What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are our options for the halves. . .?

sooperdooper

First Grade
Robson is definately a problem... shouldnt be in the 17.
Matt Keating is a worry too, his service out of dummy half is slow and sometimes he just wanders off and does his own things...eg kicks on the 2nd and 3rd.

Mitchell needs to come in and replace him

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yes, you're all correct. Jeff Robson can't put people over the try line to save his life. Joel Reddy's tries off the kicks that have been produced (one in the Grand Final and the other on Friday night) were both kicks from the Parramatta Ghost.

:roll:

FFS you lot are kidding. If Hindmarsh has a bad game, it's OK - he's Hindmarsh. If Fui doesn't step up, it's OK - he's Fui.

But if Jeff Robson doesn't set up a million tries a game because he's too busy STOPPING a million tries a game because his pack are inconsistent and are making errors and giving away penalties, he's the devil himself.

And yet, Kris Keating, whose only moment of greatness thus far this season was a woefully forward pass to put Reddy in, is the messiah.

You're all kidding.

Based on what? How is his form for Wenty? Easy to say we should replace Keating but Mitchell has to have the runs on the board to do so.

I wrote this 4th April last year

I was quite impressed with Kingston when i saw Wentworthville play the other day. He was brought in to be both back-up AND to put pressure on Keating to perform. And really Keating has not really performed thus far. So give Kingston a go.
And was responded with

hate to break it to you mate, but Matt Keating is far superior 9 than Kinga and if you ever see matt play for Wenty you'll know why.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/s...ston+keating+username_ElectricEelMan_username

Just saying ....

By the way, in my humble opinion, Kingston >>>>> Keating

The Colonel

Immortal

Kingston up until that point in time had played first grade with the Sharks and Wenty were winning games. Difference is Mitchell hasn't played any first grade and Wenty have won one game and let two others slide away.

I have some big wraps on Mitchell but he won't have the same impact that Kingston did..... not yet anyway.

Kingston up until that point in time had played first grade with the Sharks and Wenty were winning games. Difference is Mitchell hasn't played any first grade and Wenty have won one game and let two others slide away.

I have some big wraps on Mitchell but he won't have the same impact that Kingston did..... not yet anyway.

Maybe you are right ... maybe.

Though I am a bit bias. I think Matt Keating is barely a first grader to begin with.

The Colonel

Immortal
Maybe you are right ... maybe.

Though I am a bit bias. I think Matt Keating is barely a first grader to begin with.

I disagree. He is a good hooker that is suffering from our forwards being dominated in the ruck...... the play the ball speed is really slowing up his service as much as the step/pass habit he has fallen into.

Not sure a rookie hooker will change that much until our forwards are getting through the advantage line...

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I disagree. He is a good hooker that is suffering from our forwards being dominated in the ruck...... the play the ball speed is really slowing up his service as much as the step/pass habit he has fallen into.

Not sure a rookie hooker will change that much until our forwards are getting through the advantage line...

Yep, I agree with you Colonel...

Kornstar

Coach
Maybe I have a short memory but I can't remember seeing kk do much.

I can remember seeing Mateo do plenty.

Mateo has been around since 04, KK 08, of course you have seen Mateo do more!

KK is still very young (21?), what is Mateo, 26? 4 more years of first grade footy.

I am not for one minute suggesting that KK is better than Mateo or that Mateo can't be a great player but if attitude is anything to go by i would back KK any day over Mateo!

I think KK has added more spark to our side in ever game he has played, he always looks dangerous and with more experience and a more dominant forward pack i have no doubt he will shine.

Mateo looks like he needs an attitude adjustment, that is my opinion, he doesn't look interested unless he gets what he wants. With the right attitude he could be anything in this game, i think John Sutton suffers from the same problem as Mateo and could also be anything if he applies himself.........

I still don't get the hate for KK though, i am trying to understand what he has done wrong besides a forward pass???

ROGUE

Juniors
Mateo has been around since 04, KK 08, of course you have seen Mateo do more!

KK is still very young (21?), what is Mateo, 26? 4 more years of first grade footy.

I am not for one minute suggesting that KK is better than Mateo or that Mateo can't be a great player but if attitude is anything to go by i would back KK any day over Mateo!

I think KK has added more spark to our side in ever game he has played, he always looks dangerous and with more experience and a more dominant forward pack i have no doubt he will shine.

Mateo looks like he needs an attitude adjustment, that is my opinion, he doesn't look interested unless he gets what he wants. With the right attitude he could be anything in this game, i think John Sutton suffers from the same problem as Mateo and could also be anything if he applies himself.........

I still don't get the hate for KK though, i am trying to understand what he has done wrong besides a forward pass???
Korn i dunno if it's hate but to some [myself included] we have been hearing that he has enormous potential and that in many peoples eyes he will solve the 7 0r 6 position for us for well into the future.Now like alot of you we've seen the pennas, lawlers, morans, witts, who have had similar wraps and no offense nothing has really come of it.I can see the kid has some potential just not warranting some of bold opinions expressed but mate i'm happy to be proven wrong.Cheers

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
KK's maturity and calmness on the field while remaining intense is what excites me about his future. All he needs to do is harness that and we've got one special player.

caylo

Bench
KK's maturity and calmness on the field while remaining intense is what excites me about his future. All he needs to do is harness that and we've got one special player.

IMO KK warmed to the halfback role in 3 gamesbetter then Robson did in 15. KK was both putting players through holes and breaking the line outwide while our pack was getting smashed. I think the best combination for our team is:

7 KK
6 Mortz

14 Robo

KK has even proved he is a quality defender for a little bloke.

Dymock

Juniors
I thought Penna was a solid first grader. Maybe not a top-shelf halfback but he was good enough I think in 1999 and 2000. Lawler I remember from '96 but at 67kg he was too light for first grade and John Simon was a much better option at the time.

Denis Moran, Michael Witt, ... well maybe Smithy wasn't great with halves. Who knows.

At the moment we don't need a miracle solution. Just a workable halfback and 5/8 combo. Before they both got injured KK and Mateo were a good combination. I wouldn't mind seeing that again.

Now I think it takes about three seasons for a footballer to really find his feet in first grade. Hindy really kicked on in 2000 after debuting in 1998 ditto Cayless in 1999 etc. So maybe this year we'll see how good KK and MK are and ditto Feleti with a full season.

We probably need to re-organise a bit but thats it. I think Robson should stay in the squad but I'd like to see him at lock ... not 2nd row... with KK at half and Feleti at 5/8 with Mortz to the bench. MK is a good hooker, he can't have lost it overnight. So he just needs the two-step problem he has to be fixed. It could be that MK is an inter-change hooker only and not an 80 minute or thereabouts player.