used which indicates most high tackle charges are accidental, or better defined as careless, which that was.

If Adrian Morley hit that tackle on Steve Menzies, you blokes would not be happy. Me, I couldn't care less - the Warriors lost, game over, move on. However, as far as saying it was a great tackle, thats up to the judiciary to decide isn't it - clearly the video referee wasn't happy as Menzies was subsequently placed on report for it.

The better tackles from all respects were the tackle on Steve Price from Kylie Leuluai and the shot on Ruben Wiki, which I believe was Steve Menzies. They were brilliant tackles. Coincidentally, I believe Menzies wouldn't look out of place in the NSW pack again this year, he's going gangbusters. No disrespect to him or Manly at all - the better team won, hands down.

CharlieF, I haven't watched it that many times, only the once in the game. If it was a 'whiplash' effect and no contact with the head, then yes, it was a great hit. I'd suggest the video referee viewed it differently otherwise there was no need for a penalty or for him to be placed on report.

Latest posts