What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do people think of Chris Lawrence?

nqboy

First Grade
The wraps he gets and the armchair ride he gets into NSW and Australian teams have always puzzled me. The media laud him as if he's an out-and-out champion and rep selector seem to agree but I just can't see it.

Now before you flame on, I regard him as one of the better centres in the comp, strong defensively, runs good lines, good pace and so on. I just can't see that he has that X factor that stand him apart as others like Hodges, Inglis, Gasnier and even Jamie Lyon. To me, he's a level below those sorts of blokes with the likes of Tonga, Cooper, Tate etc, still very good centres, just not at the very top level.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
A fair summation, but he's a player that is tagged as the next Captain and a one club man. A good man, a great role model so far and an insturmental part of Tuiakis great tryscoring run before fate intervened. One of those players that nobody could dislike IMO.

Still regaining the form he had pre hip dislocation and will get even better I hope!

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Has has 2 average games in a row and has an injured shoulder

For the last 4 years has been just about the most consistent center in the game.

Has never played for nsw

I think you've answered your own question. He'd make NSW because, according to you anyway, only Gasnier and Lyon are better (and neither play Origin). And he has only made a couple of Australian teams when Inglis and/or Hodges are out.

Personally I would have had him over Gasnier last year and if Lyon was available he'd be on the right with Lawrence on the left. Having said that I think Jennings could play either side and it's only injury that has prevented him from being the best centre in NSW at very least.

gronkathon

First Grade
He has had a poor opening to the season.

Is a class player.

Origin will be the tester whether he has it to be regarded as a top notch centre. If given a proper run at the position and not the usual chop and change that has been the Blues in recent times.

A work in progress and still a few years younger than they guys you mentioned before they came into their own

Fordy20

Juniors
Every centre you've named is older and more experienced than Chris Lawrence. Also he has never played for NSW, you should know that because Tigers don't play Origin.

Shorty

Staff member
Anyone that dislocates their hip and comes back from it almost unchanged is amazing imo.

nqboy

First Grade
I think you've answered your own question. He'd make NSW because, according to you anyway, only Gasnier and Lyon are better (and neither play Origin). And he has only made a couple of Australian teams when Inglis and/or Hodges are out.

Personally I would have had him over Gasnier last year and if Lyon was available he'd be on the right with Lawrence on the left. Having said that I think Jennings could play either side and it's only injury that has prevented him from being the best centre in NSW at very least.
Fair points, but how does that explain the fuss that goes on when he is picked, like he's the Saviour or something. "Thank God, Chris Lawrence is available. We're good to go."

I'm not worried about his start to the season, I've thought this for years.

innsaneink

Referee
Fair points, but how does that explain the fuss that goes on when he is picked, like he's the Saviour or something. "Thank God, Chris Lawrence is available. We're good to go."

I'm not worried about his start to the season, I've thought this for years.
Youve quoted someone....who said that?
You?
Your MO is shining thru....making it up now.

typicalfan

Coach
Lawrence is a good club centre, not really amazing in the green and gold and yet to play origin. Anyone who says he is the best centre in the game based on that is biased or just trying to nominate someone under the radar. He got completely outplayed by Lyon last night, he did run a good line for the first try but Lyon won by knockout.

gronkathon

First Grade
Lawrence is a good club centre, not really amazing in the green and gold and yet to play origin. Anyone who says he is the best centre in the game based on that is biased or just trying to nominate someone under the radar. He got completely outplayed by Lyon last night, he did run a good line for the first try but Lyon won by knockout.

I thought Lyon was almost invisible last night. Will have to watch the game again

Raider_69

Post Whore
That horrid hip injury has not done him any favours and i dont think he's back to his best yet

at his best he imo, NSW's best centre and a class act.

Clifferd

Coach
...He came back from nearly a career threatening injury..it's the first 2 weeks of the season...he was defensively strong last night I thought, made a few really good one on one tackles but was quiet in attack. He'll come good soon though

hybrid_tiger

Coach
To say he gets an armchair ride into rep teams is f**king ridiculous.

He is yet to play for NSW, and he played for Australia because Hodges and Inglis were injured and Lyon has retired from rep football.

He is a great player with a good football brain. That horrific injury last season hurt him and he is yet to get back to his best.