What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What book Have You Read Lately.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
OVP said:
Richard Bachman = Stephen King. Its part of the The Bachman Books along with The Running Man. The long walk was a great read.
Was that the story about the walking competition set in the future?

Dread

Juniors
1) The Da Vinci Code
2) Steve Waugh's autobiography

The Da Vinci Code is utter tripe, unfortunately. Dan Brown needs to learn something about pacing.

Steve Waugh's autobiography, on the other hand, is a must read for any cricket fan, or Australian in general.

bazza

Immortal
Last book read: Pochownick's Dream by Alex Miller
Story is about an artist who rediscovers his creativity - a bit boring

millersnose

Post Whore
bazza said:
Last book read: Pochownick's Dream by Alex Miller
Story is about an artist who rediscovers his creativity - a bit boring

my wife got halfway through that (if its the same one i am thinking about) and threw it at the wall

macavity

Referee
Guns, Germs, Steel - Jared Diamond - perhaps my favorite book in a long time, an explanatory history of the development of societies around the planet, really opened my eyes to why things are the way they are - i.e. why 'the west' is the richest and most dominant culture, why aboriginals never domesticated anything, etc. very very highly recommended, a must read for anyone, although it is a heavy read it is more than worth it. was just broadcast as a mini-series doco on the ABC, but the book is much more thorough.

"Collapse" by Diamond was also an excellent read.

currently reading 'Growth Fetish' by Clive Hamilton. again a heavy read but a fascinating insight into the effects of the primacy of economic growth.

I can't understand the attraction of fiction when you can learn something and be entertained at the same time... but whatever floats boats eh?

Southernsaint

Staff member
A truly awful book: Whitethorn by Bryce Courtenay.

If you've read The Power Of One, don't bother as it's the same story regurgitated...

Dread

Juniors
I also knocked over the Watchmen graphics novel by Alan Moore in the holidays.

Gripping stuff.

Raider_69

Post Whore
just finished
Chopper 2 - Hits and Memories by Mark Brandon 'Chopper' Read

have read the first one and am now going to buy the 3rd to read... love his books, piss funny

supersoniceagle said:
Was that the story about the walking competition set in the future?

Yeah, and they get three warnings and then they are given their "ticket" I love how it ends, how its open to whatever you believe happens and stuff!

Southernsaint

Staff member
GoTheBears said:
If Piers Ackerman was a Saints Fan you'd love his articles to, doesn't mean he's a great writer:p

No, if I loved Piers' articles I'd be a Cronulla fan ;-)