What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do people think about Jarrod Mullen?

Noname36

First Grade
^ I honestly don't know why a combination of Mullen and Carney wasn't selected years ago. Yes they both have histories of being inconsistent, but from what I've always seen they've been the two most naturally gifted halves we've had since we lost Johns and Fitler. And with a combination of those two I believe it would be a genuine combination. Not one decent half and an idiot that needs to be carried. I imagine we wouldn't be looking down the barrel at 8 straight series defeats had have these two been picked years ago and persisted with. The NSW selectors are an absolute disgrace and should be held accountable for their years of idiocy.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
He's improved but not to the extent I had expected under Bennett.

My impression of Mullen is that everytime the media talks him up for Origin, he goes into his shell and strings together a series of ordinary performances that humbles even the most ardent of supporters. It's a shame because the guy clearly has talent - a beautiful long distance kicking and passing game but he just suffers from a crisis of confidence.

In truth, I didn't think his Origin debut was THAT bad. The worst crime he committed on the night was being quiet which has basically been the complaint you could have made of any NSW half since Joey. Truth is, he shouldn't have been selected at the time. Not only was he selected out of position, the guy had only played 31 NRL matches and wasn't even considered for the spot until Craig Gower was ruled out.

To make matters worse, he never got the opportunity to make amends. I believe if the selectors really wanted him to play Game 2, he would have but in their defence he was under an injury cloud and he did eventually succumb to a season ending injury.

Moving forward, if I'm a Blues fan, I'm hoping the Knights make the finals and Jarrod puts together a couple good matches because the more competition for spots between him, Maloney, Carney, Sutton etc. the better.

perverse

Referee
He didn't go into his shell this year around Origin time, it was more just that he was never going to get a look in over Maloney due to the club pairing with Pearce. That has been his modus operandi in the past though, for sure. He's a different player now and has grown so much since Bennett arrived. I think he's ready. I agree with Mr. Angry, to be honest... and I think Carney and Mullen should have played many more origins together as far as their raw talent goes, but their respective careers both took odd turns at different times to prevent that. To be fair, the Knights probably should take a fair bit of responsibility for his erratic form, he's only now for the first time in his career really got a forward pack worth feeding in front of him at club level. He's doing it easy at the moment with lots of space to work, thinking "shit, how good is this?"

There's still time. I don't believe NSW have two more talented halves than those two, although Adam Reynolds might look pretty good alongside either of them, too. Would certainly be an improvement on Pearce. Mullen was 19 when he debuted, and wasn't anywhere near ready for it. He's still only 26 now, plenty of years ahead of him. The one thing about being in Origin exile for so long is that he'd be pretty eager to make amends if he ever did get thown another shot.

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
TBH Carney and Mullen should be in their 4th or 5th season as NSW halves by now.

Think Adam Reynolds is the long term #7 now though. So its up to us to find a 5/8th to match him... for me that guy is Todd Carney, who is the most talented and creative half in NSW

Big Pete

Referee
perverse said:
He didn't go into his shell this year around Origin time, it was more just that he was never going to get a look in over Maloney due to the club pairing with Pearce.

His performances against the Warriors, Sharks and Raiders really didn't do him any favours.

perverse

Referee
His performances against the Warriors, Sharks and Raiders really didn't do him any favours.
The less said about the Raiders match the better. Our whole team turned in deplorable performances, so I guess I'll grant that. I'll certainly give you the Warriors match, that was forgettable entirely.

The Knights only really lost the plot in the Sharks match when Mullen went off injured, though. His kicking was great, and we really missed it when it came time to get some field position and pot a field goal. We were also dicking around with our halves combo in that match due to not knowing wtf to do with Gidley.

All around those matches are games that he's either played very well, or been sensational, too. He's having quite a year. You're probably right, though, none of those matches actively helped his cause.

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah the Sharks game was unfortunate more than anything but it was the match for him to stake his claim and unfortunately it was all over for him at half-time.

I'd throw the Penrith match in there. He wasn't deplorable or anything, but it was a bludger of a performance in one of the worst games of the season.

But really, 2013 isn't an example of Jarrod 'choking' under pressure because as you pointed out, Maloney/Pearce was penciled in extremely early.

Noname36

First Grade
That Golden point loss to the Sharks was awful. I can guarantee we would have won that if Mullen didn't go off injured. Watching Kurt Gidley try to win you a game from that position is utterly painful 9 times out of 10.

Mullen didn't even play in the Raiders capitulation.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Mullen is just another "good" half available to the Blues. There are probably around eight halves that would all perform admirably for NSW if chosen. The list is long.

On the other hand, Queensland has three GREAT halves at their disposal currently - Thurston, Cronk and DCE.

Thurston and Cronk offer something that NO NSW half has to offer, including Mullen. LEADERSHIP. DCE is a leader in waiting.

Both are leaders in their respective teams both on and off the field. Pearce and Maloney dont' strike me as true leaders, in the same vein as Thurston and Cronk. Neither does Mullen.

Campese is the only NSW half currently playing in the NRL that offers leadership IMO.

steve136

Juniors
He went off injured against the Sharks and didn't play against the Raiders.
So the case for him not playing origin is that he didn't play well against the Warriors in NZ?

Swarzey

Bench

He didn't play against Raiders due to the injury he suffered in the last 20 against Cronulla. Judging by the form he's had thus far this season, if there was anyone who was going to kick that field goal or score that try to win the game was him.

Don't want to even speak of the Penrith game. Apart from the scrum play that led to the try, everyone was just horrendous :lol:

Mullen is just another "good" half available to the Blues. There are probably around eight halves that would all perform admirably for NSW if chosen. The list is long.

On the other hand, Queensland has three GREAT halves at their disposal currently - Thurston, Cronk and DCE.

Thurston and Cronk offer something that NO NSW half has to offer, including Mullen. LEADERSHIP. DCE is a leader in waiting.

Both are leaders in their respective teams both on and off the field. Pearce and Maloney dont' strike me as true leaders, in the same vein as Thurston and Cronk. Neither does Mullen.

Campese is the only NSW half currently playing in the NRL that offers leadership IMO.

To me Thurston is the best player in the world, but the other two are no where near as good as him. How do you define 'great'? Both DCE and Cronk have always played behind a dominant forward pack and a very solid spine, Weather it's at club or rep level they've always had solid players around them to work of. I'm sure Mullen could be 'great; if you slot him into a melbourne, manly or souths outfit.

Big Pete

Referee
steve136 said:
So the case for him not playing origin is that he didn't play well against the Warriors in NZ?

My bad on the Raiders, I just remember it being a dreadful Knights performance and lumped him in. Like I told perverse, you could easily replace it with that bludger of a game against Penrith though.

However, as I pointed out my claim doesn't really apply to this season because he wasn't in the frame this season. In previous years, it was definitely the case. You could even detect exactly when the Knights fans stopped pushing his wheel barrow in one of those years.

Noname36

First Grade

Ridiculous. There's a reason Mullen is the Knights captain at the moment. He's the bloke that does all the talking on the field, organises the troops in attack, and leads by example with his defense and kick chase. How exactly is he not a leader?

Again, I'm not sure why Mullen is being compared to halfbacks when he's a 5/8. Comparing Cronk and Mullen in particular is like comparing apples and oranges.

What I find funny with Thurston is that as brilliant as he is (especially for Queensland), over the past 5 or so seasons I've seen him play more poor games than good. I'm not saying he's not brilliant, because he is, but why doesn't he cop the same inconsistent calls that Mullen gets?

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
All Maroons are godlike when they put on that jersey. All the blues become cats... That's been the biggest issue since 1980.

I think ARyenolds is definitely the future. I haven't seen enough of him to make a really great call on him but he seems to be the goods. One thing I'm worried about is his defense. Is it any good?

Also, he plays behind a massive forward pack, has Sutton playing like Fittler next to him and Inglis just behind him. I think that's what he has had over Mullen. Mullen had a pretty shocking team around him for years and I think this has stalled his development. If Mullen had been in the Souths' team, he'd be much better than Adam.

Next year I think Sutton should also get that bench spot.

Mr Saab

Referee
As has been said, you are aware that Mullen is a 5/8 right and not a half back? It's perplexing that you would have an opinion on him, but seemingly not know what position he plays :crazy:

Ok, so he is 5/8. Point still stands....he wont play origin unless there are injuires to Reynolds and Pearce. Why?
Cause if NSW win this yr, they will keep Pearce and Maloney
If (when) NSW lose, they will go with Sutton / Reynolds.

Daley will go with club combos, not mix / match

Shorty

Staff member
I rate Mullen.

He has improved every season, and has the best left to right pass in the game, kicking continues to improve as does his defence.

He would have been my NSW 6, with Carney @ 7 and defending left.

Agreed.

Latest posts