What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What changed?

Rich102

Staff member
What happened yesterday?
Who threw the switch?
Did Ivan allow Tony to give the pre-game rev-up?

More importantly. Will it last?

Any ideas?

what ever

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol: Outstanding game, may it last. Finally the boys are let free to express their skills. Heard that having Tony there has really benefited the poly boys, & the aussies as well. Should be a black out against manly.

Meth

Staff member
I think, as bad as 2009 was for us, we need to give Cleary the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to put it right in 2010.

Sure, decisions were made that are baffling, and seemingly just plain stupid, but we shouldn't just react with a knee jerk. Let's see how 2010 goes first; if there isn't a dramatic improvement, consider our options then.

Rich102

Staff member
:lol: still not going to entertain the possibility that ivan might actually not be a bad coach? ;-)

That performance was so different to what we have seen since the end of 2008 that something must have changed. It wasn't just Maloney, Heremaia, Hohaia and Tate - they all played better. (Yes, even the other centre.)
If it is all down to Cleary then I applaud him. What has he done different?
Next week should be interesting.

When I last looked at the TAB odds, (just after halftime) I am sure the Warriors were paying $12 for the win. But when I tried to place a bet it said betting had closed. Still, I was pleased with the $3.50.

Its got to be attitude, players not relying on the old experianced players to get something going.

No Price, Jones and Wiki. So now its the next teir taking over as leaders, Lance, Manu, Luck and dear i say it Ropati.

Tactics are different now to. More plays and less bombing for Manu

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
That performance was so different to what we have seen since the end of 2008 that something must have changed. It wasn't just Maloney, Heremaia, Hohaia and Tate - they all played better. (Yes, even the other centre.)
If it is all down to Cleary then I applaud him. What has he done different?

there's a big combination in attitude, tactics and personnel. it's not just cleary, but the it's pretty clear so far that we've gone back to playing the way we have under every other cleary year except 2009, and if we keep it up then it won't be hard to look back and see the differences between last year and 07, 08, 10.

way too early to say we're all good though, three weeks in and we've not played a really good team yet. but still, in 80 minutes yesterday we scored as many exciting tries as we did all of last year.

Martli

Coach
I've never been a fan of singling out one factor to explain something, so I'm not going to suggest it was a coach, or one particular player. Perhaps a range of factors converged to produce that result? The win at home last week, good recruitment in Maloney, good off-season training combined with two rounds of (serious) game time to get the game plans rolled out, injuries to the Broncos, different vibe at the club?

One thing's for sure, we're far from the spoon contenders most people tipped us to be. I don't know if it was optimism on my part but I never felt this was the case any way. The other thing that is also true is that we're only 3 rounds in; teams are still settling in to the season and good form one week could easily be gone the next. Enjoy the win, but remember there's still another 23 rounds of football to go.

Meth

Staff member
The Maloney and Heremaia factor is huge, I think- they both look like they want to play; like they want to be involved and to have a go.

I wonder if they drug tested the whole team after the game? That was unbelievable in the 2nd half. I kept expecting a Broncos comeback, especially how easy they scored their last try, just after half time. But the Warriors were on fire. Who said the Warriors can't play in the heat.

Perhaps the Broncos thought they were playing an away game since they were in their light coloured away strip. Yeah that really worked for them, not.

FANTASTIC.

Meth

Staff member
I wonder if they drug tested the whole team after the game? That was unbelievable in the 2nd half. I kept expecting a Broncos comeback, especially how easy they scored their last try, just after half time. But the Warriors were on fire. Who said the Warriors can't play in the heat.

Perhaps the Broncos thought they were playing an away game since they were in their light coloured away strip. Yeah that really worked for them, not.

FANTASTIC.

Just another myth perpetuated by the Australian media, alongside the 'big boppers Warriors pack'

Micistm

Bench
there's a big combination in attitude, tactics and personnel. it's not just cleary, but the it's pretty clear so far that we've gone back to playing the way we have under every other cleary year except 2009, and if we keep it up then it won't be hard to look back and see the differences between last year and 07, 08, 10.

way too early to say we're all good though, three weeks in and we've not played a really good team yet. but still, in 80 minutes yesterday we scored as many exciting tries as we did all of last year.

Completely agree, and we have had more entertainment in the three games than all of last year. And IMO it is down to a combination of factors rather than any one thing.
Of course it is still early days, and it's easy to be cynical and wait for the bubble to burst. But always thought they'd be some from last year determined to prove a point; the new halves, despite one being out for a while now, have be a good injection for the team. Maloney has proven he's just been waiting for his FG chance, one he was never going to get at the Storm. Good news for us!
Credit to Cleary where it's due, but also to Iro, yesterday had his look all over it. I reckon together they are an odd couple who will compliment each other really well, one conservative and defense oriented, and focussed on completing sets, the other all about the attack. This could be good!
This week vs Manly will be a good test with Manu & Mannering out, interested to see how they go.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Broncos were (are?) terrible

I didn't see anything revolutionary in our attacking structure or cohesion, it was just that whatever we did, the Broncos would fall off tackles.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Good start to the season, totally different team now Jones is gone from controling the attack.

They aint boring to watch anymore and laughing at the mistakes just doesnt happen.

Hopefully we keep improving, but dont what to be like McIvor and say the warriors are making a statement or anything

Skinner

Coach

I didn't see anything revolutionary in our attacking structure or cohesion, it was just that whatever we did, the Broncos would fall off tackles.

Firk, it must be a blue moon. I actually agree with the gangsta.

Micistm

Bench
Yeah, to a degree. But I also think credit where it's due. It's easy to say, Yeah but the opposition were awful...and they were...but to be fair the Warriors were trying things, throwing it around and it was paying off. And they do deserve some accolade for that. Measured of course, 'cos it can all change in a week in NRL!
Maybe lack of Manu in the game forced them to look at other forms of attack- and others sides aren't used to us doing that! ;-)

Big Pete

Referee

Definitely a factor there Manu, we've always struggled against smaller guys and in the ruck which just so happens to be an area where Heremaia and Hohaia thrive.

First and for most congratulations last week Warriors fans. I know I'm a little late to the party but I hope you lapped that victory up after such a dissapointing 2009.

I believe the major difference between 2010 and 2009 is your spine. When the Warriors tore the Broncos apart it was on the back of the performances from McKinnon, Hohaia and Heremaia. Combine their performances with one of the best backlines in the NRL and it's plain to see why the Warriors have gone from dull to dazzling.

All the best for 2010 guys and I can't wait to see your side perform with all the troops back on deck.

Latest posts