What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about Grothe at Centre?

caylo

Bench
the way he played against the knights, why would you change anything... he brought himself closer in2 the attack when he thought he needed 2, which would be the whole point of moving him in2 the centres but we still had him there 2 do those great kick returns... i think he could so it, but why fix wot aint broken

number8

Juniors
Centre is a way easier position to defend than Wing. The only thing wingers had going for them defensively in the past was that they had other wingers running at them. But we all know what the modern day winger can do in attack.

It's the hardest position to cover defensively on the feild. Hence the percentage of tries scored in those left & right channels.

You not only have to be up to it one on one technically, but you also have to cover kicks & come up with decisions other positions don't have to worry about. They don't see as much defensively as the rest of the team but what they do have to deal with is full on make or break stuff.

Saying Grothe isn't up to it defensively is crap. He used to misread the plays & come up with wrong choices.... He hasn't for a long time, & his one on one is great. Wingers often get made to look like mugs because they miss they last tackle... A tackle that most often should have been made infield had the line pushed up, or had the markers not been bludging. Or when a two/three on one occurs because a centre, or back rower rushes out of the line & creates an overlap.

He'd cope defensively. He'd probably have a feild day actually.

That said I'm not suggesting we play him there. We have better options in the team that allow him to be better used in his best position. If we didn't however, He'd handle it & then some!

The Titan

Juniors
what about Grothe in the 2nd Row??

He terrorizes when he scoots up the middle, so why doesn't he just move there for good.;?

caylo

Bench
i think it realy depends... if u have grothe on the wing oppisite, its a fair bet it would be easyer 2 defend in the centres... if u had tahu in the centres, its a fair guess ud have a harder job than ur winger... if u have tahu and grothe on 1 side... id dead set run away...
(exept it hasn't worked so far :()

Utey

Coach
Centre has more space to cover, although it all depends whose on your inside/outside...

number8

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
Centre has more space to cover, although it all depends whose on your inside/outside...

Well not in a effective defencive line it doesn't. When the centre finds himself in that position though what usually happens? He'll either push in or up or plant the feet undecided, won't he? What happens then....... The centre has come up short, what happens next?

Utey

Coach
Centre has tougher decsions to make, depends on their trust and the person outside them to stay with their man and wrap up the ball.

number8

Juniors
Having played both, amoung other positions I'd have to strongly disagree. No way centre has tougher decisions.

number8

Juniors
Honestly, I'd go nuts if my centres felt they had more decisions than the wingers. I'd know the team wasn't each doing thier respective jobs in the line if that was the case.

Maybe your not terrible maybe you just played in some ineffective teams.

Utey

Coach
I wasnt a centre, I just defended out wide because I used to get run over a lot. :)

CrazyEel

Bench
<UPtheEELS> said:
I wasnt a centre, I just defended out wide because I used to get run over a lot. :)
Don't worry UTE, you couldn't have been too bad defensively mate, if you were they would have stuck you out on the wing to use the sideline. ;-)

I agree with you, much harder to defend in the open spaces of the centres as Tahu often finds.

Utey

Coach
lol I did defend on the wing a lot :oops:

everyone was so big and I was the little 5/8. :crazy:

CrazyEel

Bench
<UPtheEELS> said:
lol I did defend on the wing a lot :oops:

everyone was so big and I was the little 5/8. :crazy:
ooops, sorry mate :oops: :lol:
Well it was probably cause you were such a great attacking 5/8 they were just trying to protect :lol: