What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What book Have You Read Lately.

bazza

Immortal
millersnose said:
my wife got halfway through that (if its the same one i am thinking about) and threw it at the wall

could well be it - not the most rivitting read.
Some stuff does happen in the 2nd half - but not much

carcharias

Immortal
HevyDevy said:
Any recommendations for good autobiographies?
scar tissue- Anthony Keides from Chilli Peppers

Long Time gone - David Crosby

The Damage Done - Warren Fellows

all Crackers.

Chondricthyes

Juniors
Shantoram by Gregory David Roberts- WOW what a fantastic book. Its big but absolutely fantastic. Roberts escapes from Pentridge jail in Melb. and the story is about his life on the run in India in the slums and with org crime. etc -Just fantastic it has a humanity and straightforwardness (some of which is horrifing- jail beatings etc) that is amazing.

it is a true story which is even more mind blowing. This guy can write.
Certainly flys into my top 5 all time favs.
I read about 30 books a year and this is the best I've read in many , many years.

Folks you will love it.

Millers luck- ? Perry- its an interesting read about Keith Miller. Shane Warne has done nothing Miller wasn't making headlines for in the late 40's- early 50's. Didn't particularly like the writting style but Miller was a very interesting dude.

Rexxy

Coach
Bob Dylan - Chronicles Volume 1.

Thankfully he doesn't spend time explaining what certain songs mean but how he started in the business, the creative process, and how after a career threatening malaise, the bard got back his muse.

For anyone who has gone to the edge and wondered if there was a way back...

carcharias said:
scar tissue- Anthony Keides from Chilli Peppers

Long Time gone - David Crosby

The Damage Done - Warren Fellows

all Crackers.

HevyDevy

Coach
Hmmm - some very interesting sounding reads there. I've wanted to read Keides' book for a while now but the Bill Bryson and Gregory David Roberts books sound good. May have to make a purchase when I finish Steve Waugh's book this weekend.

By the way I recommend Motley Crue's The Dirt to anyone that hasn't read it. Best I've ever read whether you're a Crue fan or not.

Thomo.

First Grade
Dread said:
The Da Vinci Code is utter tripe, unfortunately. Dan Brown needs to learn something about pacing.

Steve Waugh's autobiography, on the other hand, is a must read for any cricket fan, or Australian in general.[/QUOTE]

totally agree

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just finished Tad Williams 'War of the Flowers', which I'd recommend to anyone interested in the fantasy genre. Tried to read Stephen King's 'Dolores Clairborne', but I just can't get into the first person narrative, no matter how well written.

About to head into town and pick up a copy of 'Cell', which is King's latest. Zombies!

Rustay

Juniors
Just started reading Ponting's Ashes Diary. Not bad so far. Looking forward to the latter stages of the book where his mood will be on the downswing.

Raider_69 said:
just finished
Chopper 2 - Hits and Memories by Mark Brandon 'Chopper' Read

have read the first one and am now going to buy the 3rd to read... love his books, piss funny

Not bad those books as long as you dont take em seriously.

strewth_mate

Bench
Hmmm - some very interesting sounding reads there. I've wanted to read Keides' book for a while now but the Bill Bryson and Gregory David Roberts books sound good. May have to make a purchase when I finish Steve Waugh's book this weekend.

I rather enjoyed Kiedes' book, very compelling and a pretty interesting life (compared to mine at least). Doesn't matter what you think of the band really. Also very candid about his addiction which is good to see, even if he comes across as a bit pretentious at some points. For what it's worth I strongly recommend it.

Just finished Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons". Fluffy, poorly written stuff that was almost as farcical as "The Da Vinci Code". Well researched though, I'll give him that.

I'm now reading John le Carre's "The Constant Gardener". Very good.

Misanthrope

Staff member
cant wait untill i get that book

It's pretty good thus far. Only about one hundred pages in but it's quite interesting. Not typical King fare, but there's plenty of gore and storytelling all the same.

hrundi99

First Grade
Rustay said:
Just started reading Ponting's Ashes Diary. Not bad so far. Looking forward to the latter stages of the book where his mood will be on the downswing.

I didn't think individuals could profit from their crimes?

Southernsaint

Staff member
The Ponting Ashes Diary is very dull:

"It was late, so I just ordered room service and watched TV"...

Rexxy

Coach
Southernsaint said:
The Ponting Ashes Diary is very dull:

"It was late, so I just ordered room service and watched TV"...

I didn't think individuals could profit from their crimes? :)

After losing the Ashes they should have made Udi Hussein the coach.

And is it me , or is that awful VB campaign not really about Boony but Warwick Todd?