What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What CD Are You Listening to #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HevyDevy

Coach
i'm a bit late to the fair for a fan of my magnitude, but i'm just giving Dramatic Turn of Events my first listen through. i'm hoping the first track isn't the "epic" of the album. it's not a bad track, but it's no Count of Tuscany/Octavarium/Scenes from a Memory/In the Name of God/you know what I mean.

Good track - at least three better on the album

Machine Head - Unto the Locust.
I don't mind it, nothing brilliant though.

Think my favorite CD's for the year so far have been Symphony X's Iconoclast and DTP's Deconstruction.

Yeah, I can't argue with that. Giving Unto The Locust a second spin right now, guess I'm enjoying it a bit more this time around though. Nothing like some of their old stuff.

A few recent listens.

Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare
Such a strange album, the songs don't fit together for what should be more of a concept album. Some crackers on the album, still unsure of the duet with Ke$ha (come on...even just listening to it makes you feel dirty).

Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction/Ghost
Ghost is just nice. Background music. Some catchiness too. Deconstruction is definitely the album of the year though, insanely good.

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Lost Not Forgotten is quickly becoming a bit of a favourite of mine, but there are some brilliant songs on this album. And many thought Portnoy's departure would kill them off.

Edguy - Age Of The Joker
Not as good as some of their other stuff, but still a fun album. The lead singles are great, enjoyed it.

Machine Head - Unto The Locust
Above.

Mastodon - The Hunter
Crack The Skye turned me into a fan. This just keeps it going, insanely good.

Opeth - Heritage
Apparently it's the future of the band. Bring it, a massive fan of this.

Symphony X - Iconoclast
Took me a while to buy this. Why did it...why did it...

Trivium - In Waves
A little disappointed, despite it being a pretty good album.

Turisas - Stand Up And Fight
F*cking love this album, always gets a spin every so often.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Machine Head - Unto the Locust.
I don't mind it, nothing brilliant though.

Think my favorite CD's for the year so far have been Symphony X's Iconoclast and DTP's Deconstruction.

Got Unto the Locust today... Overall I'm pretty disappointed with it, some of the songs are decent... The sentinel is pretty damn good, listening to a thrash version of Judas Priest is pretty cool. Still not a patch on From ashes or the blackening

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
I've got to listen to Mastodons The Hunter some more. Really love Crack the Skye.

A Dramatic Turn of Events is also one of my favorites for this year.
It flows so well.

Triviums In Waves I think is fairly average, nothing brilliant on there, nothing terrible either.

Opeth's Heritage has some great moments, but I don't think it's their best. Some songs seem to drift aimlessly at times. It does make me look forward to their next album though to see what they build from this platform.

perverse

Referee
yeah, after giving turn of dramatic events a bit of a listen, i'm a fan. still havent really gotten to know it, though. this morning i'm cruising along to Black Math Horseman - Wyllt. f**king awesome.

HevyDevy

Coach
I've got to listen to Mastodons The Hunter some more. Really love Crack the Skye.

A Dramatic Turn of Events is also one of my favorites for this year.
It flows so well.

Triviums In Waves I think is fairly average, nothing brilliant on there, nothing terrible either.

Opeth's Heritage has some great moments, but I don't think it's their best. Some songs seem to drift aimlessly at times. It does make me look forward to their next album though to see what they build from this platform.

Well I hope they don't abandon their heavy side - although there is no doubt that they've been drifting towards it more and more over the years.

Fact is, Mike's death growl is among the best in the business. Would be a travesty if he shelved it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Listened to Unto the Locust a few times now.
Enjoyable but not amazing. Seems like they've tried to be a little bit more melodic, particularly vocally. but it's cost them some heaviness, lacks the straight out awesome brutality of Blackening.

Big Pete

Referee
Neon Indian - Era Extrana - 2011
Just put it on now. Enjoyed their debut and didn't mind their latest single so we shall see how the rest of the album fares.

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worse Nightmare - 2007
Inbetweeners really put me off this band and Kaiser Chiefs for a couple of years but ever since watching Submarine I've been on an Alex Turner kick. A more well rounded album than their debut and while the singles aren't as fun as the debut it was definitely a step forward for the band.

perverse

Referee
ok, so dramatic turn of events is actually really good... and indeed their best work in quite a long time. Breaking all Illusions and Outcry the 2 standouts for me at the moment. superb.

HevyDevy

Coach
ok, so dramatic turn of events is actually really good... and indeed their best work in quite a long time. Breaking all Illusions and Outcry the 2 standouts for me at the moment. superb.
Absolutely.

Breaking All Illusions is really quite stunning.

Eelectrica

Referee
This year has to be have been the best for music releases that I can remember. Probably means next year is a little flat, but that's fine I've more than enoough to gorge on for now.

Actually we'll probaby get hundreds of live releases next year.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
Neighbourhoods- Liking it. Enough variety to keep new comers interested, enough up beat catchy hooks to keep die hards happy

Also picked up NFG's new album today. Only one listen in, but it's very much an NFG album. Could see myself getting into it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts