What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about Grothe at Centre?

yy_cheng

Coach
Parra Guru said:
I find Tahu does the same

As much as I like Tahu closer in to the action, i don't like grothe outside him for that very same reason. Grothe doesn't see the ball much when it is in Tahu's hands.

But, I think Tahu would learn the skill eventually as he has only played a season and a half at centre. However, someone needs to coach it to him. If he doesn't realize it, he should ask why he was playing wing for NSW in SOO III

number8

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
I find Tahu does the same

Yes he does, so does Gasnier but to a far lesser extent. Thier wingers still see some good ball & part of that is because there is that doubt in the defence, "will he pass, will he run". You know Coopers going to run, You leave his winger open & he'll still run it.

Tahu was only ever going to see dummy half runs & scraps in that last Origin. Quality wingers need centres who can create opportunities for them. not roll out the leftovers after they've had their fill!

Cooper would be an Ideal Centre if the winger was say a Fitzhenry or Covell. But no, I don't rate him as a real good centre.

yy_cheng

Coach
number8 said:
Yes he does, so does Gasnier but to a far lesser extent.

As much as I hate Gasnier, he is a great centre. I watched alot of Dragon games last year and Colin Best was having a field day running outside of Gasnier.

Gasnier would go himself if he can but if he puts the defence in two minds, and knows he can't get through, he would slip a ball to Best and he was screaming down the sideline.

Lyon and Moodie were similar.

Parra Guru

Coach
Tahu has hardly given Grothe any ball all season. Grothe has been running out of dummy half most of the time aswell. Tahu is turning into a Gasnier wannabe, except he doesn't have the flick pass.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yup, and you can tell by the no. tries scored by Grothe.

That's why I am so happy to see BENNY back.

I like Tahu but not with Grothe.

number8

Juniors
I agree with the Tahu assessment. Gasnier has a better balance & probably more ability than Tahu in that area. Like Cooper & yes Tahu, You know he's going to run it. But he'll get the pass off at the line 95% of the time & his wingers know it. There lays the difference.

Parra Guru

Coach
I see what you're saying, but I would have picked a fully fit Cooper in Origin over Tahu. Tahu's having a good season, but I don't think he's better than Cooper overall and Cooper is a great defender.

yy_cheng

Coach
Parra Guru said:
I see what you're saying, but I would have picked a fully fit Cooper in Origin over Tahu. Tahu's having a good season, but I don't think he's better than Cooper overall and Cooper is a great defender.

Tahu had alot of troubles trying to contain hodges.

I would've liked to have seen Cooper try but we never got the chance. So it appears that Cooper is a better centre than Tahu. (Which he is imo but Hodges might've also shown Cooper up)

yy_cheng

Coach
I think hodges looks more dangerous with the ball than Tahu.

He looks slow but he looks like he glides when he runs.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
Tahu has hardly given Grothe any ball all season. Grothe has been running out of dummy half most of the time aswell. Tahu is turning into a Gasnier wannabe, except he doesn't have the flick pass.

Geez, we are getting pretty harsh. The form that Tahu has displayed for parra has gotten him back in the NSW side. For a first year centre he has done extremely well.
Lets not forget that its in the nature of wingers not to handle the ball often, hence being on the wing. Why tinker with what is working at the moment.
Lets not look at (Lyon/Moodie), they had plenty of room to work with by the time they used to get the ball in their hands as opposed to our backs these days who are not deep enough due to a variety of reasons.
Besides, Grothe simply isnt up to scratch defensively, to make the shift to centre.

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't think we are doubting Tahu's position in the team as Centre. He adds tremendous value. However, he is not a complete centre yet as he does not know how to make full use of his wing man.

He will be my first choice centre for Parra don't worry about that.

Juniors
Why dont we play TAHU as a running 5/8 since he likes the ball so much? It would complement SMITH, who doesnt run.

Parra Guru

Coach
JOB 3:14 said:
Geez, we are getting pretty harsh. The form that Tahu has displayed for parra has gotten him back in the NSW side. For a first year centre he has done extremely well.
Lets not forget that its in the nature of wingers not to handle the ball often, hence being on the wing. Why tinker with what is working at the moment.
Lets not look at (Lyon/Moodie), they had plenty of room to work with by the time they used to get the ball in their hands as opposed to our backs these days who are not deep enough due to a variety of reasons.
Besides, Grothe simply isnt up to scratch defensively, to make the shift to centre.

Grothe isn't any ordinary winger. He can beat defenders 1 on 1 which is why Tahu should give him more ball.

If Tahu's so keen on retaining this precious centre spot, then he should really work on his passing game.

caylo

Bench
i think tahu is the most dangerous bll runner in the nrl tbh, cooper doesn't pass often either... but tahu is defently a hole runner, creating his own space, and i think he would be mroe effective when the forwards are dominating because he will already have the defenders on the back foot. cooper is such a different player its hard 2 compare. hodges is also destructive when he runs the ball, and so is tate. imo these are the top centres with the inclusion of gasnier, and probably judus in there 2. but all 6 players are all different its hard 2 compare. id be happy with any of them in my team, dragons and broncos are luck 2 have 2 of them each, but we are lucky 2 have benny who may well be up there soon, imo very hodges like

Juniors
caylo said:
i think tahu is the most dangerous bll runner in the nrl tbh, cooper doesn't pass often either... but tahu is defently a hole runner, creating his own space, and i think he would be mroe effective when the forwards are dominating because he will already have the defenders on the back foot. cooper is such a different player its hard 2 compare. hodges is also destructive when he runs the ball, and so is tate. imo these are the top centres with the inclusion of gasnier, and probably judus in there 2. but all 6 players are all different its hard 2 compare. id be happy with any of them in my team, dragons and broncos are luck 2 have 2 of them each, but we are lucky 2 have benny who may well be up there soon, imo very hodges like

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree with you 100%.

In response to the thread: A good centre must be a good defender, there is no where to hide out wide, cover is limited, grothe is no where near as good in defence as the players you have just mentioned.
I wouldnt change grothe for any winger in the world, i just dont think he is a centre.

Latest posts